Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Route capacity over-supply  (Read 1364 times)

highlander1715

• Former member
Route capacity over-supply
« on: January 10, 2012, 10:46:36 PM »
Towards the end of last real-year I received a warning from the Competition Board anti monopoly bureaucrats because I was over-supplying a route that had dropped in passenger numbers, appalled at my shocking mistake I immediately replaced the aircraft with two runs by a much smaller plane.

Now I note that two of my competitors are in the same position on three different routes and have been for a considerable period of time - are they getting messages and just not doing anything about it - or have their been a lot of redundancies at the Competition Bureau because of the budget deficit crisis?

Apologies I meant to post this here and it ended up in announcements by mistake.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Route capacity over-supply
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:44:06 PM »
Yes, apparently everybody has been laid off from the Bureau  ... Nah, there is always a short grace period before anything happens (was it 48hrs real time?).

Aoscad

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:36:44 AM »
Hi sami,
The question is about a situation in jet age but I assume route over-supply works the same in all ages. I have a route between KGSW and KAUS and it is served my myself and one other airline. Combined we provide almost 3 times what the route demands, I supply about 56 - 58% of the seats and they supply 42 - 44% and I just got a oversupply warning. At what levels do you get over supply warnings? Is it just your seats and the demand or yours and your competitor's seats vs the demand? I am still making a profit on the route, and considering the aircraft the other airline operates, I be they are as well. At those numbers would they be getting a warning too or would it just be me?

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:59:05 AM »
You get a warning when your seats are more than 200% of demand, and they aren't all in a single flight. Competitor's seats are irrelevant.

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:35:26 AM »
Actually my cases are in Jet Age 5 as well where I run Herons or early model Twin Otters on routes with a 20 person per day demand while a competitor has been running 73 seat BAC111s daily on the same routes since early December last year.  I think 73 is more than 200% of 20 or at least it was when I went to school admittedly a long time ago!

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 02:08:29 AM »
Actually my cases are in Jet Age 5 as well where I run Herons or early model Twin Otters on routes with a 20 person per day demand while a competitor has been running 73 seat BAC111s daily on the same routes since early December last year.  I think 73 is more than 200% of 20 or at least it was when I went to school admittedly a long time ago!
You get a warning when your seats are more than 200% of demand, and they aren't all in a single flight. Competitor's seats are irrelevant.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »
simply not true the warning I received for over supply was caused by a single flight per day with 108 seats on 30 passenger demand

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 10:40:20 AM »
In that case, please post a screenshot, and put it in the bug forum. Because if you only have 1 flight per day, an over-supply warning should not happen. The most extreme I've seen was last DOTM, the breakup of the soviet union had me supplying 147 seats on a route with 2 pax/day demand, and I didn't get an oversupply warning.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:43:24 AM by Sanabas »

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 10:41:05 AM »
apologies on investigation I note the oversupply was caused by two flights per day however I do not understand the "single flight" concept there is no mention of how many flights constitute over supply in the Rules (my emphasis):

Routes vs. seats

The airlines may not oversupply the estimated passenger demand on a route in large numbers. Airline may not supply over 200% of the estimated passenger demand on any route.

In practise this means that if estimated passenger demand on a route is 100pax per day (weekly average) the airline may not fly more than 200pax per day on that route segment. Any more seats supplied would be considered dumping the seats and thus trying to limit competition and entrance of other airlines to the route.

Keep in mind that the passenger demands shown in the game are estimates and their accuracy depends on the staff efficiency of each airline but generally the demand numbers are +/-30% accurate - if there are doubts the administration can check the actual value.

In this chapter the term "airlines" apply also to alliances; one alliance can be considered as a single airline. In other words two (or more) airlines of the same alliance are counted as single airline/unit.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »
Manual probably needs an update then, I suggest putting that in as a bug report.

The reason it doesn't matter if there is only one flight is because of the way the pax are assigned. If I'm flying an a380 on a route, supplying 800 seats, and you're flying a 50 seat prop, and the daily demand is 40 pax, we should get about 20 pax each. A bigger plane won't make a difference, a smaller plane won't make a difference (as long as it still has enough seats). As long as we're supplying 1 flight each, we should each get about half the total pax.

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 11:25:23 AM »
Got it

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.