Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Long-Haul Profitability  (Read 2826 times)

Offline alexgv1

• Members
Re: Long-Haul Profitability
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »
Well luckily for me I'm not your customer. Next time I try and offer you (correct) suggestions and advice on the forums watch your tone and ponder what I've said instead of whining how the sim isn't accurate. Things are different back them days yes, pretty much all air travel was first class exclusive to the rich and famous.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

ramsterdambo

• Former member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 05:46:44 PM »
It is 1956 go read a timetable for the period a lot of of long haul is historically served 2/3 times a week.

But let's just forget history and play the game like it's a low demand 1990 with older aeroplanes and cheaper fuel.

That's Airway Sim! My fleet of Comets is just a bunch of highly inefficient regional jets CRJs, and my Constellations are stretched Fokker 50s with extremely leisurely turnaround times.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:51:00 PM by ramsterdambo »

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 07:02:41 PM »
Well luckily for me I'm not your customer. Next time I try and offer you (correct) suggestions and advice on the forums watch your tone and ponder what I've said instead of whining how the sim isn't accurate. Things are different back them days yes, pretty much all air travel was first class exclusive to the rich and famous.

1.  I am a paying customer of this site.

2.  I did not imply your airline was "crappy"

3.  I did not fail to capitalize the first letter of the adjective describing your country.

4   I have read your curt, often condescending responses in other threads some of which have also contained ad hominem attacks.

5.  I do not whine I am pointing out obvious failures of the system (with links to the evidence) to correctly model/simulate air travel in the period purported to be represented in this scenario.

5.  I respectfully suggest that it may be you who needs to watch the "tone".

Miller11

• Former member
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »
I think its possibly time to end this before it really gets out of hand.

The question is what do you want from AWS? do you want a sim? or something that is 100% factually correct? If its the latter then it would be a very boring game as we would all have a quick look on wiki to know what to do next. these little quirks in AWS is what makes it a good game as it makes it a challenge not a very difficult one but still a challenge. I have a few L/H routes all of which make a profit albeit a small one, the reason I fly these and not more profitable ones, is to gain slots, so that when we have jets they will become the most profitable ones.

So while Alex may not be the best politician ;D (and when people who know me read this they will laugh as I'm not renowned for being one too) what he is saying is correct.

Also if this game was factually correct you would not have a base as Glasgow was not open in 56   http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3328

Hope your not offended

Miller11
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:39:53 PM by Miller11 »

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »
1.  I am a paying customer of this site. nobody denying this

2.  I did not imply your airline was "crappy" nope

3.  I did not fail to capitalize the first letter of the adjective describing your country. welcome to the world of iPhone blame Apple

4   I have read your curt, often condescending responses in other threads some of which have also contained ad hominem attacks. whats ad hominem? I dont mind gays or any sexualities

5.  I do not whine I am pointing out obvious failures of the system (with links to the evidence) to correctly model/simulate air travel in the period purported to be represented in this scenario. cheese to some whine to others

5.  I respectfully suggest that it may be you who needs to watch the "tone". below

I think you should learn the attitude behaviour cycle or employ it if you know it... 99% of my posts are nice and helpful and I give people a neutral level until they prove otherwise. Any other such posts have been because people deserve it by getting rude when I am helping them, in which case I have been known to say what I think. So if you want to change my behaviour it starts with you adjusting your attitude.

Now I am not going to start saying who is whose customer because if you read my posts then you would see what I do for a living. To be honest I was quite happy to leave it and despite your persistence I will take Miller's advice because I do not want to be banned again from another forum argument. Like Miller said I am not good at expressing myself I can never win my arguments but I can always win my fights and it's not a good way to live. Even me and he started on a wrong foot but we resolved our differences because sometimes you can put it down to banter or whatever.

Back to my initial point: in AWS, if you want to increase your C/F loads then improve CI, I find 70+ works for long haul well. Hope this helps. Have a nice evening.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 08:00:11 PM »

Once again, a moderator is present, as usual ..

So the two parties may wish to consider their words and tone a bit.

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »
I think its possibly time to end this before it really gets out of hand.

The question is what do you want from AWS? do you want a sim? or something that is 100% factually correct? If its the latter then it would be a very boring game as we would all have a quick look on wiki to know what to do next. these little quirks in AWS is what makes it a good game as it makes it a challenge not a very difficult one but still a challenge. I have a few L/H routes all of which make a profit albeit a small one, the reason I fly these and not more profitable ones, is to gain slots, so that when we have jets they will become the most profitable ones.

So while Alex may not be the best politician ;D (and when people who know me read this they will laugh as I'm not renowned for being one too) what he is saying is correct.

Also if this game was factually correct you would not have a base as Glasgow was not open in 56   http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3328

Hope your not offended

Miller11

To answer your points
Agreed

Accepted with reservations

Agreed

Good point but Renfrew is Glasgow's airport until Abbotsinch opens less than 2 miles away in May 1966.   Prestwick was the main international airport for the West of Scotland.  Elvis Presley's only visit to Scotland was a stopover at Prestwick on his way back from national service in Germany.  http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictures/1960_march_3_elvis_presley_prestwick_airport_scotland.html
I flew Air Canada to Calgary from Prestwick as late as 1983 although transatlantic operations were supposed to have been moved to Abbotsinch in 1980.

Not at all.

ramsterdambo

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
OK, this is getting ridiculous. My CI is at 82 and rising, and yet my daily load factors from TLV to JFK have gone down from ~40% to around 10%. There's supposed to be 260 passenger demand for the route including very high premium demand. Is anyone successfully flying transatlantic with passengers on board?

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 12:20:27 AM »
you can not fly a plane with a disproportionate amount of business/first on it. 

ramsterdambo

• Former member
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 12:35:17 AM »
Now there's a kick in the crotch. What would constitute disproportionate in your view?

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 12:57:54 AM »
It is an in-game rule.  Ask Sami.  You can not fly business/first only planes.    Blame Magic Carpet.

ramsterdambo

• Former member
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 01:09:47 AM »
I wouldn't call 60Y, 12C, 2F a disproportionate amount of premium seats though.

minerva

• Former member
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 01:11:35 AM »
You are right, that's not out of whack.  How many flights a week do you have, how long has the route been going and what is the RI?

ramsterdambo

• Former member
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 01:15:19 AM »
9 flights a week, it's been going on for a few months now, and RI is around 70 and rising.

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 04:02:50 AM »
9 flights a week, it's been going on for a few months now, and RI is around 70 and rising.

You are making the horrible mistake of trying to create an accurate representation of a long haul flight for this period by using a fuel stop in Shannon as soon as you can fly it like it's the mid 70s onwards all will be fine.

ramsterdambo

• Former member
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 06:05:49 AM »
At least stripping out some C seats and the F seats seems to have worked to improve LF. Damn you, Airwaysim.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
At least stripping out some C seats and the F seats seems to have worked to improve LF. Damn you, Airwaysim.

Dont be mad.  The high brow customers just dont trust your airline yet...... that's the way to look at it  ;)

Also, you may wait on reconfiguring.  Once your RI is 100 and CI is above 80, you should be filling those seats up.  Unless there are other factors not included (like someone else competing with a direct flight at a better hour at a cheaper price more frequently)

Offline karn39

• Members
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »
I think flight length does a lot matter and 1-stop should be enough, more stop more hurt on LF.

I acquire Brittannia early to fly SIN-LHR route. It takes 23hr outbound and 21 inbound by B175. The LF is around 30-40% with Y36/C20/F2 config.

Later in game, when I've got B707 (Y120/C10/F2). Thing has changed. The better flight length will get more LF on the same route. But I also think that even you fly Jet with the flight length of 22+ hrs. It won't get much customer anyway. Until the newer technology is suited the route, you might plan it then.

BTW, I still run my SIN-LHR route on Brittannia. They still make money around 23,XXX/round trip. When I see my profit is at my satisfaction. Then I reconfigure my plane to suit what customer needs to Y80/C3. LF is rise back around 70% with the same profit.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.