Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Paying only for the new seats when reconfiguring aircraft  (Read 1365 times)

Jps

• Former member
Paying only for the new seats when reconfiguring aircraft
« on: January 15, 2009, 02:45:41 PM »
So, I know this has been mentioned before, but I don't think this has an own thread.
However, I really think that this should be added, because especially on smaller companies and aircraft you may only need some 6 C seats for an aircraft of 100 Y seats. So, I feel it is pretty outrageous to pay for 6 business seats and some 90 Y seats just to get those 6 business seats, for they really don't give that much more profit, but still give some, and would be good when you didn't have to pay for th Y seats again.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Paying only for the new seats when reconfiguring aircraft
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 04:03:10 PM »
How would you see the user interface in this case .. ie. what would be the easy-to-use method?

Dazwalsh

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »
this is what i think, may well make it harder but here goes

you receieve a new aircraft, its assuming you have seats installed that fit your airline colours, seat layout etc, grand but recieving a used aircraft means the seats are still in the old airline configuration, colours etc.

I think, when changing configuration of new aircraft  after you receieve them it should jsut alter the layout and charge accordingly, rather than replacing the whole lot. so say you want to add 6 new C class seats it takes out a certain number of y class seats.

But for used aircraft i think that if you change the configuration it should charge you for totaly new seating as its installing your airline seats and removing old airline seats. then after the first configuration if you need to go back and modify it it charges you just the amount for the alteration, not for brand new seating.

also to make it that bit more interesting if you are flying an aircraft in an old airlines configuration it decreases route image until you change it.

I get this idea from Aer Lingus, their long haul fleet has a mixture of brand new seating and old shoddy seating, obviously poeple talk about how nice etc the new seating is on the newer planes and complain about the old ones especially as there is no IFE on them, Aer Lingus have had to respond by taking these aircraft out of service this year to change to new seats and IFE systems.

now i think IFE should be added as an option to the configuration, at a huge expense i imagine but that in turn would give you more advantages on routes where there is competition, just a thought.

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 04:30:51 PM »
One way to do this could be to not measure the seating differently for each aircraft, but for each company. And by this I mean, that the company has a storage for seats, and that if you for example take half the seats off of an airplane, those seats go to that storage and can then be used in other aircraft. The airline would also be able to buy new seats (either via the configuration window, or from the storage itself, which would make the process a bit more complicated) if it hasn't got them yet (like new C seats).
Now, this of course has real benefit only, if the seats used in every aircraft are the same, as I've understood is the case at least for now?

Anyways, the idea would be, that when the airline wishes to add those 6C seats, the airline could either buy 6 C seats or take them from storage, if there are spare ones left. Then, there will be some extra Y seats left over while making space for C seats, so the Y seats would again go to the storage. This way, all other seats would remain in the plane without having to buy them all again, and the seats taken away could also be reused (I doubt that when an airplane is configured in the real world, the seats are put into carbage).

Cody

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 11:02:30 PM »
or what if when you go to configure an aircraft, you are refunded the price of the seats that are already there (lower price than new ones of course), then you charge for every seat like you do now. example: if your aircraft has 20 seats priced at $1 per seat, you'd be refunded $20 for the old seats. then you decide to put in 10 seats priced at $10 per seat so it costs you $100.

tofen

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 07:08:13 PM »
or what if when you go to configure an aircraft, you are refunded the price of the seats that are already there (lower price than new ones of course), then you charge for every seat like you do now. example: if your aircraft has 20 seats priced at $1 per seat, you'd be refunded $20 for the old seats. then you decide to put in 10 seats priced at $10 per seat so it costs you $100.

That sounds like a good idea to me.

On thing that bugs me, is that when ordering new aircrafts you will get a certain amount of Y-class seats for free. But if you want to change the configuration, you have to pay both for the F/C-seats AND for a smaller amount of Y-seats than what you would else have gotten for free.

I think it would be better if the price for a standard seating configuration would be deducted from normal sales price for a new plane, and you would then have to pay for each seat you wanted to add to it.

And for used aircraft, Cody's idea is great. You get a certain percent of the value of the old seats back, and then you have buy new seats for the whole plane. The percentage you get back could be based at the age of the seats (maybe adding a "last refitting date" the same way as "last D-check date" etc.) and the airplanes general condition. It could also just be a static value if it's to tricky to implement something else.
It might not be exactly how it's done in the real world (since they usually only change one class at the time) but a lot better than what it is now.

Offline powi

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 01:55:47 PM »
Used planes: Check how many same type (eg standard business) seats were in the old configuration -> deduct corresponding amount of money from total price. Add some basic fee for every configuration change (eg $500 times max pax count). This includes removing unneeded benches and repositioning existing seats. It also makes it less appealing to configure aircraft to 6Y conf just before end of lease.

New planes. Deduct price of all installed default seats from the price of the new conf. Don't add any basic fee.

User interface: New line in the Summary (aircraft configuration) Reused seats xxY/xxC/xxF | -$xxxx

calibranr

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 12:55:14 AM »
I don`t know if we are allowed here to compare with another online based airline simulators. but...

I play AS more than a year (A real one), so over ther they use another method.

When you got a new plane to your fleet (USed or Brand new) it cames ALWAYS empty, it`s up too you buy the interior, the quality of the seats, the quality of the decorations and the onboard services (like fax machine, inflight entertainment) and so on....

you have 5 different types of seats, if u choose the poor, you will occupy les space for an assent. But if you chose the better you occupy more space.

You can balance the interior occupation by a 0-100% "meter".... So no assents, 0%, fully loaded 100%.

And offcourse any type of assent has their price, so at the ende you got the total price for that aircraft interior.

After create an interior, they could be saved and next time you need it, just select in a list and, the price is deducted from yout account.

Much more realistic, because in real life, specially brand new planes, the interior are totaly apart from the manufacturers.... (Most Cases)....

In fact in real life exists company`s that design and install interiors for aircrafts....

So, if u are real tight needing some money, u could stop a plane, sold that interior and use the money for lease another plane for exemple.... when your cash goes up, u buy another interior and put your plane to fly again....

Wel, looks complicated, but i can guarantee you, the user interfance is quite simple.... But don`t have any idea how to make this work (PC Programing talk...)

Best regards

Note: It`s not about copy another game, but just to bring some ideas that i see out there, in fact ideas that work.

Offline JJP

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 02:17:35 AM »

On thing that bugs me, is that when ordering new aircrafts you will get a certain amount of Y-class seats for free. But if you want to change the configuration, you have to pay both for the F/C-seats AND for a smaller amount of Y-seats than what you would else have gotten for free.

Yes, I was very surprised to find I would have to pay for economy seats I normally get for free when ordering a new aircraft!!

Snippe1

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 06:00:55 PM »
Dear all,

I am working on the engineering department of an aircraft maintenance organization. We are doing a lot of interior refurbishments, inspections, modifications and other related maintenance activities.

I would like to add the following to this topic:

When you are buying a new plane from factor, there are always some standard configuration options. i.e. you do not buy a empty aircraft, the aircraft manufacturer needs to certify his aircraft including aircraft seats.

It is possible that the manufacturer chooses for a third party to do the design for this, however it is part of the aircraft's empty weight and certification process.

For Airwaysim i would suggest to add an additional step in the aircraft configurations, for example standard config for economy seats as now and the option to change the config with only the extra costs of the different type of seats. i.e. if you would like to install more advance economy seats you pay the difference between the normal seat and the more advance seats, same for first class seats and business seats. For a second hand aircraft you can do the same, with one exemption, to add additional cost for removing and re-installing the economy seats (to allow them to be changed in your company colors). these costs will be less than buying them new (as it is know in the game), letís say 30 to 50 percent of the new value of an economy seat. of course you have to pay the new price of the first and business class seats. And if you want to upgrade the economy class seats then you would also have to pay for the normal price of these seats. since in a second hand plane the seats are already installed, which is not the case with an new aircraft (they have to be ordered at your demand.

Please let me know how you think about this, or if you want more information which you think I can help please let me know. I hope my explanation was a little bit clear.

Thanks.

Snippe1

samomuransky

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 07:29:46 PM »
Well, in my opinion, we should pay just for new seats + some fixed reconfiguration charge (for people working on that).

Also, I would appreciate more default configs for free (at least Y only, Y+C and Y+C+F for long-haul, Y only and Y+C for other aircraft).

Offline hmellouli

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »
bringing this back to life...

sami, is this technically feasible? I like have F and C classes in my aircraft, and I'd love to be able to pay for just the new seats, rather than the whole plane. logically, if I were adding an F and C cabins, I'd only remove enough Y rows to accommodate the new seats, rather than replacing the entire cabin, unless the whole cabin is old.

if we have to re-do the whole cabin, can we at least get some good some CI and/or RI improvement out of it?

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.