Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Country / Airport missing  (Read 1010 times)

Online Frederik

• Members
Country / Airport missing
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:30:28 AM »
The whole of Iraq and in particular Baghdad seem to be missing from this game.
Swiss quality all over the world

Offline Brockster

• Members
Re: Country / Airport missing
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 01:02:18 AM »
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but didn't Baghdad's airport not even open until the 80s?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:05:09 AM by Brockster »

Online Frederik

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 02:44:54 AM »
SDA only opened in the early 1980's but Iraqi Airways has operated since 1947 and was a large airline in the 1970's (even flying 747s) so there must have been an airport to fly from! called BGW?

Offline andriitis

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:37:49 AM »
Qouting from http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/3254886/ :

According to my copy of John Stroud's "Airports of the World" (published in the late 1970s and possibly one of the best airport books ever written, IMHO), the Baghdad airport has been at its current site since the middle or late 1960s. Prior to that, as N1120A said, it was at the Al-Muthanna site, which still shows up as a small airfield on Google Earth (look west of the Tigris).

When it first opened, it was called Baghdad International Airport and consisted of only one runway (now the westernmost parallel strip) and a small terminal which still stands about halfway down the original runway. In the late 1970s or early 1980s, the current terminal complex was built - it's listed as "under construction" in Stroud's book, so I'm guessing it opened in 1979-1982. The three terminal modules were designed by Aeroports de Paris and have a similar design/appearance to the terminals at Hannover or Moscow Sheremetyevo II. One module was for domestic flights, one for Iraqi Airways international flights and the last was for all other foreign carriers.

The 1979-1982 expansion also included a parallel runway (located on the east side, closer to the city than the original runway) and a new highway leading into the airport, since the old access road was blocked by the new runway. Once the whole expansion program was finished, the airport was renamed Saddam International.

That's the info from Stroud's book, anyhow - I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows the exact year/date that operations transferred from Al-Muthanna to the current airfield.

Online Frederik

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:02:54 AM »
Thank you Andritis for your research.

So there was an airport before the expansion with the new terminals and the 2nd runway in 1982 when the airport was renamed SDA i.s.o BGW.

Could we have the corresponding demand in the game, please? Even better if the other Iraqi Airports could be included, at least the major ones ORNI/ORMM/ORER/ORKK/ORBM/ORSU

Frederik

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 12:11:39 AM »
Bagdad Saddam International was included in the game at least at some point... what happened to it? (of course pre Gulf War 1&2)
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 02:59:50 AM »
It says the airport is opening some time in this game world (it came up on the news feed a few RL days ago)

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 08:48:23 AM »
It says the airport is opening some time in this game world (it came up on the news feed a few RL days ago)

Baghdad opens in 1982.

Online Frederik

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »
The EXPANSION of Baghdad airport opens in 1982 (second runway, new terminals) but there was an airport BEFORE that - not to mention half a dozen other Iraqi airports that would be interesting to have.

Argument also counts for the major Saudi airports which did exist before their opening in AWS which coincide with the inauguration of their expansion and/or new terminals.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 02:16:46 PM »
Well the requisite for an airport to be included in AWS is not merely its being there, but when it accommodated regular scheduled flights. Often this coincides with a major facilities upgrade (see thread on Stansted). I don't know the particulars about this airport though.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.