Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Long haul jets  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Meicci

• Members
Long haul jets
« on: October 03, 2011, 05:55:24 AM »
This is my first JA game, so I don't have real experience with airplanes of 50's and 60's. Is there any good long haul jets coming available soon? I will start with DC-7, which has good range and suitable amount of seats, but it's really slow.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Long haul jets
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:00:16 AM »
707, DC-8, Convair 880/990, later 747.. hmm what else?

Offline Meicci

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:03:18 AM »
DC-8 has only mid-range versions available at the moment. When will (roughly) those intercontinental versions be available?

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:28:34 AM »
Full list of jets with >2900nm range available in AirwaySim Jet Age scenario : DC-8, DC-10, L-1011, 707, 747, Convair 880/890, Il-62, Tu-114 (not a jet but very fast for a prop), VC-10/Super VC-10

First (and extremely thirsty) DC-8 intercontinental versions (32,33) should be announced very soon.

In fact Boeing 707 has now a little advantage if you want to fly longer routes and a big advantage if you want to fly mid range, but later Boeing will lose all advantages and DC-8 are much better in every way.

707 or DC-8 is the only situation in the game where you must take disadvantages now or later for your long term strategy by choosing one of the fleet groups. Only chance to avoid this is using both...

PS: Due to massive offenses by other uses I'm not giving away more and detailed information about future aircraft, but if you have a specific question, send me a PM.

Offline Meicci

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 01:47:58 PM »
There's no need for any more information, that really sorted all out ;)

Thanks a lot.

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 01:49:25 PM »
Don't ignore the big props at this time. The Bristol Britannia doesn't break the bank and has a pretty respectable range in the JA game.

Offline Meicci

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 01:57:24 PM »
I'm not ignoring them, in fact I already decided to go with DC-7 at start. It just takes forever to fly over 3000NM with them. That's why I asked about the jets.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »
I'm not ignoring them, in fact I already decided to go with DC-7 at start. It just takes forever to fly over 3000NM with them. That's why I asked about the jets.

True true, I'm only using the Britannia's as a stopgap until I can afford the jets in larger numbers.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »
Props for long range, especially with tech-stop (Los Angeles - London etc.), are more a kind of slot hogging for later operations than serious business. You won't make much money because of only 2-4 flights per week and aircraft, so it's much smarter to use even (or especially) big props on short routes.

What you can leave behind are the old small crap props like CV-240/340/440. And no, the fact many people use them doesn't show they are good. It only shows the general skill of competition.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 02:35:53 PM »
Props for long range, especially with tech-stop (Los Angeles - London etc.), are more a kind of slot hogging for later operations than serious business. You won't make much money because of only 2-4 flights per week and aircraft, so it's much smarter to use even (or especially) big props on short routes.

But without a tech stop, such as crossing the Atlantic to the east coast or ops to the middle east from Europe they are not useless, especially when the jets are still a little way off. I've had Britannia's work but, yea, they eventually got replaced by 707s.

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »
That's correct, they can do the job in your example, but at the end of the day 28x (or 21x) short flight a week will earn you more money than 7x flying further away.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 03:35:53 PM »
Lh was once more profitable but felt the nerf bat because they really unbalanced the sim. 

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.