Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Are Russian planes ever worth it?  (Read 954 times)

Offline pndsc

• Members
Are Russian planes ever worth it?
« on: February 19, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »
So thanks to the advice in my last topic, Ive now got to the stage where Ive opened a second base airport for the first time ever. :D

Now, I'm looking at aircraft for expansion. Now that the production of the MD-80 series has ended, I'm looking at MD-90 aircraft for my domestic routes and looking at the MD-90ER for longer ranges.

I thought about getting some Tupolev 204-220s for novelty value (plus theyre cheaper than the equivalent 757) but largely they seem to be quite poor at making money since they burn a lot of fuel, maintenance costs are pretty high and at around 2000NM the MD-90ER will beat the socks off of it thanks to low fuel consumption and shorter turnaround time.

Is this the best that the russians have to offer? Or are there better russian aircraft just around the corner? :/

Ilyushin

• Former member
Re: Are Russian planes ever worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 01:37:05 PM »
I'd get a Tu-204 if I needed a 757 for shorter missions.

The Sukhoi Superjet, An-148 and An-140 are better competitors to their western equivalent than the Tu-204 is.

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:38:41 PM »
If you get the Tupolev 204-220 I think it is, with the Rolls Royce engines, the fuel consumption is comparable to the 757. It's only drawback is the longer turn around but if you take into consideration that the wait times are usually shorter, they could be worth it on routes they are build for. I have been profitable with them before.

As Ilyushin already said, the Sukhoi Superjet is a fantastic little money maker later in the game and the Antonov 140 is a good prop with good range. I never used the 148 but I'm guessing they could work.

Modern Time russian planes aren't as bad as people think. They have some drawbacks but most of the times a much shorter wait list.
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Offline pndsc

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:16:13 AM »
Well I took the plunge and ordered a rolls-engined 204 for delivery in the spring, mainly because it can reach just that little bit farther than the MD90 can to get to some large destination airports that were out of reach.

I'll keep an eye out for the superjet, any idea what year that will be out?

jneil121

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 04:58:15 AM »
Real life it was first delivered in 2011, but who knows!

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 09:33:05 AM »
Well I took the plunge and ordered a rolls-engined 204 for delivery in the spring, mainly because it can reach just that little bit farther than the MD90 can to get to some large destination airports that were out of reach.

I'll keep an eye out for the superjet, any idea what year that will be out?

From where to where are you flying it? If you use it like you would use a 757, you should be fine.

The Superjet gets delivered around 2010/11, no idea when it gets launched.
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 02:13:09 PM »
It just was a game week ago. Deliveries 2009.

Offline Flightman

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »
Works for me :). Profitable planes (getting easily 800-1000k profit per week on sort hauls and longhauls 200-500k). Brand new Russian costs half compared to US planes. Maintenance costs and fuel burn are littlebit more than example on B757series (compared planes together at same age). But I dont see this as a problem becaus the planes are so cheap to order brand new. Actually using T204-120 / 220 might get cheaper on longterm than expensive competitors. U get brand new T204 at same price than u pay over 15yr used B757 (lot more expensive costs at that age than newer Russian plane costs at the same price :). Actually T204 series list price is so low, that u can keep the fleet age easily under 10y of age on whole game period.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:33:37 PM by Flightman »
Vallin Airlines brings your destination closer

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.