Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: A Real Soviet Airline (foolish experiment)  (Read 9128 times)

Offline ekaneti

• Members
Re: A Real Soviet Airline (foolish experiment)
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 04:44:06 PM »
I tried in in China using Kumming as my hub in the last game. The Tu154s are actually ok. What killed me and nearly drove me under with the Tu134s was MX. Maintenance is very very expensive once you get to C-Check. Eventually I traded in all my TU134s for F28s.

The TU134B is no better than the TU134A. Usually the larger variant is more profitable (767-300 better than 767-200), but the 134B uses proportionally more fuel as it has proportionally more seats (ie 20% more seats, uses 20% more fuel), so you cant get ahead profitability with a more efficient plane like you usually can.

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 01:26:53 AM »
So how are all the CEO's with Soviet only planes travelling?
Care to give us an update.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 02:24:42 AM »
I just bought a brand new plane for $14million in cash, so I'm doing just fine.   8) The earlier crisis was due to my own stupidity in not updating my ticket prices, now making over a million a week regardless of fuel prices. My slow and steady growth strategy has allowed me to own 9 of 33 planes (1 on order, 2 leased out) and I am no longer leasing any new orders. Owning your Soviet junk increases profits considerably.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:27:44 AM by Troxartas86 »

Offline Artem Rodin

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 07:25:08 PM »
Interested in this project! Will try on my own. Have restarted several times in search of interesting scenario in this game world. Idea of soviet a/c only looks attractive!

So, my company is Soviet Wings based in Moscow, Vnukovo! I have no opportunity for mistakes as it will rule to bk and leaving gameworld. Will count  and think hard!

Looking for alliance in future! But have to establish first of all.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 10:15:08 PM »
Red Star will keep an eye on you.

Offline Artem Rodin

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 03:47:00 AM »
No good news on this point. There are only 2 routes with hige demand from Vnukovo. Others are around 20-30 pax per day. Have bought 2 used Tu-134. Planning to work on that 2 routes with great demand (Sochi and Ekaterinburg). When flying once a day to every destination numbers were OK, but opening another route leaded to significant demand drop and huge loses, althouth Sochi has around 200 pax per day...

Now I think that buying second Tu-134 was mistake. Deleted second routes, opened temporary to Pulkovo. Planning to buy-out lease after few month, if money permits.

Stay tuned!

Opened for advices! Realy need some tips to improve my financial status. cause with this way I will bk in a year or so... :(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:14:07 PM by Artem Rodin »

Offline Artem Rodin

• Members
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 06:30:22 PM »
No chance for me in Vnukovo. Was hurring while selecting home base. Only 3 routes with solid demand, other are 10-20 pax per day! Decided to restart in Sheremetyevo (deposited my account, will start gameworld once again!). So, Soviet Wings are moving to UUEE/SVO!

Stay tuned! First news from SVO will come soon!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:36:42 PM by Artem Rodin »

Offline Artem Rodin

• Members
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »
After thousands of counts and analysis I realized that that is unreal to start with soviet a/c only in this period of gameworld. First of all, have to build up my CI and this is really hurt financially. Fuel prices are on high level now for hungry soviet a/c. No way to grow for beginner among established airlines.

So, will try to conquer Pulkovo! Hope, a/c from west manufacturer will help!

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 07:50:13 PM »
After thousands of counts and analysis I realized that that is unreal to start with soviet a/c only in this period of gameworld. First of all, have to build up my CI and this is really hurt financially. Fuel prices are on high level now for hungry soviet a/c. No way to grow for beginner among established airlines.
So, will try to conquer Pulkovo! Hope, a/c from west manufacturer will help!

Also, the Soviet 40% income tax is harsh. If anything, the "effective" tax rate in the USSR should be lower than in the West due to the Soviet government's large subsidies of the airline industry.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 09:22:17 PM »
I think there should at the very least be a sizable "buying local" discount across the board that could increase usage of many ignored production lines, not only those in the Soviet Union. There could also be an "import tax" that might help cut back on those insanely long waiting lists at Boeing and McDonnell-Douglas.

The 40% tax rate is a little insane and has definitely hurt my ability to expand as it seems to always hit just as I'm about to save enough money to make a new order. They take about $2million a month.

spundars

• Former member
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 10:19:01 PM »
Well if there was an "import tax" I guess people would only be based in a couple of countries. I mean planes are made in Canada, USA, Russia, France, UK and that's the majority of all plane types. The point is good but it may need some adjustments in this case.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 07:32:29 AM »
Most Detailed Update Yet (Brought to you by too much vodka):

I'm still going strong but it seems that a lot of other people who order planes (often foolishly) and help keep my production lines open are dropping like flies. I try to scoop up their relatively new planes to augment my slow expansion but they are really hard to find on the used market. So far I've snagged two of the nineteen Tu-154Bs that were built without my help accounting for 50% of all 154Bs in operation. (so yeah, there are four of them)

Anyway, I'm faced with the Tu-134A, Tu-154B-2 and Yak-42 lines all set to close in a few months. The 134A is the backbone of my Leningrad base but I don't want to add any more unless I can direct purchase them as the remaining routes are under 50pax. The 154B-2 is a plane that I launched with three direct purchases and its considerably extended range has served me well. Having no idea when the 154M, highly anticipated at Red Star, will come into play, I'd like to get a few more of these but not if I have to lease them. Production of the B-2 has only survived to this point because of a BKed airline that hung on long enough to get one of two they had on order. As for the Yak-42, I considered it but ultimately didn't have much use for it but I'd still like to keep it in play as the best pax/fuel consumption ratio we currently have in the USSR, provided you can fill them. (I decided I can't)

I won't even discuss Ilyushin, I don't think there is any way to redeem the Il-62 series outside of Jet Age. That said, I was really touched when the Il-62MK actually got a launch customer years ahead of time but of course they didn't survive long enough to accept the first delivery this passed September.

This leaves only the Tu-134B without a current production warning. I built the first 21 of 35 total in the world and currently fly 21 of the 26 in operation. Some in Red Star think they are more profitable than the A series and that may be but you have to fill them which can't be done with the routes I still have unserved.

I'm concerned that if these lines all close, I will have a very hard time with fleet renewal when the first leases start expiring in 1983 but it's just not viable to order new ones now. There's more money in continuing to expand my medium/long-haul operation than in continuing to single-handedly keep the 134 alive. I guess I'm just going to have to have an older fleet as the years go by. Whatever I do, it's probably going to wait until January when I get my ridiculously large tax return.

Offline Artem Rodin

• Members
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 09:13:51 AM »
How are Siberian Wings doing in Tolmachevo?

Well, almost half a year have passed since company was founded. Now company's value is dropping slightly, but not rapidly, but C check on Tu-154B is coming! So, that's -500k or so. During my history I have had only 2 weeks with profit. Average losses are about 20k per week, not so bad! But, that's because there's another company is Tolmachevo, that rivals my route to Sheremetyevo. Also, my fuel hedge contract expired (220$), so that will be really tough to survive in future with Soviet aircraft.

Now my fleet is only 2 aicraft. Tu-154B - serving route to Sheremetyevo. Yak-42 - serving 3 routes with about 70-80 pax demand - Koltsovo, Dushanbe and Mirny.

Company image now is 34 and I have added radio marketing to keep growth going, cause my ticket income have rised since Yak-42 is operating.

Hope for good future and solid growth. From my point of view my rivaly will bk soon because of 2 Il-18 in fleet. Now they have -9mln value. May be my company will go on since then.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »
Well Artem, I have had a full national ad campaign in place from the start maintaining a CI of 70 but I am based in Moscow's main domestic airport and started with six Tu-134As before I ordered my next forty brand new. However, you have just two aircraft so it's not a good idea for your to spend so much on ads.  As you expand, if you expand, you may want to consider focusing on one aircraft at first. I have survived this long with excellent profits because I operated only Tu-134As and Bs with identical engines until this year when I added five Tu-154s to my existing 34 Tu-134s. I might actually be making a lot more money if I hadn't added the 154 to my fleet but my goal has always been to promote more than just one Soviet plane.

I have seen a few rivals go under but it can take a surprisingly long time for them to finally get shut down if the player simply isn't active anymore since they started losing money.

Offline Artem Rodin

• Members
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »
Yeap, agree with you. But, with only 1 Tu-154B, which was serving only route to Moscow with solid demand my ticket income wasn't enough to overcome company expenses (salaries, office rent and so on). So, decided to go with new Yak-42 over Tu-134s, because of higher pass seats and lower maintenance expenses. So, but still isn't enough... I have ad with newspapers, billboards and radio in home base country (Soviet Union). My CI is growing rapidly and now it's 38 after just 0,5 years of play.

Offline AndiD

• Members
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 02:34:33 PM »
As long as I'm only flying domestic and economy I haven't noticed a substantial LF gain from CIs > 20.

Offline Artem Rodin

• Members
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2012, 10:15:57 AM »
2Troxartas86:

What is your opinion about tech.stops? I have Krasnoyarsk 1800nm apart with 100pax demand. Plan to fly with Yak-42 (range 1100nm) with tech.stop in Chelyabinsk (800nm). Will my demand drop significantly due tech.stop?

Offline Jona L.

• Members
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »
2Troxartas86:

What is your opinion about tech.stops? I have Krasnoyarsk 1800nm apart with 100pax demand. Plan to fly with Yak-42 (range 1100nm) with tech.stop in Chelyabinsk (800nm). Will my demand drop significantly due tech.stop?

Demand does not change, you just lose a lot of copetetive force if someone else flies non-stop.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 03:05:50 AM »
I'm only running one flight with a tech stop right now and it's over 3,000 miles with a Tu-154B-2 (1920NM range with 3C class). I own the plane so it's modestly profitable despite all the fuel consumed. I'm planning to open another one around 2,200 miles shortly with a stop halfway, also with a 154B-2.

If you are running low on decent routes, I'd say go ahead an try it. You won't make as much profit as you would from a normal route due to added expenses and it may take longer to get LF up to where it should be but the routes are worthwhile.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
So I've lost all but one of the production lines I use now. I'd love to save the Yak-42 but I think the commonality penalties could potentially ruin me and I'm loathe to lease anything at this point. I still have some planes locked it at 80k/month so paying 140 or more is unappealing, particularly with my scarcity of decent routes at this stage.

Anyway, is there a list somewhere of what aircraft are included in the game? There ought to be an improved Yak-42 and another even longer range Tu-154 coming down the pipeline by the mid-80s that could help revamp my fleet in the coming years. Without those, I could end up buying up some real junkers for any expansion and never mind fleet renewal. There are a few brand new, barely flown Soviet planes in storage from my unlucky friends but they are hard to pull up in the used market.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.