Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Large Fleet UI Usability  (Read 591 times)

Offline schro

• Members
Large Fleet UI Usability
« on: January 03, 2012, 02:20:36 AM »
Since asked about how 900+ fleets were working in the UI, I had a few things that popped into my head that could make it a better place.  Note that this is going from memory on v1.2 as I have not played 1.3 beyond the beta just yet.

I'm envisioning an advanced filtering setup for My Aircraft and Scheduling pages (I'd put scheduling as the priority as it is FAR less flexible right now). Since they might be confusing and not useful to smaller airlines, I would suggest that it is turned on as a preference through the airline's options, as there's really no need for this level of organization if you've got one or two hundred planes. Some of these will be easier than others to implement....

Scheduling Page Additional Filters (to be used in conjunction with current ones):
-Filter by plane subtype (i.e. -200/-300/etc)
-Filter by seating configuration or max Y/C/F count
-Filter by range (based upon current seating config of plane)
-Filter by scheduled vs unscheduled planes

My Aircraft:

Other Misc Items:
-Mass rebase function because moving 65 planes after the first 5 takes an hour or two. Also add a filter option to only show unscheduled planes in the picker. I've moved so many scheduled planes on accident it isn't funny anymore.
-Move/transfer route dialog needs a few filters - scheduled/unscheduled, range, seat config. Needs to be sortable by registration or other values as the default sort by database ID isn't fun.

I'm sure there's more that can be added... any other megafleet operators care to chime in?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:19:14 PM by sami »

Offline LemonButt

• Members
Re: Large Fleet UI Usability
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 03:02:16 AM »
Scheduling Page Additional Filters (to be used in conjunction with current ones):
-Filter by plane subtype (i.e. -200/-300/etc)
-Filter by seating configuration or max Y/C/F count
-Filter by range (based upon current seating config of plane)

My Aircraft:

Other Misc Items:
-Mass rebase function because moving 65 planes after the first 5 takes an hour or two. Also add a filter option to only show unscheduled planes in the picker. I've moved so many scheduled planes on accident it isn't funny anymore.
-Move/transfer route dialog needs a few filters - scheduled/unscheduled, range, seat config. Needs to be sortable by registration or other values as the default sort by database ID isn't fun.

The ones in bold are already implemented.  You mentioned on another thread you have issues loading more than 30 on one page--I have always had 70 and never had a problem in Chrome.

If I were redesigning the scheduling page from the ground up I'd have several filters:
-by fleet type (already done)
-by variant (already done)
-by base (sort of done)
-unscheduled (already done)
-by route (if you book a flight on a real airline, you select your origin and the destination list changes based on where they fly nonstop--aircraft flying said route would show up)

-by group (user defined group names--if I have 7 long range aircraft flying 7-day schedules, I want to group them together--group name could replace aircraft nicknames for easy implementation)

My Aircraft would have all of the same filters.  I agree on the mass rebase function, however it should probably operate by simply giving you a list of all unscheduled aircraft (you clear the schedules of aircraft to move first since when you move them it will do it automatically anyways) and then have selectors to select the base to send them to on one page versus 60+.

The move/transfer route dialog should be changed to "swap schedule" since you can only go from a scheduled aircraft to an unscheduled one.  By having a swap schedule feature, you could take two scheduled aircraft and swap the routes between them.  The current move route function does the same exact thing, but one of the aircraft has to have an empty schedule to do it.  This would eliminate the extra steps involved with actually swapping routes with aircraft via move route plus adding the previously cleared routes back to the other aircraft.

Right now, registration numbers and clicking the flight numbers from the airport destinations list is the best way to find routes and keep aircraft organized.  Some players are better than others at doing this.  I'd like to see a mass rename registration feature where you can rename the registrations without going to the individual aircraft screens, similar to the "rename config" function by clicking on the name in the config screen.  If you can click the reg values to edit, this would be awesome.  Right now it takes you to the aircraft info screen, however when you hover over the reg name it already pops up an info box including the direct link to aircraft info, so really the functionality as it stands is redundant.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:19:36 PM by sami »

forsberc

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 08:30:41 AM »
+10 for the mass rebase option.

Offline Meicci

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:37:19 AM »
-by group (user defined group names--if I have 7 long range aircraft flying 7-day schedules, I want to group them together--group name could replace aircraft nicknames for easy implementation)

+1 for that. Currently when you have more than 70 aircraft of the same type, 7-day scheduling becomes really annoying. This would sort that problem out.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 01:39:32 PM »
The ones in bold are already implemented.  You mentioned on another thread you have issues loading more than 30 on one page--I have always had 70 and never had a problem in Chrome.

I tend to use Internet Exploder and its not that it doesn't work, it just feels laggy as I scroll around the page, specifically when most of the planes are scheduled. I'm pretty certain it isn't a hardware issue for me (i7-2600k, 16gb ram, 2x Radeon 5870 video cards), so I figure it is more of an indigestion thing with all of the images loaded on the scheduling grid. I haven't tried it in a while, so maybe its working better and I just don't know it.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 01:45:05 PM »
I guess you mean the latest IE Schro I think it's IE9. Because otherwise using an older version of the browser may be cause of lag (not site compatability issues simply it is not a great browser and quite intensive).
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.