Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: How is the DC-7 series better than the DC-6B?  (Read 1501 times)

sentprime117

• Former member
How is the DC-7 series better than the DC-6B?
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »
So I was comparing the already available DC-6B with the newer DC-7 series and I can't figure out how the new aircrafts are better. The 6B carries more passengers than all three 7 series aircraft, burns less fuel/hr, has a greater range than the 7 and 7B, is only marginally slower and much cheaper than all three 7 series. Why would anyone buy the new aircraft? Am I missing something here?

Offline schro

• Members
Re: How is the DC-7 series better than the DC-6B?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »
Historically,  Donald Douglas would build a new plane type for anyone that asked. I"d have to get a few books out to confirm, but the biggest concern in the Jet Age era was speed - an extra 40mph gave bragging rights to airlines for being the fastest to be able to do a transcon. On paper, it should be capable of transatlantic flight, whereas the 6B would come up short, especially with a full load.

Sadly enough, most DC7's were beer canned rather quickly due to the unreliable engines - the Wrights weren't reliable, where as the DC6 soldiered on with its Double Wasps... Overall, it was a plane that was too late in the game with all of the jet liners on the horizon.

I haven't been in a JA era game in a while, so I don't recall the stat comparison between the two...

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »
Yes the later and more powerful radial engines became very unreliable as some of them ended up having 28 cylinders arranged into 4 rows of 7. The last two rows often did not receive enough air flow cooling and cylinders would overheat or explode in cruise. Long live the gas turbine engine!
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline chiveicrook

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:49:34 PM »
DC-7C has better range and carries the same amount of PAX. Some people might be just able to skip a tech stop...
Otherwise? no idea :-)

sentprime117

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »
In real life, yes the DC-7 was better. I was only talking about the game world. Here the DC-7C carries 90 pax compared to the 6B's 106. The 7C has a greater range but the baseline 7 and 7B are inferior to the 6B in nearly every aspect except cruising speed.

Offline chiveicrook

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:58:44 PM »
DC-7C carries 90 pax in standard seating though (so same HD as DC-6B).
I agree about reg -7 and 7B though. DC-6B looks better.

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:39:42 AM »
The DC-7 was like the Connie, "the best three-engine airplane ever made".

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 12:42:28 AM »
True.. Both were known to land with half as many engines they started with.  Was it really regular?  Not really.  But by today's standard,nthose planes would have been grounded

jumbo Mouse

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 02:18:31 AM »
But we do get away lightly with the DC4/6 and 7

Reason being they burn more oil then fuel, lucky they aint charging us for the oil burned, remember the days when you see one starting up, then you dont see it anymore because of the smoke, or it caught fire...LOL

Also the flight engineer used to use a pump to pump oil to the engines during flight!!!

Great era, when airlines where respectable outfits and when airline pilot where the bees knees, and also paid like it...:)

But damn, its hard to make decent cash......:(

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 02:36:13 AM »
I remember a poster of the era welcoming the jets saying "no warm-up time!!!".

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 12:27:12 AM »
But we do get away lightly with the DC4/6 and 7

Reason being they burn more oil then fuel, lucky they aint charging us for the oil burned, remember the days when you see one starting up, then you dont see it anymore because of the smoke, or it caught fire...LOL

Also the flight engineer used to use a pump to pump oil to the engines during flight!!!

Great era, when airlines where respectable outfits and when airline pilot where the bees knees, and also paid like it...:)

But damn, its hard to make decent cash......:(

Here's a video and I am not sure that this is a "from cold" start either Red Bull DC-6 Start-up and TO oh and turn the sound up!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLMmdx7y5-4

as for the cash it is now officially easier to acquire planes than to schedule them given the exorbitant slot costs - yes and I understand why.

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 12:29:21 AM »
and for the Connie and DC3 users

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J-yhWycREI

minerva

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »
Historically,  Donald Douglas would build a new plane type for anyone that asked. I"d have to get a few books out to confirm, but the biggest concern in the Jet Age era was speed - an extra 40mph gave bragging rights to airlines for being the fastest to be able to do a transcon.

Not just bragging rights. It takes the 6B over 9 flying hours to reach its maximum range. A 7B or 7C does that range in just about 8 hours. An hour or so less time onboard would surely have been appreciated by Pax. In real life people do sometimes choose their carrier on the basis of comfort and speed, though as we know, in AWS, not so much.

As to the 7, useful for commonality purposes, but that is about all.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.