Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Help me understand  (Read 808 times)

coopdogyo

• Former member
Help me understand
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:52:42 AM »
I am playing around during this game by basing in some smaller airports. So after running my last airline into the ground by flying 707's longhaul I restarted in Kabul. The demand graph of Kabul states that 37% of demand is domestic. However the total demand within the country is 130 passengers a day. There are however thousands of passengers a day in demand to other short haul international destinations . This does not correlate with the demand graph. I am just trying to understand this.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
Re: Help me understand
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 07:33:01 AM »
I think it's just the way the algorithm works, and that the % demand you see doesn't correlate to actual number of pax, but instead to some sort of internal value.

The way I could see it working is something like: give each airport a numerical value to indicate how busy it is. So LHR = 1000, something tiny = 50. Say Kabul's is 700. So its number for domestic flights is 259. Random small airport in Afghanistan is 100% domestic, at a value of 150. 259 airport to 150 airport over 200 nm generates 50 pax per day. Whereas for a SH flight, Kabul's number is 350, other airport is also 350, so 350 airport to 350 airport over 500 nm gives 200 pax per day. Because there are only a few domestic airports, but heaps of SH airports, that 37% domestic demand actually translates to only 1% or so of actual pax, and you'll see the same discrepancy in any country that only has a handful of airports, whether it's Dubai, Pointe a Pitre, Maastricht or anywhere else.

I don't know that's the reason, but it seems like a sensible way to do the algorithm to me. It'd explain that stuff with domestic routes, it'd explain why somewhere like Kiev has no viable LH routes despite ~10% LH demand, whereas Tashkent has quite a lot with 15 or 20% LH demand, it'd explain various other stuff.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
Re: Help me understand
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 12:33:26 PM »
I think it's just the way the algorithm works, and that the % demand you see doesn't correlate to actual number of pax, but instead to some sort of internal value.

I agree that it is puzzling to see directly what the numbers will mean. But Sami has used the argument of long haul passenger numbers divided by total passenger numbers in KLAS to justify the 5% long haul deman value at the airport when people complained there was not enough. Therefore I think these must be somehow based off 2009 passenger numbers and destinations.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.