Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Starting in JA  (Read 2680 times)

moberg

• Former member
Starting in JA
« on: March 07, 2012, 12:12:42 AM »
Hi all, I'm pretty new to this game and am looking forward to JA6.

So far I've only played the beginner's world and that was toward the end of the game world.

Looking through past posts it sounds like it is difficult to get used aircraft at the beginning of the game. What do most people do?  Keep a watchful eye on the market? Lease new?

What kind of aircraft do people try to start with? Are DC-3s too small to make money? Are the DC quads and connies worth it, or do their costs make them dinosaurs in the jet age?

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
Re: Starting in JA
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 03:47:55 AM »
Personal opinion, so anyone who wants to disagree or add to this please feel free.

In the beginning, I am a fan of the HS 748's and Convair's for short haul and the Bristol Britannia's for longer haul (they are slow but sip gas). The DC-3's will be available by the hundreds simply because in AWS their range is only 240nm. Avoid them. Other decent options are the L188, the Vickers Viscount, and the IL-18 (especially later models). For early jets, look at the Caravelles as later models (10 and 12) are profitable until the end.

Don
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline psw231

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »
 JA6 will be a good next step for all members moving up from BW as it is a more forgiving full world and there are many ways to get an airline started successfully in this era.

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »
JA6 will be a good next step for all members moving up from BW as it is a more forgiving

I agree.  You can opt for a "bad" fleet and still survive so long as you do most other things right.  With low fuel and staff costs you only need a 40% ish load factor to make a profit anyway.

I agree - avoid the DC3's - they're tempting because of the huge numbers available.

EVERYBODY seems to go for the Dc6 (especially the B model) - these usually disappear within seconds and go for a very high price.  People continue to operate them well into the late 60's and they still make money on ceratin routes.

My favourites, and others I've experimented with are:

Initial Short Haul.  

Vickers Viking - for the thinnest routes or where you need to grab slots quickly.  32HD seats, 360nm range.  A bit slow but cheap to lease and maintain and readily available.  A good way to make your presence known quickly and cheaply.
Nord Nortalas - for longer or busier routes (560nm range). 45HD seats and C class is available too.
DC4 - usually readily available but not as good as the above (imo).

High deman short-haul

I like the Viscount - 74 seats in the larger ones and a good range and speed.

Long term replacement for short haul

Fokker 27 (Mk200).  Fast, long range, quite big.  These you can keep right through the whole game.  The only downside is no premium seating allowed.  I always seem to end up with at least 100+ of these.

Initial long haul:

DC6B - DC7 if you want to order new ones.
there are others but I've not got much experience as I usually jump straight to jets.

Eventually aim for a large fleet of DC8 or 707 but also I like the VC10 - it can compete better on frequency and is available quite early on with a good long range.

There are many other options and everyone will have their own ideas.  Don't overlook the early Russian aircraft - they're (mostly) nowhere near as "bad" as the Jets of the 80's and are readily available at the start.

That first few years is certainly interesting due to all the "unusual" options available to you.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:56:14 PM by knobbygb »

Offline bdnascar3

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 03:47:42 PM »

The DC-3's will be available by the hundreds simply because in AWS their range is only 240nm.

Why 240nm? In real Life the DC3 got around 1000NM.

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »

That is a question for Sami  ;)
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »

Depends if you want to carry 12/14 passengers or 30. Default config is max capacity. As I'm sure you know range is related to payload.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.