Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: it's hard to join the game  (Read 3948 times)

Offline meiru

• Members
it's hard to join the game
« on: May 05, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »
I'm trying to get into the game... but it's pretty hard, when you don't enter when the game starts... don't you think? it should be a bit easier to get loans for new airlines... it would be still hard enough for them...

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: it's hard to join the game
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:55:43 PM »
Probably the highest fuel prices now in this game world, so not the very best time right now. Doable, but hard.

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 12:49:13 AM »
you know... sometimes I start thinking, that gaming today is a waste of time... I'm speaking generally and not only about this game here... but, most of the time they're frustrating, because of either some stupid bugs or "behaviours by design" and on the other side because of those "professional gamers" who seem to play those games 24 hours a day and trying to optimize everything like ... I don't know... but it's not normal anymore... and what I hate most about simulations is, when they're not realistic and you have to do stupid things (if you would do them in reality), just to win... like e.g. flying during the night, just to have the needed frequency to be able to get enough passengers or things like that...

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 05:11:45 PM »
I would say that it is not a bad time to join MT6 now.  Aircraft availability is good, fuel prices just dropped below $1,000.  Some larger airclines bankrupted, creating new opportunities.

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:27:20 AM »
There are some big airports right now without a major home carrier, only bases of other big carriers that can't base more than 100 aircraft there, which is not near enough to cover even a part of the overall demand.

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 02:52:23 PM »
well... I'm trying a new strategy... I started with 7 CRJs ... but I'm not getting the LF > 55% so quick and making -200k per week... no idea how long this works...

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »
As mentioned about the fuel prices before.. And combined a thought about why realworld airlines also start to prefer turboprops on short sectord these days instead of 40-70 seater jets?  ;)

In other words, small CRJ is a hard thing to make money with the current fuel prices. Largest variants are not so bad as they already seat more than 100 people. But let's say a 50 seater jet with low 50% load factor.. Ufff..

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »
CRJs never work too well, you might want to read the Tutorials before starting over.

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »
Might be true, but it's really hard to tell how much the speed count's for passenger preferences and all these things... that's why I decided to take CRJs... and, the fuel costs alone doesn't explain the whole money that I'm losing

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 04:48:04 PM »
Well, compare CRJ200 and ATR 72-600 for example (or Dash8 if you want the speed). ATR takes more pax and uses less than half fuel. So try to half your fuel bill in incomesheet (or at least -40%) and look at the bottom line then, that's what I am trying to say.

Though if you have long sectors (?) then a "slow" prop like ATR may not work that well, but "these days" it's all about fuel economy, and also about maximizing your revenue.

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 05:22:54 PM »
To me it seems, that in this game you have to do it exactly "the way round you have to do it" ... there's just one way and if you don't do it like that, you will fail... I don't know... but to me it seems a bit strange. I would say, that it's not possible to take 3 planes (MD-90s) and fly profitable... e.g. hello from Switzerland is able to do this... otherwise someone has to explain me, how he would do that in this game... I still don't understand the passenger preferences here...

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 05:25:14 PM »
but in a way you're right... today it's all about maximizing profit... even flying passengers like cargo is ok, if it's cheap... I hate todays airliner seats... they're nothing more than a small piece of plastic... horrible!

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 06:12:43 PM »
I would say, that it's not possible to take 3 planes (MD-90s) and fly profitable.

Well, it's not MD-90, but my tiny test airline runs 4x F100 .. Monthly profit is about $2-3mil.

http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Info/Airline/4883/

(I haven't touched the airline for a while though)

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 07:11:37 PM »
I really would like to know how you did this...

Offline Jona L.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 07:23:11 PM »
I really would like to know how you did this...

Dumb question... he is the admin ;D

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »
... and he knows the algorithms. I know... in my applications I can also do things no other could ever do, simply because I know how the system works internaly.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 07:41:33 PM »
Well it is not even that difficult... Normal routes, normal schedules, even auto staffing and automated maintenance etc. What would you suggest I could do a normal user couldn't? Well, of course I know right away what is good and what is not so no time is wasted there in trial-and-error, but other than that it is pretty simple to get it working and there is no magic...

Take a look at the airline view and stats (link above), and the timetable too, to get clues, data and hints on how it was set up. Quite average airline, or poor even when considering the loadfactors and plane utilizations etc.

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
I can't, I left the world

Offline RushmoreAir

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 07:51:49 PM »
I can't, I left the world

If you want to run a more "boutique" airline, try setting up with E120s/DH8s + 757s/737s/727s in the main hub of a smaller country. Santa Cruz in Bolivia, for instance, or Kiev in Ukraine.  I have found this to be a very rewarding option, as you can micromanage a smaller airline and dominate your country, but still be able to operate those smaller aircraft without worrying about competition.

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 02:04:32 PM »
I re-joined this game world last week, and settled myself on a nice spot somewhere in red neck land. I'm now at six jets with three on order. (could have been around 14, but couldn't spent time on AWS in the last 3 days).

If you ask me, I think it is very easy to start up at this moment... but you need to know what you do.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.