Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: A Real Soviet Airline (foolish experiment)  (Read 9132 times)

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
Re: A Real Soviet Airline (foolish experiment)
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2012, 07:21:41 AM »
Obligatory Update:

I'm still alive with money to burn although I've had to pull some ancient Tu-134s out of the scrap yard to keep my numbers up. Anyway, I am now heading into my next big challenge: performing 13 $3,000,000 D-Checks. Two are already in progress with about half slated for this year and the rest to take place a year from now. These should carry some of my original planes into the 90's. At least they will look a lot better than the 15 year old pieces of crap I've been using as filler. Sadly only 7 of the original 21 Tu-134Bs I built will be getting overhauls. The rest are in the hands of leasing companies that want me to pay more than double what I did seven years ago.

The Tu-154B-2s I bought too soon are all happily leased out to Red Star Alliance members.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2012, 09:07:19 AM »
17-year-old Tu-134As or not, I am back in action as is the massively improved Red Star Alliance!  8) No Western aircraft and no BKs, where are my fans at? Let's hear it for the USSR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI9KBLb_8ro
Red Army Choir Sings 16-tons.  :)

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2012, 09:16:29 AM »
17-year-old Tu-134As or not, I am back in action as is the massively improved Red Star Alliance!  8) No Western aircraft and no BKs, where are my fans at? Let's hear it for the USSR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI9KBLb_8ro
Red Army Choir Sings 16-tons.  :)

I believe this is the most endured Soviet-only airline in AWS? Congratulations man.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »
I am now the sole operator of Tupolev products with 24 Tu-134As, 10 Tu-134Bs and 4 recently returned to service Tu-154B-2s. Vilnair backs me up as the sole operator of antique Antonovs for the time being and as co-launcher of the Yak-42D. I own 22 total including all the 134Bs and 154s so those will be around for years to come.

Offline AndiD

• Members
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2012, 04:59:34 AM »
With Vilnair, I actually put the Antonovs on display stands since I've started replace my interim DC-9s with Yak-42s, and the third fleet commonality penalty was rather harsh - and with 1,3 million for a An-24 C check probably for the better anyway. (For comparison, a 13 year old DC-9 costs 650k for a C check...)

Now it would be really interesting if the game continued past 2000 to see how viable those 154s and Yaks are when fuel goes up. :D

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2012, 04:52:46 AM »
And now comes my greatest challenge: The collapse of the Soviet Union.

Lithuania is already long gone having caused me to close a minor route but by the end of this month everything but Russia should be broken off and by Christmas I will have a new flag. (and hopefully a better tax rate?) I am continuing my modernization plan regardless and should own all my planes by next year. I mostly fly to the capitals of the soon to be independent nations so I don't anticipate much impact there but Ukraine is likely to hurt as I fly to six different airports there.

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2012, 03:48:33 PM »
When will DME airport open to international traffic so I can resume DME-KBP flights?

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »
The day russia goes independent. Christmas 1991, I think.

Offline AndiD

• Members
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »
Quick sidenote: The Yak-42 has a big advantage and a big disadvantage for me: On the plus side, it is cheap to own, but on the down side, the low production rate means you get max 1 plane/month, if you are lucky. Makes fleet renewal (interim DC-9 -> Yak-42) take ages...

Offline dmoose42

• Members
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2012, 04:34:16 AM »
Would you like me to buy a couple and sell them to you at market price?  Let me know.

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2012, 02:25:41 AM »
Wow! Bravo! This thread is awesome. It's fun to read it from its beginnings in May to now.

I'm impressed that you and several others have been able to successfully operate Russian beauties in the post-Beta game.
It's also amazing that you survived a near bking! Especially with Soviet planes!

Great job.  :)

Back in the Beta testing days and in the first game engine, I'd run hords of Tu-154Ms, and since I and maybe 3-4 other airlines would order it, I could expand way faster than any home or abroad competition. My favorite usuage of them was in ALG, with a mini-hub in Zurich. By the time the 737NG was avaliable, I had enough money to be the launch customer and replace all my planes in time for higher fuel prices. I wish that was still feasible in today's game engine!
Founder of the Star Alliance!

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2012, 09:06:01 AM »
Thanks to the slow production rate, I will most likely be building Yak-42s to the very end of the game. Tons of new routes have opened up although my competitors will get the jump on them since my Russian-only restriction remains in effect. Started selling first class seats for the first time this year. I wish I could have updated this thread in detail more often but I find that when you give too much info to the public competition can and will use it to try to destroy you.  :-\

I intended to never lease another plane but necessity forced me to do that to ensure that Yakovlev stays open indefinitely. At any rate I am on pace to become bigger than ever and am back to direct purchasing new orders as they are now a year away.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2012, 07:56:31 AM »
I'm starting to wonder what it takes to get the brokers to release planes on the used market when they should know there is basically just one buyer out there and he has cash on hand. I see 26 Tu-134s and just 4 Tu-154s that haven't been scrapped yet. I got the last of four 154Bs in the world and the last of just two 154B-1s which will leave them as the only aircraft of their exact type in my fleet. I do however still have all four Tu-154B-2s from when I launched that model. The three different variants has no effect on commonality as they all use the same engines just like the 134. As far as 134s go, all I have managed to scrounge up in the last couple of years was a single very old 134A (actually one of the very first planes I used at the start of the game) that I put on the Pyongyang route in honor of Air Koryo. I can't help but believe that the last two 134Bs that haven't been scrapped were among the 21 I built and I really want them back.

On the new production front, someone has acquired ten of the twelve modern Tu-154Ms built by Vlado Air before the Gulf War destroyed his Iraq-based operation and the Il-96-300 he launched is still getting orders although production is ridiculously slow. Only three Il-96s are currently in storage. Meanwhile between myself and Vilnair, along with a few other orders from outside Red Star, we have turned the Yak-42D into a truly successful model. I have coincidentally 42 in the air right now of 63 in operation and the 12 orders split across three airlines should keep production open throughout 1995.

I am making strong profits with all three of my fleet types (Tu-134A/B, Tu-154B/B-1/B-2, Yak-42D) as should be evidenced by my continued direct purchases of both new and used aircraft that approached $100 million in each of the last four years. Revenue cracked the billion dollar mark for the first time last year and continues to grow.

We've got six years left and my Tupolevs are due to get very very old but I can afford to maintain them and I think I have proven their viability.

waplane

• Former member
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2012, 01:43:31 PM »
I think I am the person sitting on the TU-154Ms at the moment, started picking up a couple of cheap 154s and they worked out so well I made them one of the most used aircraft in my fleet. What the game needs is a way to reopen a production line because I am desperate for more, at least a state run line should be kept open for Soviet aircraft. I am trying to keep the IL-96 line open as best I can but I am the only user and it seems that these last 7 IL-96s will be the last ones I order.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2012, 09:40:56 AM »
During a lull in aircraft purchases:

Profit Margin:
47 / 195   14.88%

People have suggested all along that the higher maintenance costs would be a serious obstacle for me and yet my Tu-134s range from 14-24 years old while the Tu-154s range from 14-18. Some of these birds are going to get a 2nd D-check and it really doesn't concern me at all. The old fleet is heavily outnumbered by newer Yak-42Ds but I was led to believe that 26 aging Soviets would be a losing proposition.

waplane

• Former member
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2012, 04:17:15 PM »
I've noticed the same thing about my 134s and 154s, now they won't do the best job all of the time against newer MD-80s and A320s, but if the lines were still open I would dump my 737s and replace them with 154s with confidence that I could continue to profit and grow. Profit margins can be tight at times and the company sometimes takes a bit more management than would be required with Western aircraft, but Russian built aircraft can work. If only those TU-154 lines could be re-openedů

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »
For the first time, I have 100 aircraft in operation.

Online [SC] - King Kong

• Members
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2012, 01:32:41 PM »
Respect for your achievement.

Now what about heavy competition, would you be able to survive that?

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2012, 06:56:01 AM »
I had very strong competition once people started opening secondary bases, outlasted more than I can count. There was a major scare in the mid-80's where I literally took out around $70million in loans and had to lease out all my Tu-154s. During that time a lot of leases lapsed and I dropped down to just a handful of planes losing much of my domestic empire. Russiavia had actually beaten me out of Domodedovo but he recently disappeared. La Lanterna currently controls Sheremetyevo and is making a strong push into my defacto HQ at St Petersburg. The Il-114s have allowed me to recover most of my former territory and I am still buying up anything that pops up on the used market.

I'm not sure how well it would work under the new system but in this game my Soviet aircraft usually beat their western counterparts in head to head matchups as smaller planes with higher frequency. The Tu-134 was especially good at this.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2012, 09:10:26 AM »
A small update:

Lacking availability of used older Soviet planes, I have of course been keeping up production of my pet project Il-114s. The reason I am posting again is that I find it interesting that these planes are still making six figures in 52Y Standard and 48Y3C configuration flying routes beyond the pathetic recommended range of 470NM. They can actually fly up to 800NM with less seats though I have yet to push them that far in hopes of still digging up some last minute jets.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.