Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Aircraft market  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Aircraft market
« on: October 07, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »
So.. How's the new "calling" feature working out in practise? More planes available? etc...

(the overall selection in this world is rather poor though (see global stats page), with too many dc-3s. But that's how it was back then..)

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
Re: Aircraft market
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 07:35:14 PM »
So.. How's the new "calling" feature working out in practise? More planes available? etc...

(the overall selection in this world is rather poor though (see global stats page), with too many dc-3s. But that's how it was back then..)

I've always thought that the DC-3 (and C-46) numbers are a little high but as you say they were two a penny back then. I'm still not 100% sold on the new market, there still seem to be people who get a lot more of the desirable aircraft than others, but I guess those who sit on AWS all day will always get the best stuff.

Is the market refresh actually truly random, pseudo-random or just set to a fairly obvious pattern? If not I could see that as a big big problem.

minerva

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 08:05:06 PM »
IMO the new calling feature is a definite improvement.  It is true that you can use all 7 of your calls in one week and get nothing you want, but it does limit wasting time on the used market and I don't see a marked reduction in the amount of used planes I'm getting now in a 24 hour period as opposed to before. So, for those of us who log in a few times a day, or have AWS run in the background but only pay attention to it sporadically, I think it is working well.  I suspect that those who spend more time actually on AWS may not like it so much.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »
I am curious how much bandwidth difference there is.

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 08:28:45 PM »
I wasn't able to play much AWS due to real life, maybe that's the problem, but it's sometimes hard to get any aircraft. Maybe that's why lots of people bust every fleet type limit - although it's possible to get on and play the game.

What would be a very nice improvement - and this would also help the "casual gamers" you aim for - is a small adjusting. Something like "gathering calls" to a maximum of 14 calls.
I haven't decided yet if it would be a good idea to add them 1:1 from the previous week or only 25% or so of the unused calls, but it would help people not wasting most of their calls due to job etc.

Another improvement could be some kind of auto-refresh for this feature. If there's a refresh of the calls on Sunday I have to reload the page via F5 to show it correctly, same for other windows (I use two instances for firefox, each screen has one) that show the same content but weren't the windows one actually clicked "call market and update listings".

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 01:18:28 AM »
I am still a newbie so haven't got that much history to go back on, but the 7 calls a week system is a brilliant change to the game as it appears that it allows the market to be a lot more balanced for all players.
Sure the people that spend more time online still have a better chance of getting the more desirable planes, that is the way it will always be regardless of changes, as they make their own luck by being online more often.
A great game /sim and getting better...good work Sami

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »
I assume that due to lack of replies to this thread, and lack of the general & always-happening used market whining thread, that this change has worked quite nicely?  :P

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 09:52:13 PM »
I assume that due to lack of replies to this thread, and lack of the general & always-happening used market whining thread, that this change has worked quite nicely?  :P

I haven't played the beginning of a game world with this in yet which is where it really counts, but joining mid game in MT5 it seems to be working fine. The massive availability of slots in the production queues for new aircraft alleviate the strain on the used market anyway.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 11:28:10 PM »
I'm certainly getting less aircraft, and sometimes not finding any, I think it's working ok.

One thing I'd tweak, if it was easy, is to have your 7 calls refresh a week after the first one is made, rather than always at 0000 Monday.

I don't know if you can track total calls to the used market, but I suspect they're much higher on Sundays/Mondays, and lowest on Thursdays. Change the refresh to a similar system as the ordering of planes, and I think the calls would then be evenly spaced throughout the week.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 12:44:14 AM »

So far I haven't done anything different then before. "You win some and lose some" has been my theme since the last time you changed the "randomness" of used aircraft coding. I suspect it does work as I see a better availability of aircraft at times that normally the market would be dry.

Talentz

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 03:16:25 AM »
What would be a very nice improvement - and this would also help the "casual gamers" you aim for - is a small adjusting. Something like "gathering calls" to a maximum of 14 calls.
I haven't decided yet if it would be a good idea to add them 1:1 from the previous week or only 25% or so of the unused calls, but it would help people not wasting most of their calls due to job etc.

I like the idea of "gathering calls"

25% of unused calls, up to a max of 14 would probably work very well...
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

flightsimer

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:20:32 PM »

I dont think it has really changed anything for the better...

Some airlines are still able to get all the aircraft, while others arent. For example my competitor has been able to get a fleet of nearly 40 DC-6's/7's from the used market but i have gotten 1 so far ths whole game world.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »
they can 'F5' 7 times every 4.08 hours. 

Offline bdnascar3

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 05:51:15 PM »
What about a feature where you can 'ask' for a specific aircraft and an 'agent' will go out and find one for you. I think we wouldn't mind waiting around for a specfic aircraft type instead of just hoping that one comes available. The amount of requests could still be limited.

Offline DHillMSP

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 06:31:29 AM »
What about a feature where you can 'ask' for a specific aircraft and an 'agent' will go out and find one for you. I think we wouldn't mind waiting around for a specfic aircraft type instead of just hoping that one comes available. The amount of requests could still be limited.

Gotta give this one a +1.

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »
I have a query about the new call system. 

When you're selling (or leasing) aircraft, can you see your own aircraft immediately without making a call?  The reason this is important to me is - I need to see how much they're being marketed for, particularly when leasing. You enter a "selling" price even when leasing and I then like to check what lease is being asked compared to others.  I shouldn't have to use a call to look at my own aircraft.  I haven't leased out any aircraft in 1.3 yet so does anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks
G

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 11:52:55 PM »
You don't see your own aircraft until you make a call.

But for what you want, that doesn't matter at all. If the selling price you enter is 90% of the others on the market, then the leasing price will also be 90% of the others on the market. A 1 year lease always has a per month price of 1/81 of the selling price.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.