Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: A good starter a/c  (Read 1293 times)

Offline easy03

• Members
A good starter a/c
« on: October 01, 2011, 09:57:48 AM »
Hi

What's a good a/c to order fir the first few years of this game? Mainly for short Haul in Europe?

Cheers

Wayne

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
Re: A good starter a/c
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »
Bigger props > smaller props

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 06:34:35 PM »
Convairs have always been very reliable for me in the very beginning of these Jet Age scenarios. Martins as well. Just fyi.

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 06:55:51 PM »
Convairs are good, DC-6s are good, DC-6Bs are better. DC-3s and C-46s are not to be scorned at tbf.

Offline easy03

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:57:38 PM »
Convairs have always been very reliable for me in the very beginning of these Jet Age scenarios. Martins as well. Just fyi.

Really, i guess you mean the older convairs...as the ones available to order have a very high fuel burn! My first jetage game as ive only done the more modern times and DOTM before, so not sure as to what a/c types are best to go after to start with, want a/c with high capacity but dont use a load of gas to run them!

cheers

Wayne

Offline easy03

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 07:05:42 PM »
Vickers Vanguard 951??

Any good to go with this as my main a/c of choice for now??

cheers

Wayne

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »
Really, i guess you mean the older convairs...as the ones available to order have a very high fuel burn! My first jetage game as ive only done the more modern times and DOTM before, so not sure as to what a/c types are best to go after to start with, want a/c with high capacity but dont use a load of gas to run them!

cheers

Wayne

Fuel is basically free at the start of JA, it isn't too much of an issue till later on.

Offline easy03

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 08:30:17 PM »
cheers,

gone with the SE-210 Caravelle I for the main stay of my short regional europe flights...see how it goes

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 08:32:18 PM by wayne2011 »

irro

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 12:58:13 AM »
What do you think of the Ilyushin Il-18B for routes such as DAL-ORD , LAX, SEA, ATL

minerva

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:10:29 AM »
Sshhhh!  Don't mention them too loud.....cheap to buy, stunning speed, decent range, capacity could be better - but adequate.  A good substitute for scarce DC 6s for medium haul routes.

Offline dmoose42

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 02:52:30 AM »
Agree that the specs are decent.  To me, the biggest weaknesses are the slow production lines (7 per month i think) and the lack of a used market.  If you lease the new planes, then that's ok, but definitely don't buy them unless you are prepared to keep them the rest of the game.

Also, the operating costs (4 pilots is a lot for a small plane) and high maintenance costs (3400 vs 2000 (electra) for A checks) offset the cheaper up front cost.

I do like the high speed though.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.