Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Aircraft buying limits  (Read 1838 times)

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
Aircraft buying limits
« on: May 18, 2012, 12:40:17 AM »
Change the limit from 3 per week to 12 per month.

Result: the effective limit will be the same, but a player logging in once per day will not be at a huge disadvantage compared to player logged in all day long.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
Re: Aircraft buying limits
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:43:49 AM »
Sounds okay, in conjunction with the ideas in choosing selling partners too of aircraft. Just one thing, what would you propose with the two per day used aircraft limit? As 12 aircraft in six days still is 3-3.5 hours online real time.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:56:27 AM »
Sounds okay, in conjunction with the ideas in choosing selling partners too of aircraft. Just one thing, what would you propose with the two per day used aircraft limit? As 12 aircraft in six days still is 3-3.5 hours online real time.

I know what you mean about 3-3.5 hrs online real time, it is still a lot, but is better than 24 hrs...  Maybe if the limit was increased to 3 per day, that time would shrink further to 1.5 hrs per day...

I think if more could be done in the same time, it would prevent an AWS burnout some players experience...  You could still run, even a larger airline, and the game would be there for you, anytime you feel like logging in, as opposed to you having to be there for the game...

Offline Jona L.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »
I know what you mean about 3-3.5 hrs online real time, it is still a lot, but is better than 24 hrs...  Maybe if the limit was increased to 3 per day, that time would shrink further to 1.5 hrs per day...

I think if more could be done in the same time, it would prevent an AWS burnout some players experience...  You could still run, even a larger airline, and the game would be there for you, anytime you feel like logging in, as opposed to you having to be there for the game...

That is a really good idea :)

Even though I like being here 10-16hrs/day, but sometimes other stuff also needs to get done, and sometimes AWS drops out of a day's events... making it less "necessary" to be here so often would also bring down the server load ;D

cheers,
Jona L.

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
That is a really good idea :)

Even though I like being here 10-16hrs/day, but sometimes other stuff also needs to get done, and sometimes AWS drops out of a day's events... making it less "necessary" to be here so often would also bring down the server load ;D

cheers,
Jona L.

Same here on the hours spent on AWS, but TBH the burnout is starting to creep in and being able to log in for a couple hours, do my thing, then put it away for the day and know I am not missing anything is VERY appealing to me.

This gets a big +1 from me!
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:38:27 PM »
Same here on the hours spent on AWS, but TBH the burnout is starting to creep in and being able to log in for a couple hours, do my thing, then put it away for the day and know I am not missing anything is VERY appealing to me.

This gets a big +1 from me!

If you are able to log in only once per day, the limit effectively becomes 3 aircraft per month...  It would be great to be able to run an airline to my expectation, and not have to think in the back of my mind that I need to log in to AWS every 4 hours to see if I buy an aircraft or if somebody is waiting to get an aircraft from me.

Before I found AWS, I played this game called Travian.  To be a top player there, you pretty much need to be nailed to a PC or a mobile device.  I remember I was always looking for a place on a beach that had a good wireless data reception, because being away from the game could set you back.  Well, I quit after one full game world, because my life was revolving around that stupid game.

AWS was very refreshing when I started.  I would log in whenever I felt like it, and was able to create a decent sized airline in my first attempt at this.  I never felt pressured to be online.  But now, with all these limits in place there is a pressure to be online all the time.  And it just takes away from the enjoyment of the game...  When the limit was more sensible (6 per week), I didn't even know it was there...

As far as long term playability of AWS, if you have to go through fleet changes, you either get killed by the exponential > 3 fleet commonality penalty, or go insane trying to do it quicker with the 3 aircraft limit...

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:42:33 PM »
Before I found AWS, I played this game called Travian. 

Hahaha I used to play that. Always remember getting stuck near some German players who were very aggressive over the 9/15 wheaters in their vicinities (their description text was along the lines "All your bases are belong to us"  ;D
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »
Hahaha I used to play that. Always remember getting stuck near some German players who were very aggressive over the 9/15 wheaters in their vicinities (their description text was along the lines "All your bases are belong to us"  ;D

Re: "All your bases are belong to us"

I resemble that  :)
I started the game 2 months late (a lifetime there) and still ended up #4 player out of some 15,000 who started, mainly due to "chiefing" (stealing) bases from others.  I was #1 in that category by a wide margin...  Anyway, I played on one of the .us server.  Apparently, .com servers are the most competitive.  I resisted the urge to play a game there, mainly due to burnout...

Based on the number of servers, there were quite a few german servers, right up there with .com, .us and .cn IIRC, so the game must be popular in Germany....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:05:32 PM by JumboShrimp »

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 02:43:51 AM »
It makes sense when you can order limited number of A/C per week, because you need staff to do the paper work and everything else to get the A/C

What I propose is that, we should have an option of "holding" an A/C for a period of time, with a fee less than the leasing, of course. Then, we need another option to schedule ahead what will be done. For example:

Week 1: you ordered 2 A/C, and reach the limit. You can then put an/some A/C on hold with, say 50% cost of leasing, for X number of weeks
Then, you schedule the leasing of those A/C to be done on week 2, 3, etc...

So, when you log in 24h real time later, ~6-7 week game time, you have a fleet of 12 more A/C or so, instead of just 2

brique

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 03:44:04 AM »
agree with mrHP : but there is already a function which can be used, if modified, to do this :  as you can set the delivery date on the confirmation page, after your first set of planes (at 2 weeks), then setting for 3 weeks allows another set of a/c deliveries for that period, 4 weeks another set: allowing you to max your allowable a/c deliveries to cover when you may not be online : the cost is simple, same as now, the lease period begins at 'confirmation', or if its an outright purchase, you have to wait a bit longer for it to arrive ; in both cases there is that extra week (or weeks) lost revenue and running costs like insurance.

the coding that would be req is to allocate plane deliveries to a specific game week and enforce the limit that game-week only (also allows to include new aircraft deliveries in that limit if desired)

Offline FlyTO

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 06:00:41 AM »
Even logging in once a day for one hour does not guarantee that the used market will have refreshed and have that shining modern aircraft available or the plane that matches your airline's fleet commonality or preferences.

But if you were to be so ever lucky to find these very desirable planes after the used market has refreshed, that airline can essentially get all the planes quickly, leaving the rest again complaining about no desirable planes on the used market because when they refresh the used market, it will say "xx new planes refreshed" but none of the desirable planes are left for them because they were snatched up too quickly by one or two airlines lucky and early enough.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 07:01:59 PM »
Bump

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 07:32:25 PM »
Why not just make it where you can only get 2 used aircraft delivered per week and you cannot schedule delivery more than 4 weeks out?  That would effectively mean 6 aircraft in the first month and 8 in any rolling 4 week period due to the minimum delivery being 2 weeks in the first batch.  This lets players login once a day and the only disadantage they will have is aircraft avail due to not refreshing the used aircraft listing more regularly.  This will also help airlines flying smaller aircraft scale up quicker to reduce their overhead costs on a per plane basis.  As of right now, I can get 3 aircraft/week and not 4 because staff is busy taking delivery, yet I can schedule to have 10+ aircraft delivered in a single week.

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 04:58:10 AM »
I am not sure if I understand LemonButt's suggestion fully, but I think it brings up an idea:

Limit the delivery rate from UM, not the order rate.  Let's say 3 / week is maintained as a delivery rate.  If I log in once per day, and I order 4 aircraft, I would get 3 in a week and 4th aircraft 7 days after that.

The system would maintain a UM delivery queue per player, and aircraft could not be delivered until 7 days after the aircraft 4 places ahead of it in the queue...

And to prevent players from hogging aircraft in their queue, there would be limit to say 12 aircraft in the queue - maximum a player can currently order in ~24 hour period (if he is on all the time).

As far as ability to schedule, maybe nothing really needs to change.  24 hour worth of delivery queue is approx. 1 month which is approx. the lead time of new aircraft to appear available for scheduling.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 01:00:24 PM »
I am not sure if I understand LemonButt's suggestion fully, but I think it brings up an idea:

Limit the delivery rate from UM, not the order rate.  Let's say 3 / week is maintained as a delivery rate.  If I log in once per day, and I order 4 aircraft, I would get 3 in a week and 4th aircraft 7 days after that.

The system would maintain a UM delivery queue per player, and aircraft could not be delivered until 7 days after the aircraft 4 places ahead of it in the queue...

And to prevent players from hogging aircraft in their queue, there would be limit to say 12 aircraft in the queue - maximum a player can currently order in ~24 hour period (if he is on all the time).

As far as ability to schedule, maybe nothing really needs to change.  24 hour worth of delivery queue is approx. 1 month which is approx. the lead time of new aircraft to appear available for scheduling.

We are essentially saying the same thing.  You can order as many aircraft as you want in one week, but can only take delivery of x amount in a given week.  So if you order 10 aircraft from the used market, you may have to take delivery 8 weeks out because "staff is busy taking delivery" of other aircraft in the earlier weeks.

Online dmoose42

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »
I generally think this idea is a good one, except for the beginning of games, where limiting people's ability to hoard high demand aircraft has a competitive balance need to it.  Later in the game, when aircraft are more plentiful, i think this approach is a good one.

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 02:41:58 PM »
I generally think this idea is a good one, except for the beginning of games, where limiting people's ability to hoard high demand aircraft has a competitive balance need to it.  Later in the game, when aircraft are more plentiful, i think this approach is a good one.

Early in the game you would still have some limits.  Of course money, and there would also be a limit of length of the queue, which would limit the player to no more than he could order today within 24 hours = ~12 aircraft if player is online all day.

Offline [ATA] frimp

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 02:48:17 PM »
I like the idea of fixed delivery rates a lot.

big +1 from me!

BD

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 03:20:43 PM »

Limit the delivery rate from UM, not the order rate.  Let's say 3 / week is maintained as a delivery rate.  If I log in once per day, and I order 4 aircraft, I would get 3 in a week and 4th aircraft 7 days after that.

As far as ability to schedule, maybe nothing really needs to change.  24 hour worth of delivery queue is approx. 1 month which is approx. the lead time of new aircraft to appear available for scheduling.
What about the impact on the sell side?

If I understand this correctly, those wanting to sell or lease an aircraft will have to wait that much longer to get their revenue.

Could/would that be a problem? 

Perhaps not, if we think mitigating some of the advantages of a large airline (who is usually ordering huge quantities of new aircraft for resale) is a good thing.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:24:39 PM by BD »

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 03:22:29 PM »
What about the impact on the sell side?

If I understand this correctly, those wanting to sell or lease an aircraft will have to wait that much longer to get their revenue.

The money changes hands when the order is placed, no change from the current system.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.