Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: EMB-110?!  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Pilot Oatmeal

• Members
EMB-110?!
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:04:20 AM »
There's 78 EMB-110 in service in this game world, how is everyone making them work?  :o

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
Re: EMB-110?!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:05:54 AM »
I'm curious as well. I'm a huge fan of the EMB-120 series but the 110's ought to be way too small to work.

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:23:58 PM »
They're probably being for slot-holding until something better comes along.  With fuel quite cheap I bet they'd at least break even

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »
Well, I have been testing the regional model once again, this time with Beechcraft so far. No final call yet, but currently it works surprisingly well, compared to my last trials. I am confident to say that in current game circumstances, you do not need them for slot holding. More later, as we progress in the game.
Cheers,
Denis

Offline AndiD

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 08:53:55 PM »
Yes, last DoTM I was highly successful with a couple of Beeches until I swapped them for 30 seaters in the late 80s. Before that I managed to tread water for a few years even with Twotters but they are darn slow... The early EMB-110s might be similarly "on the edge" in that regard by being small, not slow. With the small props, fuel price is probably not the major issue though.

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:16:27 PM »
Yep, fuel is around 3-4% of turnover. That has never been an issue with props, except russian props perhaps. In the past scenarios and on past game engines, maintenance, personnel and nav fees have been the beasts. As I am approaching the first c-checks, I am curious to learn more about the impact of the changes.

And just to point out with memory from the past: The regional model we are talking about covers the small birds up to 25 seats.

Cheers,
Denis

Online Emaw Jones

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 09:53:32 PM »

Well my initial airline went down, I had a hedge for a year set too high, and got hammered on competative routes.  Still learning the ropes, and frankly, its been a bit painful!  :'(

But I read this thread, and it peaked my interest - so I hit the bankrupt button and started fresh - and going with an all short run (300 miles) EMB-110 fleet.  The plan is to run them four flights a day, serving the Midwest of the United States.  Dont want to bore anyone with details but if your interested in how it works out, let me know.

And if you feel like mentoring as well as monitoring (hint, hint) feel free to take a peak.

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 07:30:55 AM »
You may wanna consider having one further leg per day for the little birds. So far, it appears that the time in air is not as decisive as with bigger birds.

Cheers,
Denis

Online Emaw Jones

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 10:50:36 AM »
Started looking at that, some good markets appear to be within a 300 to 550 mile band of my hub.  Kinda concerned about what to pick as my secondary fleet group. 

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »
Honestly, I would recommend not to fly the little birds farther than 300nm. The RPK value drops significantly and there seems to be a bottom line somewhere for it to work. Even if you own the a/c, it makes really little money on these routes. I am also experimenting the issue right now, so no final call. But this is comparable to earlier scenarios and game engines, where distance played a significant role for the economics of this class air fare.

Cheers,
Denis

Online Emaw Jones

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 02:06:08 PM »
Right now the way I am structured, at 300 miles or less, running 41 pairs to 16 destinations with 2 major markets included.  I figure this is my base, and with 4 flights per bird, it looks like break even plus on all expenses, I contracted a hedge for a year at 100% more to be able to budget fuel cost as opposed to be a victim of them, but these things dont burn fuel anyway.

My next group of destinations are all within 400 miles of my office/hub, and thats 6 destinations with 12 pairs.

With so few seats on the plane, it really means that I have to turn planes around quick and keep them flying, trying to have 14 hours as average usage time daily.

Am I missing anything in my thinking, outside of the fact I might have over ordered (15 total aircraft) on Aircraft.  I think I'm heading in the right direction.

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »
Ewaw.

Your LFs are way too low, especially when flying the small birds on leases. Also your departure punctuality appears to have some flaws that cannot be explained by weather only. Paying marketing campaigns to get the CI up is not recommendable for the small regional business model at this stage. On the St. Louis-route, you should be beating the hell out of your competitor with frequency 7-1 for you, something is not right there.

Cheers,
Denis

Online Emaw Jones

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
Hi,
Thanks Denis for looking at my stuff, please double check it now and I think you will find its corrected, I had a B check that didn't get scheduled properly and while I was out for the evening it terrified the rest of my pax!

For some reason my Ground Crew and Small Aircraft Pilots were unhappy, I boosted salary in both catagories and added an additional staff member to each catagory as well, that seems to have silenced thier grumbling.  As their moral has climbed substantually.

I've done a total of 3% in faire increase to help compensate, all this seemed to be occuring as you peeked in, so I think were okay now.  But always feel free to take a look, I do need the help

The price I am paying for multipule slots into St. Louis seems high enough that it might be unrecoverable.

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 03:33:42 PM »
You may want to consider leaving the hire and salary function on automatic and perhaps drop your own salary (CEO) to zero, in order to improve you cash a bit there. I will take a look at the numbers tomorrow, when some game weeks will have passed.

Cheers,
Denis

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »
I forgot:

With the St. Louis route, there is still something wrong. The slot costs are only paid once, so they don't impact afterwards. But flying frequency 7-1 should not give you 43% market share only on that route. Your competitor should be happy if he got 5 pax into his a/c on that route. You gotta check on that one.

Cheers,
Denis

Online Emaw Jones

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »
I'm done - got a bankruptcy warning and don't see it being able to improve within the next real time week.

Going to retry the experiment with a less expensive airport, and a few less aircraft on the initial purchase, also going to try buying instead of leasing.  Frequency will be limited to the next size aircraft I plan to deploy on that route as well. 

It really is a matter of seats and butts in them.  If the plane is too small to make profit, your blowing into the wind to begin with.

Would appreciate all feedback on this second go around as well.

Offline Pilot Oatmeal

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 01:20:51 PM »
What I'd do if I was trying this.  Is lease maybe 5 of them, not too many, fly to as few destinations as possible, keeping those planes flying as much as possible 5 times ish, but not too much to that I over expand.  You have to keep Salaries as low as possible.  Low slot costs, and everything is good but salaries... Oh you need to make sure your employees are few and homeless.

Make those initial planes PROFITABLE and if that means they break even with C checks so be it. But at least save enough to purchase those planes out right.  So you have very few out goings.  That's the trick really.

It might not be possible with this engine, its too unrealistic, but if you can somehow figure it out you'll be hailed a hero.  I do think its possible with 30 seaters, but 15, its so low in this game. 

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »
Well, I would not recomment to skip c-checks or save on salaries. Marketing is definitely not necessary for this business model (<20 seats) as CI crawls its way slowly to 30 without any campaign over a few game years.

From my current status, all a/c are generating strong margin profits and C-checks were no hurdle so far. I am trying to reach the relevant cash levels to purchase the next bird. Starting with Beechcraft was a mistake as I did not take a look at the global stats initially, so 2nd fleet type will probably be introduced.

Overall, the business model seems to work on this engine as long as LFs are sufficiently high and a/c being purchased. I will see how another fleet type will impact.

Cheers,
Denis

Offline Pilot Oatmeal

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 10:01:12 PM »
I wasn't meaning skip them, I was meaning that if he had C-Checks and the net profit was only breaking even then so be it, just save up.  

Online Emaw Jones

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 06:44:11 AM »
I definately had too many planes too early, it doesn't matter that the slot fees are a one time hit, when your doing your eigth slot purchase to a major market, that 200K hit is still a hit.  I am targetting markets that are medium in size and do not have competition on them.  But these planes I am using are slower.  I am using a max range of 400 miles on my runs.

I have moved to a cheaper airport to operate out of, and am currently running 20 seaters, bought two outright on the used market, and leased three more at rock bottom

am only running a minimual general ad campaign, newspapers for six months.  Not running any route specific adds, and if fuel gets down to 1.70, I will sign a one year deal to lock it in at 1.77.

Staff is on automatic, I am not getting paid, good thing the wife works also.  The kids however are p***ed, now they need good grades for college scholorship funding, and now they have to work at it in school.   The dart board with my face on it was a cute touch.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.