Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: too many scheduling delays  (Read 958 times)

deepblue501

• Former member
too many scheduling delays
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »
hi just a quick remark really. When scheduling the flights I usually set the turn around time to a safe (well, you would think that at least) 50-55 mins. Delays due to scheduling (as it says in the setup of the route) should then be limited to a mere 8-13.6% chance of delays due to too short turn around time. However, in the last few weeks my delays have been caused 50% of the time by too short turn around time, and on a few routes about HALF of the weekly flights is delayed above 15 mins, exactly due to this problem. Now how can it be that a chance of max 13.6% converts into almost 50%>?????

I don't know if anyone can explain me this, otherwise perhaps this is an issue to look at for the game developers??

thx
deepblue501

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: too many scheduling delays
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:34:34 PM »
How about the turnaround time at your home base?

And when you say that "50% of my delays have been caused by schedules" is NOT the same as the "probability of delay" what you see ... It means that you have had some delays and half of them are because of the tight a/c scheduling, and the 'probability of delay' what you see in route edit/open view means that this particular flight has the xx% chance of being delayed somewhere during it's route. Two different things. Plus still, even if the delay probability is near 0%, there still can be unexpected things that cause problems.

And looking at the stats of your airline, the average delay of ALL flights has been only 4 minutes, with punctuality 88% which are good figures. So there's nothing strange there in my mind.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:39:05 PM by sami »

Kastor

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:43:17 PM »
Had the same problem. If turn arround time is 30 minute, I schedule the next flight 60 minutes after arival. This helps a lot.

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:46:59 PM »
Making the turn around time a bit longer at your hub does help for example when the plane departs late from other destination, so it can depart on time again from your hub. But, do not make so big turn around times that they take the time from another route (for example, having 3 daily flights with turn around time giving 10% chance for delay is better than having 2 daily routes with 0% propability).

deepblue501

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:20:18 AM »
by now it seems that it has become a little bit better...i'm setting turn around time to a minimum of 60 mins now. Thanks for the remarks, i still think it looks like there's too much t/a time delays which deteriorate company image (as with 60 mins the probablity of it should be close to zero), but maybe i was just being premature. Generally i think the game is cool, thanx sami and team for something that was really missing on the net.

one other question though: why can I only have 1 hub?? in real life many airlines have 1 main hub and a few secondary hubs. Will you introduce this possibility into the game? Otherwise, at a certain moment, an airline that grows fast will have simply speaking a lack of profitable destinations to fly to from its main hub. At that moment having the choice of a secondary hub would be great. But perhaps this is an option which is available in the paid game?

take care all
db501

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.