Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Slots  (Read 2466 times)

Offline LemonButt

• Members
Slots
« on: December 03, 2011, 02:07:41 AM »
Is it just me, or do the slot numbers seem a bit off for the start?  We are 2 years into DOTM3 and KSFO has 46 slots/hour (1982) versus 16 slots/hour (1995) in MT6.  I know the slots are cut in half to start with a growth curve to 200% (unless it has changed), but it seems that we should be starting with more slots than we have currently.  Sami--can you elaborate any further?

L1011fan

• Former member
Re: Slots
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 10:42:22 PM »
And further to that, will growth and demand be slow to build? I have some major routes that no other airline is flying, but LF's are terrible for being the only carrier on a route with demand for 950 people a day and I provide nearly 400 seats per day on that route without competition. I am getting load factors of under 30% on this route. I have business class on all my 757's as well because there is demand for it. So will it be more like a "Jet Age" type of growth?
Last question, I have my fares at default. People seem to "poo-poo" lowering fares a bit or raising them if necessary and I also keep seeing that route specific campaigns are of no value in the forums. Why do we have them available if they are of no use?
So Sami, I throw those questions into the mix too. Thanks!   :)

Offline lunchbox

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 11:05:28 PM »
And further to that, will growth and demand be slow to build? I have some major routes that no other airline is flying, but LF's are terrible for being the only carrier on a route with demand for 950 people a day and I provide nearly 400 seats per day on that route without competition. I am getting load factors of under 30% on this route. I have business class on all my 757's as well because there is demand for it. So will it be more like a "Jet Age" type of growth?
Last question, I have my fares at default. People seem to "poo-poo" lowering fares a bit or raising them if necessary and I also keep seeing that route specific campaigns are of no value in the forums. Why do we have them available if they are of no use?
So Sami, I throw those questions into the mix too. Thanks!   :)

This is the first time I started a game world on the first day, but I did find it strange that one of my routes has an 80 percent load and my other is creeping in the 20's.  Mind that I'm the only airline flying these routes from my base. 8)

EDIT: My route actually has 40 percent, not 80 like I said, but still very unpredictable at this time :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:20:12 AM by lunchbox »

Offline AUpilot77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 11:07:12 PM »
Yeah LF's seem to be very unpredictable during the first few weeks.  :-\

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 12:52:27 AM »
Just checked my LF's they are steadily climbing now. In the 20's an hour ago, now surpassed the 40 mark. I guess we're being impatient, LOL!

Ansettaddict123

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 04:01:55 AM »
Just checked my LF's they are steadily climbing now. In the 20's an hour ago, now surpassed the 40 mark. I guess we're being impatient, LOL!

Give your RI and CI some time to grow, you'll be seeing mid-high 70s in no time (unless something is seriously wrong :laugh: )

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 04:10:03 AM »
Actually I knew that but forgot the game had only started an hour earlier. LOL!!! :laugh:

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 05:29:10 AM »
I'm losing money flying my lone 763 twice a day to Chicago. The demand is high enough that I would normally add a third daily flight if I had another plane. LF started around 26% economy and 22% business but Im now up to about 45/32. That's still not good enough so I'm going to be in the red for a while. Hopefully my creditors are kind. I'm still making my loan payments at the moment at least.

I suppose that's rather realistic though when you are a new company that started selling tickets the same day you launched your ad campaign. 20% is generous when no one knows you exist yet.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 05:42:47 AM »
For many new airlines it takes years to break even it's all to be expected generally they have a growth plan for the first few years.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 07:48:01 AM »
I'm approaching 50% now for both economy and business class, only lost $30,000 this last week and my debt is down to $40k as well. I think this next week will see me in the black. This is my third airline not counting the demo so I really do have a careful plan this time around; I was just really concerned by those early returns having chosen a very expensive plane to start with. I'll be sure to build up a bit of a cash reserve on top of the initial cost before I bring in another one.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 01:45:56 AM »
I'm approaching 50% now for both economy and business class, only lost $30,000 this last week and my debt is down to $40k as well. I think this next week will see me in the black. This is my third airline not counting the demo so I really do have a careful plan this time around; I was just really concerned by those early returns having chosen a very expensive plane to start with. I'll be sure to build up a bit of a cash reserve on top of the initial cost before I bring in another one.
And just simply remember its early in the game. As your route image goes up so will your numbers. So check your RI and you'll see the numbers are probably on the low side and they go up each time the plane flies the route, for lack of a better explaination.

Offline Meicci

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 08:27:29 PM »
Back to the slot discussion from route image things;

I noticed today that a SINGLE slot at Heathrow costs 112.900 USD, compared to 8 400 USD at Gatwick.

It must be a real pain to be based there!

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 10:01:44 PM »
Not if you know those slots are worth over 1.5 million in a few years.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 10:56:42 PM »
I'm losing money flying my lone 763 twice a day to Chicago. The demand is high enough that I would normally add a third daily flight if I had another plane. LF started around 26% economy and 22% business but Im now up to about 45/32. That's still not good enough so I'm going to be in the red for a while. Hopefully my creditors are kind. I'm still making my loan payments at the moment at least.

I suppose that's rather realistic though when you are a new company that started selling tickets the same day you launched your ad campaign. 20% is generous when no one knows you exist yet.

I am not sure why, but I had the hardest time getting 767-300ER to work profitably for me as well.  I threw in the towel and restarted.  It is still early, that may be the a good option for you.  I don't kow if you are paying leases yet...  If you were barely breaking even before the lease payments kicked in, you will have much harder time when you are paying some $300k / week in lease payments ...

vitongwangki

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 12:01:48 AM »
I am not sure why, but I had the hardest time getting 767-300ER to work profitably for me as well.  I threw in the towel and restarted.  It is still early, that may be the a good option for you.  I don't kow if you are paying leases yet...  If you were barely breaking even before the lease payments kicked in, you will have much harder time when you are paying some $300k / week in lease payments ...
Just because you flew to too much destinations, and some of them are too long. The Route Image didn't go up so your LF is low. ::)

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 12:10:41 AM »
Just because you flew to too much destinations, and some of them are too long. The Route Image didn't go up so your LF is low. ::)

I don't know if it is a bug, but RI went up at the same rate with just 1x week flight as it goes with 7x / week.  (I don't think it is supposed to happen).  So RI was fine, CI was as high as it could get (at this stage of the game), but still, the LFs were in low 40s...  There was nothing I could do to increase them.  I even played with pricing (which I normally don't do), but nothing helped.  In 4 months, my RI was in 30s, CI was 20, and no uptrend in LFs...  Even the premium business class seating (in default configuration) did not do anything.  C class LFs were in 20s...

While it may be possible to start flying LH at ~3000 nm, it does not appear possible at 4700+ nm, at least not with 763...

vitongwangki

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 12:38:55 AM »
I don't know if it is a bug, but RI went up at the same rate with just 1x week flight as it goes with 7x / week.  (I don't think it is supposed to happen).  So RI was fine, CI was as high as it could get (at this stage of the game), but still, the LFs were in low 40s...  There was nothing I could do to increase them.  I even played with pricing (which I normally don't do), but nothing helped.  In 4 months, my RI was in 30s, CI was 20, and no uptrend in LFs...  Even the premium business class seating (in default configuration) did not do anything.  C class LFs were in 20s...

While it may be possible to start flying LH at ~3000 nm, it does not appear possible at 4700+ nm, at least not with 763...
I think the LF is depends on the number of flight everyday on the route, JNB - LHR gave a good example.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 01:04:12 AM »
I think the LF is depends on the number of flight everyday on the route, JNB - LHR gave a good example.

Interesting observation.  I am going to put it to test in the future.  This is the first time really that I have flown less than 6x/7x per week, so there may be something to it.  I was under the impression that LF is strictly a function of RI and CI (plus other normal variables, such as time of day etc).  I have not heard of LF being a function of how many times per week an airline flies...

763 default configuration is not ideal either...  No F, premium C....

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 03:23:24 AM »
My 763 is working just fine now, 70% LF on average, $500k a week. Its going to be a while before I can bring in another one though. I never planned on being a giant ariline anyway operating out of a tiny little airport Im very familiar with. It's a nice niche market with a dozen or so high demand routes.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 03:27:51 AM »
My 763 is working just fine now, 70% LF on average, $500k a week. Its going to be a while before I can bring in another one though. I never planned on being a giant ariline anyway operating out of a tiny little airport Im very familiar with. It's a nice niche market with a dozen or so high demand routes.

The question is, are you seeing 500k a week on the My Aircraft screen, or as a weekly profit.  There are some expenses airline has that are not accounted for on per aircraft basis.  If you have weekly profit of 500k, than it is just a question of waiting 10 weeks to get another one...  But if weekly profit is much less, you will have to wait a little longer...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.