Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: cx flight versus load factor, cabotage  (Read 1205 times)

sthomson

• Former member
cx flight versus load factor, cabotage
« on: January 17, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »
Hey sami

neat game

I'm not 100% on this, but I think that when we're looking at load factors, we do not include cancelled flights in this metric...  I notice that if your flight cancels one day then your rolling 7 day load factor decreases.  That's like saying that the airplane flew around empty that day, which isn't the case.

We do have another metric called "flight completion" that allows us to measure how well we are doing at completing scheduled flights, and usually the one we look at is "controllable flight completion" (I'm not sure what controllable flight completion excludes, I think weather)

I know that there's a lot of talk of hub cities, not sure how you're going to implement this (or how it already is implemented), but I suggest that the easiest way to make this most realistic is to have free reign on your home country, and simple cabotage rules for international flights:  IE you may only carry passengers destined to or from your home country.

US based carrier:  ORD-YYC-YVR-LAX
The flight may have passengers embarking and disembarking at each stop, however from the passenger's perspective these are the itineraries available:
ORD-YYC
ORD-YVR
ORD-LAX
YYC-LAX
YVR-LAX

A foreign flag carrier cannot carry passengers point to point in a country.

Canadian based carrier:  YYZ-ZRH-DEL-ZRH-YYZ
on the first stop in ZRH passengers may disembark only, not embark
in DEL all passengers from YYZ disembark, and only passengers destined for YYZ may embark
on the second stop in ZRH passengers may embark only, not disembark.

A foreign flag carrier cannot carry passengers to a country other than its country of registry.

cheers

blumage

• Former member
Re: cx flight versus load factor, cabotage
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 02:43:31 PM »
But this will be unfair for many players whose base is in a small country. Let's analyze Switzerland for example.  It has only a few important airports such as Zurich and Geneva but most of the intercontinental traffic passes through Zurich. Italy has 2 major airports with intercontinental traffic Rome and Milan while France has only Paris Charled de Gaule. If we compare it with the United States the US has more gateways than any other countries. You have like Honolulu,San Francisco,Los Angeles,Newark,Dallas DFW,Detroit,Atlanta and JFK. What about Singapore and Hong Kong ?? They have only one airport to count on. I think that the current game system is already fine. Opening market will only destabilize game play. Bigger airlines will invade other people's airport. This also can happen with the current game, trust me.

Let's just say that the current game play follows the 5th freedom of air which is  the right to carry passengers from one's own country to a second country, and from that country to a third country. This things exist in real life so it is real.

sthomson

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:27:08 PM »
oh I didn't know this is permitted in other parts of the world.

blumage

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »
it depends on countries agreement. But you should see Europe who has implemented the 9th freedom or better EU airlines can make domestic flights in another EU country.
Let's take an example:
Air France has the right to fly between venice and rome without originating from any french airport.
A real life example is Lufthansa. After the big trouble with Alitalia. Lufthasa has based some of it's airplanes in Milan Malpensa and will connect Milan to the rest of Europe.

digifreak

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 08:52:26 PM »
And another example is Easyjet that is flying the domestic route between Lisbon and Funchal (Madeira).

sthomson

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:56:17 PM »
Yeah cool...  I'm in Canada where this is all strictly verboten.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.