Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Seeking a Mentor  (Read 886 times)

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
Seeking a Mentor
« on: May 14, 2012, 02:04:26 AM »
Hi Everyone!

I'm obsessed with air travel (UA 1K and AA EXP), and just discovered this game. I just opened a new airline in Jet Age 6, and I saw on the website somewhere that there is a "mentoring" feature where you can show your mentor your airline and route map and they can teach/advise you.

Would anyone be willing to mentor me?

For example, my first question is:
It seems that I have made a risky choice of home base (LGA) as there is a major player here called NYConnect that flies to everywhere and will compete with me on all my routes!  I guess Iw will have to fight a price war? Or should I ditch this place and move to a different base city? :o

On-going advice and mentoring would also be much appreciated.

Offline RushmoreAir

• Members
Re: Seeking a Mentor
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:59:13 PM »
To get a true "Mentor", visit the game mentor page (under the "dashboard" heading) and request one.  Your request will be sent to the pool of experienced volunteer mentors, and the first one to respond will be your official mentor.  An official mentor can see behind-the-scenes of your airline, so they can help you best.

If you are just looking for general suggestions, take a look at Swiftus' and Curse's beginners' guides in the general forum.  If you have any general wonderings, these can be pretty helpful.

As for your base choice, starting a full game halfway through can be tricky at larger bases (such as LGA).  You are free to give it a shot, but moving might be easier.  If you choose to stay, here are some tips:

1)  Price wars don't work as well as you think.  The most effective way of competing against an incumbent is having a higher company image (spend more on marketing) and run higher frequencies (4x Caravelle vs. 2x DC-8).  Keep your prices at or just below default settings.

2)  Watch delays/cancellations and aircraft condition.  If you fall behind on either of these two factors, it makes it much harder to compete.  A good rule of thumb is 90% delay and 85% condition on all routes/aircraft.

3)  Start locally.  Aircraft (with the exception of widebodies) are much more profitable at short range than long range.  Pack four 300NM flights rather than three 500NM flights.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 02:14:05 AM »
You may want to have Sami get your name change from Pan American Global/Luxury .....  I would mentor to help, but that's not a legal name for the sim.

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 06:32:57 AM »
To get a true "Mentor", visit the game mentor page (under the "dashboard" heading) and request one.  Your request will be sent to the pool of experienced volunteer mentors, and the first one to respond will be your official mentor.  An official mentor can see behind-the-scenes of your airline, so they can help you best.

If you are just looking for general suggestions, take a look at Swiftus' and Curse's beginners' guides in the general forum.  If you have any general wonderings, these can be pretty helpful.

As for your base choice, starting a full game halfway through can be tricky at larger bases (such as LGA).  You are free to give it a shot, but moving might be easier.  If you choose to stay, here are some tips:

1)  Price wars don't work as well as you think.  The most effective way of competing against an incumbent is having a higher company image (spend more on marketing) and run higher frequencies (4x Caravelle vs. 2x DC-8).  Keep your prices at or just below default settings.

2)  Watch delays/cancellations and aircraft condition.  If you fall behind on either of these two factors, it makes it much harder to compete.  A good rule of thumb is 90% delay and 85% condition on all routes/aircraft.

3)  Start locally.  Aircraft (with the exception of widebodies) are much more profitable at short range than long range.  Pack four 300NM flights rather than three 500NM flights.

Thanks a lot for the tips.
I've switched to DOTM4 rather than JA6 because DOTM4 is in an earlier stage..
I've requested mentoring through the menu, however, the request has just been sitting pending and not being picked up!

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 01:15:49 PM »
I've requested mentoring through the menu, however, the request has just been sitting pending and not being picked up!

...probably because it's such a new game - just about everybody is playing it already and you can only be mentored by someone who is not in that game. 

You might actually have been better in JA6.  There is a VERY bad time to join a game - I'd say between six months and 4 years in.  During that time there are virtually no spare aircraft as everyone is in super-expansion mode.  After that it gets a little easier as some people drop out.  JA is also an "easier" game - as was the airline business back then - virtually free fuel, lots of cheap planes... etc...  in JA you can make a decent profit with a 25% to 30% load factor. DOTM is a bit of a bloodbath right now.

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »
DOTM is a bit of a bloodbath right now.

OMG lol don't I know it! I am running planes 70%-80% full (even with near-full F and C cabins), but fuel is super expensive, and I am making profits on my routes themselves, but not enough to cover my overhead!

I have 3 707s, one of which makes 40k daily profit, and the other two only make 15k daily profit...is there a good rule of thumb for how much profit a 707 needs to make in order to be worth keeping the route open?

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 06:54:37 PM »
I fear you will have to calculate this on your own. There is a special overview of profits for every plane. But it doesn´t cover all costs like personnel, training, campaigns, insurance, c-checks. You will have to calculate these costs on a weekly basis per aircraft and deduct them from the "profits" to see if that plane wins or looses.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.