Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: 767-200 launch?  (Read 1191 times)

landrover714

• Former member
767-200 launch?
« on: May 17, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »
The 767-200's project launch date is listed a February 15th, 1977 (from MT#6) and yet in this game world, in September of 1978, I still can't place an order for it or even see it in new aircraft.  Surely these dates remain constant between game worlds as they are based on fact and not affected by the unique dynamics of each game world, right? 
As usual, I'm sure someone will offer me a simple explanation I have yet to consider!

Offline alexgv1

• Members
Re: 767-200 launch?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »
The dates of the aircraft are real life dates +/- 18 months so players cannot predict exactly when the planes will come. These should be available by the early 1980s, if memory serves me correct then 767-200 started getting delivered in around 1982.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

landrover714

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 07:07:01 PM »
If that is the case, it is a terrible principle.  The game should reward vigilance and preparedness over chance.  It's not unfair for someone who's done the legwork to be rewarded, certainly not over someone who just happened to be online on whatever date this model randomly launches.  Successful airlines don't just get lucky, they plan ahead.

Offline Vanquo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »
True dat!

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 07:24:32 PM »
If that is the case, it is a terrible principle.  The game should reward vigilance and preparedness over chance.  It's not unfair for someone who's done the legwork to be rewarded, certainly not over someone who just happened to be online on whatever date this model randomly launches.  Successful airlines don't just get lucky, they plan ahead.

No need to say thanks!  :-\

The idea is that we know everything about aircraft when they come out, whereas in the real world things were unknown to them, and projects got delayed etc. The reason is not to reward the 24hour(/no-life) player, the same as has been done with the used aircraft and slot systems.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

landrover714

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 07:37:15 PM »
We're paying customers, I'm not going to say thanks!  You've developed an amazing game and the best simulation hands down but if someone is playing 24 hours then they're going to be online regardless of what random date you choose - so your point is moot.
Rewarding randomness over planning ahead and knowing what day and time to get online is just fair, anyone can find out when these launches are and those of us who do our homework shouldn't be penalized for it.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 07:43:56 PM »
We're paying customers, I'm not going to say thanks!  You've developed an amazing game and the best simulation hands down but if someone is playing 24 hours then they're going to be online regardless of what random date you choose - so your point is moot.
Rewarding randomness over planning ahead and knowing what day and time to get online is just fair, anyone can find out when these launches are and those of us who do our homework shouldn't be penalized for it.

Don't speak to me as if I'm the developer, because I'm not. That would be sami who also replied to you.

If you don't thank someone when they research an answer you are either too lazy or stupid to look for yourself, you do thank them; or you can become my paying customer for my expertise. I owe you nothing, I answered out of the goodness of my heart, which you will find is very limited. Last option: you get told where to shove it and not helped again.

minerva

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
We're paying customers, I'm not going to say thanks!  You've developed an amazing game and the best simulation hands down but if someone is playing 24 hours then they're going to be online regardless of what random date you choose - so your point is moot.

You've missed the point. 1. IRL potential aircraft customers cannot possibly 'plan' for models that are not yet launched, as you are proposing. At best they can guess what kinds of products are likely being developed. 2. in terms of game play you speak of fairness, but how fair is it that knowing the minute when a model comes out gives a potential advantage to a player who can be online at that minute compared to someone who is working or sleeping, and therefore cannot. Randomizing the launch dates is not perfect but is less objectionable than what would happen before: a very few players getting all the launch discounts.  Not that they make that much difference in the long-term anyway.

landrover714

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 07:58:07 PM »
In real life, airlines develop the planes with manufacturers and have every idea of what to expect, and while dates might be tentative 18 months makes a huge difference to my strategy - do I sit on cash for a big order or do I splurge on the used market?

Alex, I'm sorry - both posts looked like they were from Sami to me.  Obviously I'm just lazy and stupid for having mild-dyslexia - but I'll take that over getting angry and bitter about a forum post.  If you want a thank you, buy yourself a Hallmark card, this is a forum for discussion, not pats on the back.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 08:00:34 PM »
Alex, I'm sorry - both posts looked like they were from Sami to me.  Obviously I'm just lazy and stupid for having mild-dyslexia - but I'll take that over getting angry and bitter about a forum post.  If you want a thank you, buy yourself a Hallmark card, this is a forum for discussion, not pats on the back.

Apology accepted... good to see someone with some humility around here.

Your the one who linked stupidity and laziness with dyslexia, not me, nor will there be a sympathy from me. I have my own opinions and I'll keep them to myself.

And this forum is for whatever the users need it for, thank you very much. That includes this forums not being for c***s (except maybe me). Learn some frickin' manners.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:02:54 PM by alexgv1 »

Offline Jona L.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »
People... I see 2 solutions here...

EITHER

you keep shooting at each other, until administration will shoot both of you (just an educated guess, we had such stuff in the past already)

OR

you accept how the situation is and agree to disagree, and just both shut up in order to prevent any further battling

---------

Towards the actual topic an addement though:

You -have to- take it as it is, many players would like to get this or that thing changed, and complain about it. If you have an idea you wish to be added or changed, feel free to use the Feature Request forums and ask for them there.

just my 2 cents for both things,
cheers,
Jona L.

P.S. Spring time seems to keep bringing up revoltist behavior... damn, every year the same ;D (not actually against you guys, just noticing that such mood always comes up around Spring...)

landrover714

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 08:21:43 PM »
Thanks Jona, I cede my point.  I suppose if everyone had their one little change made, the game would be chaos.  It is but a small quibble for me with an otherwise spectacular game and definitely nothing to get my feathers ruffled over.

Your the one who linked stupidity and laziness with dyslexia, not me, nor will there be a sympathy from me. I have my own opinions and I'll keep them to myself.
You're...welcome.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 08:22:29 PM »
You're...welcome.

s***! Maybe I should get myself tested  :o

waplane

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 08:31:36 PM »
The +/- 18 month deal can be a problem and I have found it an inconvenience at times, but I must also accept that knowing exactly when a plane is going to come out is immediately going to place one person at an advantage over the other. For example, if a plane is going to be launched at 7:00 PM Pacific time on October 13th, I know I can easily sit up, eat my dinner and leisurely order the planes I want where as a person in the UK will have to wait up till all hours to order the same plane. However, if it is random, while the plane may be available for order at 7:00 PM Pacific time, if I don't know the date I may not be on when it is launched and the person in the UK has just as much an equal chance of catching the launch as I do if they see it in the morning before I do. Furthermore, simply because someone can play 24/7 doesn't mean the game must be built to their specification, there are people here with lives outside of this game and simply cannot play 24/7, and I am going to guess that they are the majority here and as such Sami would rather not drive them away by catering to a minority market.

And lastly, in real life, while airlines work with manufacturers to develop aircraft, delays can happen with a project. If a plane has yet to launch or is delayed (or a problem develops) some airlines will eventually abandon a project and purchase a similar aircraft from another company.

Depending on the route there are a few good alternatives to the 767 out there that could fill in for the plane on short term leases. Sometimes it is easier to leave a route open until the plane you want is available, but if time is an issue it helps to simply use an alternative on a short lease.  :)

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 09:05:52 PM »
I think this ones been covered guys.  I'm going to go ahead and lock this one before there's more potential for it to get a little more heated than it is right now.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.