Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Almost impossible to start the game  (Read 5372 times)

serginho_la

• Former member
Almost impossible to start the game
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:47:59 AM »
Hello friends, I started playing the demo and in 7 days I managed to learn a lot and have a profitable company (21 aircraft and $ 6 million profit each week).
So I started the game Modern Times # 5 and now is almost impossible to survive with such competition, wages and fuel prices so expensive.
In the Demo, the fuel was $ 150 - $ 250, here are five times more expensive, and considering that at first his company has no image, the flights do not even pay the fuel costs.
I started with the Fokker 100 and gave up because I saw that it would not work, I restarted with the Bombardier Dash-8, and even a turboprop can not overcome spending on fuel.

I'm wondering if I can reverse this situation calmly or should I wait to start a new game?

However, I would like to compliment the developers of the game, it really is a 5 stars game.

Hugs.

vitongwangki

• Former member
Re: Almost impossible to start the game
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:10:12 AM »
Hello friends, I started playing the demo and in 7 days I managed to learn a lot and have a profitable company (21 aircraft and $ 6 million profit each week).
So I started the game Modern Times # 5 and now is almost impossible to survive with such competition, wages and fuel prices so expensive.
In the Demo, the fuel was $ 150 - $ 250, here are five times more expensive, and considering that at first his company has no image, the flights do not even pay the fuel costs.
I started with the Fokker 100 and gave up because I saw that it would not work, I restarted with the Bombardier Dash-8, and even a turboprop can not overcome spending on fuel.

I'm wondering if I can reverse this situation calmly or should I wait to start a new game?

However, I would like to compliment the developers of the game, it really is a 5 stars game.

Hugs.
Actually it is possible to start in MT5, what you need is just patience because the LF will goes up when your route image improves. Even a new company could have green LF. :)
Of course, as a new company avoiding competition is crucial for survival, where did you start last time? ;)

serginho_la

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »
I had started in Philadelphia, but gave up because 99% of routes were crowded.
Restarted in Jacksonville where there is no company and I chose airports without competition for this route.
Now arrived my second plane and it appears that is beginning to improve, 25% of LF has jumped to 50%, making me calmer.

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 11:53:54 AM »
Starting half way through a game is tough, I have done that in Jet age # 4
However I treat it as 'learn many lessons from my mistakes in this game world and be better prepared for the start of the next'

Offline eleritz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 02:27:18 PM »
fuel is of course much more expensive than in the beginners world, but it is still much cheaper than it should be at this stage of the game. it may go up anytime. which of course makes things hard for new airlines.

when choosing the base for a new airline in the middle of the game, even if you choose an empty airport, check if your airport is not a tasty target for megaairlines based in the same country/economic space. if it is, they may come up with the idea of opening a second/third/fourth base at your airport and will probably destroy your airline in no time.

so in my opinion it's safer to open a new airline in a somewhat isolated country where big players donīt exist (rather than in the US).

boa sorte na mesma:)

Zabuti

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:00:12 AM »
If you're just out of the demo game, you should join a Beginner World. Easier, less tough and still great way to make your experience

just a thought though

Enjoy your game

ag321796

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 01:49:43 PM »
Thanks for the tips.

I decided to leave the game Modern Time #5, I got to have three aircraft and could not make a profit even with all the tips and experience that I have today.
With three Dash-8, the company being in a stand-alone base, and chosen routes without competition, I was still losing money. The fuel, although expensive, it was possible to pay, but the salary of the staff is absurdly high. But what weighed more was the competition, there are no more routes available.

I decided to enter the Euro-American Challenge game, because the day is only 20 minutes virtual, and so I will gain experience of long-term (in the demo was only 11 months).
And in this game I'm having more success, because the fuel and salaries are low, despite the competition being as large as the MT5.

I also created a new login, bought 10 credits and started the Beginner's World.

Thanks.

Zabuti

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 02:22:18 PM »

Does that mean that you have 2 logins ?

Sami's bots won't appreciate that ;-) be careful, this is not allowed

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 02:31:35 PM »

Thanks.

Pretty sure that one's against the rules.

Jet Age starts tomorrow, so there'll be no established airlines to compete with, you won't encounter already filled routes. Probably another good option for a game to join.

ag321796

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 02:44:36 PM »
I have already sent a message to the support to cancel an account and let only one active.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 08:25:57 PM »
You know, you can use the same account to participate in multiple worlds at once too. But I will check the support ticket.

For the topic, you shouldn't end so soon. Since even with crowded routes in MT5 world there are possibilities and you should not be limited in looking only for the unreserved airports and unserved routes - it should be possible to start up at an already served airport since there are plenty of slots and also a good selection of used aircraft available. Something like mid-size jets for 500-1000 NM routes should be a safe bet to start.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 09:00:43 PM »
You know, you can use the same account to participate in multiple worlds at once too. But I will check the support ticket.

Even if you're brand new to the game, doesn't joining a full game world for a week, but finding it very tough, preclude you from joining Beginner's world? Should that restriction be changed to make full worlds the same as earlier beginner worlds, i.e. you're only excluded from joining a Beginner world if you've played 5+ weeks in a previous beginner world/full world?

Offline m320au

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 07:42:23 PM »
Starting half way through a game is tough, I have done that in Jet age # 4
However I treat it as 'learn many lessons from my mistakes in this game world and be better prepared for the start of the next'

You can say that again. In the past i've usually stayed in the top 10 when starting at the beginning of the game world. This time however I joined halfway through - and man i'm finding it tough - for the first time ever actually. Even with a fleet of 7 i cannot get past break even, not even with 100% RI on all my routes. I'm borrowed to the hilt and deferring maintenance just to stay afloat.

Partly, fuel and staffing costs. Partly, revisions to the game. Partly, my base is unusual - a) remote and b) short runway. Tough combination. Although, no shortage of pax.

I think every recent tweak to the gameplay has been the right move. To me, the first 2-3 weeks of real life gameplay has always been the best - when you have to scrimp and save, triple think every decision, and when one aircraft can make a huge difference. Prolonging that stage of the game is great. Much more enjoyable I think than coming home at night to feel guilty about not scheduling your 20 parked 777's. I feel like i'm running a real airline.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:44:34 PM by m320au »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 10:09:37 PM »
I think the logical progression of the game would be that once one game world past, say 1/3 or 1/2 point of the game, a new scenario of the same era would be started, and all the restriction and limitations would be lifted.

This way, the bottom 250 airlines that have less than 10 aircraft would get a fresh start, in a new world, and the top 200 airlines would fight it out without any artificial restrictions built in (basing restriction, restrictions on delivery rate of the aircraft etc)...

So the remaining airlines would face real competition in the 2nd half of the game, and players who did not do well could start in a new game world, where everybody starts equal.

For example, MT5 is past the half way point.  My airline supplies perhaps 95+% of the routes at ORD.  I get new airlines starting there every once in a while.  These new airlines are pretty much doomed.  If they survive against all odds, they will at best struggle, their profit potential is extremely limited.

At this point, there should be an MT6, in my opinion...  It is great when we have 500-600 players when the game world starts, but it is also ok if there are only 200-300 left in the 2nd half of the game world...  I think it would be a win-win.  Players would get a fresh start more often, AWS would make more money.

And if the training wheels were taken off the games in 2nd half of the game, the survivorving players would have a new game on their hands, with serious competition between the airlines.

DanDantes

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 09:32:46 AM »
I think the logical progression of the game would be that once one game world past, say 1/3 or 1/2 point of the game, a new scenario of the same era would be started, and all the restriction and limitations would be lifted.

This way, the bottom 250 airlines that have less than 10 aircraft would get a fresh start, in a new world, and the top 200 airlines would fight it out without any artificial restrictions built in (basing restriction, restrictions on delivery rate of the aircraft etc)...

So the remaining airlines would face real competition in the 2nd half of the game, and players who did not do well could start in a new game world, where everybody starts equal.

For example, MT5 is past the half way point.  My airline supplies perhaps 95+% of the routes at ORD.  I get new airlines starting there every once in a while.  These new airlines are pretty much doomed.  If they survive against all odds, they will at best struggle, their profit potential is extremely limited.

At this point, there should be an MT6, in my opinion...  It is great when we have 500-600 players when the game world starts, but it is also ok if there are only 200-300 left in the 2nd half of the game world...  I think it would be a win-win.  Players would get a fresh start more often, AWS would make more money.

And if the training wheels were taken off the games in 2nd half of the game, the survivorving players would have a new game on their hands, with serious competition between the airlines.

Very good and valid point. You have my support on it.

Dan

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »
Very good and valid point. You have my support on it.

Dan

Mine too, sounds good. Maybe another limit would be if you were in MT5 you could not be in MT6 at the same time. It would stop the airlines that are already massive in MT5 to open in MT6 and have the same game plan.

Offline lunchbox

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 11:59:45 PM »
Mine too, sounds good. Maybe another limit would be if you were in MT5 you could not be in MT6 at the same time. It would stop the airlines that are already massive in MT5 to open in MT6 and have the same game plan.

+1 on that 8)

Zabuti

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »

Excellent point !

bigdogshark62

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »
I moved away from this sim for more than a year, but decided to come back to it for a little management fun.  Well, what was said earlier has pretty much been the case with me.  I came in at the middle to late in MT#5, and no matter what I tried I lost money.  I tried all the tips and tricks, read the FAQs, read up on the forums, but no luck.  I tried small planes, large planes, under- or un-utilized markets, non-competing routes, single routes, multiple routes, high-cost/high access marketing, low-cost/minor access marketing...  It really seems that, unless you get into a game right near the beginning, there's no way to make enough money to grow.

And after a while, even as route image gets to the point where you're getting some reasonable returns, and as you limp along breaking even, one of the established airlines comes in putting 3x capacity on your routes (check out KMCI-KMSP for example) which cuts your load factors by 1/3 to 1/2 (even with 100 route image), leaving you with a smouldering heap of airline that's $5m in the red.

Five attempts, five BK's, and all the help and tips couldn't make a late-in-the-game entrant viable, let alone profitable. 

Offline eleritz

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 09:47:24 PM »

Or, to put it another way: if you donīt go b/k, you wonīt be allowed to play another game world;)

If building a successful airline is a crime, it's a justifiable idea. But if it's not, it's absurd.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.