Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: A Real Soviet Airline (foolish experiment)  (Read 9137 times)

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
A Real Soviet Airline (foolish experiment)
« on: May 08, 2012, 02:19:36 AM »
This is a fun little experiment I've been meaning to try for a while, set up a domestic Soviet airline that exclusively uses locally made aircraft. So far I am based in Moscow-Domodedovo operating six Tu-134As no more than five years old on mostly short hops. One of them is configured with 3 business seats for the small VIP demand on the longer Ekaterinburg route. I will be launching the Tu-134B next year with seven orders already on the books.

Aside from the obvious lack of profitability inherent in any communist designed aircraft, right now I believe my main challenge will be keeping the production lines open. It's likely that I'm going to end up using all of the variants of any fleet type I choose as production lines open and close. Slim profit margins make ownership unlikely any time soon. I might add a couple more 134As in the mean time but for the most part I will be taking this slowly and carefully.

Further developments such as my inevitable multitude of bankruptcy restarts will be posted here.

waplane

• Former member
Re: A Real Soviet Airline (foolish experiment)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 04:58:14 AM »
I actually have thought of trying that mayself at some point. Will be interested to see it done. Good luck. :)

Offline AndiD

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:08:07 AM »
Funny - I'm doing the same (based at Vilnius), although with the main goal of filling all the shorthaul demand to all over Europe after the fall of the iron curtain. So the time now till then is basically "saving up" - and it seems to work so far.

Still strange paying the triple amount for fuel for a few PAX less and much shorter range (An-24/26 vs. F27)...

DudeMcDude

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »
Shame you can't simulate the USSR Government funding you  ;)

Offline SGIrishFlyer

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:28:25 PM »
I had a short experiment with this myself, with an airline based in Kiev, in another game.  This type of 'experiment' is one of the things that attracts me to this game. 

The obvious problem is that there is no embargo (in communist times), or heavy taxes (in early capitalist days) on importing foreign aircraft.  Certainly at the current time of this game it would not be realistic for a USSR based operator to be using western types.  Given the vast and unique nature of the USSR could this not be used in the game model?  Some form of restriction in this area.

Indeed I think there needs to be a way of programming in a benefit for using home built types for all national airlines.  French airlines used the Dassault Mercure; BOAC / BA got the Comet, VC-10, Trident etc.  In reality they were not used in competition with 'better' types in the same way as can be done here.

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:46:17 PM »
There was talk of trying to allow a 'proper' Soviet airline as a few others tried and did not succeed.  I think there was a TU-134 based airline for a fair old while a couple of years ago and also the IL-18 seems to perform well.

In this thread - http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,24347.40.html - a few ideas surfaced, so this experiment might help again.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:49:28 PM by Daveos »

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »
Update:
$2million in the bank, 10 Tu-134Bs on order and still 6 Tu-134As in the air. LF at 70% with acceptable profits, CI at 34 and rising steadily with a national ad campaign. The lone plane with C-Class seating is filling them. Slow and steady.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 05:56:24 AM »
Update: Some like-minded individuals have formed the Red Star Alliance dedicated to Soviet aircraft. Together we just might get a lot more of these birds in the air. In my case, I am focused on the Tu-134B for the moment with some consideration towards the Yak-42 when it comes out in 1980. Profits have been excellent recently, the best I've yet seen so far in my career with so few planes.

Continuing the slow and steady expansion model, I now have over $7million in the bank. I intend to always maintain a fair amount of cash on hand to avoid any trouble with the notorious Soviet maintenance fees. So far the C-Checks on my used Tu-104A's have not been any trouble.

Offline pndsc

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 05:44:43 PM »
Im doing the same with Tu-154s out of Dublin. Just bought my first 154-B outright.

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 09:20:39 PM »
So we can expect a whole alliance to go bk instated of just one airline when fuel starts rising.....nice an aws first!

Offline pndsc

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 10:12:39 PM »
So we can expect a whole alliance to go bk instated of just one airline when fuel starts rising.....nice an aws first!

Watching a massive train wreck is more engrossing than watching two guys fall off a handcart. :P

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 10:35:54 PM »
^^^Could not of said it better myself....Amen!^^^ They have my undivided attention, I got front row seats and the popcorn....

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:41:12 PM by LOT767 »

Offline [SC] - King Kong

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »
makes me rolf at work bigtime hehe

Offline Jona L.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »
makes me rolf at work bigtime hehe

LOL it made me watch "Borat" again ;D

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 02:01:19 AM »
My planes have chairs!  8)

Offline Airbus101

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 04:31:55 PM »
I'm routing for you!    Fuel is now 217...   do you know your break even price for fuel on those A/C?

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 07:16:04 PM »
I'm just above break even right now it would seem though my recent losses are mostly C-Check related. This economic crisis began right when many of my planes were due. I've been keeping a good cash reserve but I am currently spending that trying to get more owned planes in the air. It could cost me my future expansion plans but I need more income as soon as possible so I can't wait for new planes to come out.

It's mainly the planes with the more expensive leases that are hurting me, most of the owned ones are still very profitable. I'm also grateful for that launch customer discount I got on the first seven Tu-134Bs ever built.

I'm clearly the flagship of Red Star so I've got to hang on as long as possible.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:18:20 PM by Troxartas86 »

Offline Airbus101

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »
I'm rolling in the cash, if I turn off my marketing I'm making $6,964 a Month

that 757 I want I'll have that in 5,887 months give or take.... Look out world!

Offline AndiD

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 09:24:37 AM »
... and I'm the hidden champion, 2nd in profitability % in the last quarter. :)

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »
Well, looks like the crisis is over and I made it through. I also just reset my ticket prices which netted me an extra million in revenue. That's a neat trick.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.