Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: TU114  (Read 1981 times)

Offline apenfold

• Members
TU114
« on: October 05, 2011, 08:19:14 PM »
Anyone have any experience with this aircraft that can offer some sage advice?

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
Re: TU114
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:32:50 PM »
The aircraft itself isn't bad. Biggest problem is, like all USSR aircraft, the extremely small production line. Even if you order lots of them without any order gaps between you must wait 2-4 month between deliveries - adding the non existent used aircraft market for this, you basically have a fleet type that can't be used because the production is to slow and when you have a decent fleet of them, you must start replace them because of them being obsolete due to later jet aircraft...

The usual pro/cons mustn't be discussed I thin, however, in short:
- good range
- good pax capacity
- cheap to get

- extreme fuel consumption (not important the first years)
- huge crew needed
- extremely slow delivery
- not as fast as a jet

Offline Kazari

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:41:55 PM »
Although I love these planes, Curse has omitted one additional drawback:

Maintenance costs.

As a Soviet plane, its maintenance costs start higher and go up faster than Western ones do. So not only can you not keep them when they get older because of fuel, but also because of maintenance.

I did use them to great effect, though, in Jet Age game for the FAJS-EGGL flight. Its quick turnaround time was hard to match.

Offline apenfold

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:47:56 PM »
Thanks guys, all the stuff I had noticed and I got exactly what I thought I would/wanted.  :)
Won't be getting myself some Tupolevs in this world.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 12:04:53 AM »
actually the 104 really isnt that bad of a plane... 65min turn time, 84 seats.... 

it aint a DC9 but it isnt a total dog for a few years while you wait for other planes to come in.

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 02:42:26 AM »
I remember someone in JA2 or JA3 based at EGLL fly only TU114 and he was the leader there and one of the top in the game.

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 08:38:07 AM »
Curse has a point but he forgot to mention one important thing.

Yes the production rate is slow but you have to compare it's waiting time with the times of other, similar planes. Same with the fuel consumption.

Compared to, for example a Boeing 707 or a DC8, the fuel consumption isn't too bad. When waiting times for those planes get up, the Tu114 might be a better option.

Also, it's not as fast as a jet but it's pretty close, also the turn around time makes up for the slower speed.

That sort of basically smooths out all the negative points except the crew and maintenance costs. Just check the purchase costs compared to jets and judge for yourself.

I think it's a fantastic aircraft and one of the best long range planes in the game in this era.
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 10:56:59 AM »
Let me jump in on a few points again;

Maintenance:
Not a big problem, because the aircraft itself is cheap and you shouldn't lease aircraft longer than 7.5 years, so an expensive D-Check is nothing you have to do.

Production rate:
This is a big problem. In my eyes it's the most biggest problem of USSR aircraft. Due to it's high range and slower speed you can't do a daily schedule on most longer flights, so it will hurt your airline and your financial statistic when you deliver Aircraft #1 in January, Aircraft #2 in March, Aircraft #3 in July and so on. In the last Jet Age it took me an average of 15 month to get me 7 aircraft for a good schedule.
And there isn't a single Tu-114 on the used market you can get to fill up those gaps.

DC-8 has the advantage of offering a good and big production line. It loses a bit the first years to the 707, especially the 707-320 (but I noticed sami increased the range of the DC-8-31, nice thing), however, you can later replace them without any problem with DC-8-61/63, while Tu-114 must be replaced completely.

The "other aircraft production line may be filled" argument isn't one I count. If you have a decent long-term strategy you will get your slots. And if not you can make every aircraft to a "good alternative".

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »
You should hear them contra rotating props once in your life to never want anything else again in your life :)
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
I'm sure that would be a great thing. Yet alone the impressive high wheel system of Tu-114...

Don't tell anybody, but I think I'm the only one here around who never flew or even joined an aircraft in real life except a very old one in a museum when I was a child :D

Offline Pepto

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
I'm not sure if it's true, but on the very first flight of TU114, USA airport didn't have high enough airplane stairs to reach doors. So all russian passangers (including Nikita Khrushchev) had to jump off the plane ;)

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »
That's correct. JFK didn't have stairs long enough to service the airplane.

Ilyushin

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 02:35:49 PM »
I'm not sure if it's true, but on the very first flight of TU114, USA airport didn't have high enough airplane stairs to reach doors. So all russian passangers (including Nikita Khrushchev) had to jump off the plane ;)

Do you really think this is true? They jumped? ;D

Instead, they used a ladder...

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 07:06:25 AM »
Still funny that 'the capitalist pigs' who are 'big with everything' didn't have airplane steps big enough to reach the doors of 'the most advanced plane' of it's time. :)

I mean this as a joke, not an insult to anybody.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 10:54:13 AM »
It was those props.  They were huge.

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 11:15:32 AM »
Not huge... Majestic  ;D

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 11:46:34 AM »
Oversized, lets be honest! Just bloody massive!

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »
Still funny that 'the capitalist pigs' who are 'big with everything' didn't have airplane steps big enough to reach the doors of 'the most advanced plane' of it's time. :)

Let's face it though; in the world of aircraft, Russia (and former USSR) is king of big.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 12:49:23 PM »
*drools*  :-[

That really is the sexiest plane ever...

Offline EYguy

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 02:44:45 PM »
Sexiest plane ever is the Su-35 in black-grey-white livery as seen at Maks 2007... I wish I had 40.000.000USD to buy one... :)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.