Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Scheduling Question  (Read 3869 times)

michael95u

• Former member
Scheduling Question
« on: September 26, 2011, 11:14:45 PM »
So I have been playing Airwaysim for a while. A competitor has moved into IAD. He is scheduling his Dash 8's one flight number at a time for each destination. See Party Time Airlines route to CLT for example.

Thanks!

Michael

Offline Sanabas

• Members
Re: Scheduling Question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 12:08:17 AM »
You forgot to ask the question.  :P

I assume the question is: Why would he be doing that?

The answer is to make his scheduling more efficient, and more flexible. Instead of making a 24 hour schedule that is applied to one plane, with a chunk removed from it for A-check each week, you can make a 163 hour schedule, stick the 5 hour A-check at the end, and then copy it 6 more times, moving all the flights forward by one day each time. So there is still 1 daily flight leaving at the same time, it is just being flown by a different plane each day.

For a really simple example of why this is a good idea, imagine all the routes you have available take 10 hours, including turnarounds. Normally, you can fly 2 routes per plane, and one of the routes will need to be 6 times a week, so you can schedule maintenance. With 7 planes, you'll cover 14 destinations, 91 flights per week. With a 7 day schedule, you can cover 16 destinations, 112 flights per week. It's much easier to fit routes neatly into a 163 hour span than it is into a 24 hour span.

michael95u

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:30:44 AM »
Gotcha. I thought he might be doing it to take market share as he is killing me with his Dash 8's on some longer legs....

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:58:50 AM »
Won't make a difference to market share. 7 flights a week with a single route number will give exactly the same as 7 flights a week flown by 7 different planes will.

Using 2 Dash 8's vs your 1 737 or similar sized plane will take the market share though.

Coltav

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 04:01:36 PM »
Hi,

I'm still a bit of a novice at AWS.  I still don't quite understand optimizing scheduling.  Specifically, I don't understand the aircraft scheduling to have a different plane serve the same flight daily.  I think this has something to do with flying overnight.  I've never been able to figure out how to fly more than 6am to midnight or so. 

I see other pros that schedule differently.  Obviously I have to have 7 planes fly a rotating weekly schedule, but then do I have to set up a different flight for every day at the same time? 

Any help??

Thanks!

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 12:38:02 AM »
Hi,

I'm still a bit of a novice at AWS.  I still don't quite understand optimizing scheduling.  Specifically, I don't understand the aircraft scheduling to have a different plane serve the same flight daily.  I think this has something to do with flying overnight.  I've never been able to figure out how to fly more than 6am to midnight or so. 

I see other pros that schedule differently.  Obviously I have to have 7 planes fly a rotating weekly schedule, but then do I have to set up a different flight for every day at the same time? 

Any help??

Thanks!

Here's a c&p from my notepad planning, it's for a 7 day ATR schedule for me in DotM.

Mon 715 Orsk 2100 Brno
Tue 615 Kristiansand 1630 Cardiff via RNB
Wed 805 Hanover 1855 Coventry via RNB
Thur 935 Split 2100 Fergana via GUW
Fri 1415 Marsa via TJK
Sat 835 Durham via RNB 2250 Ibiza via PED
Sun 1705 Napoli via Kosice

The times are when the flights depart, and my planning page says how long the flight takes, including the 45 minute turn at the end. Another c&p from my notepad:

6-10
------23-6kristiansand 1015
--------23-6 Hanover 1050 (1855-1905)
-----Brno 915 (2030-2100)
Samsun 935
-------------Orsk 855
tyumen 1000

So Brno takes 915, and I can fly it overnight if I take off between 2030-2100. As I construct my schedule, I'm picking flights out of that big list to fit neatly. So I take off for Brno at 2100, and the next flight can leave at 0615 the next day. I'll use ------ to say I've put the flight on a planned schedule, and usually need to chop & change a little at the end of the week to make it fit neatly. Once I have a neat, 168 hour schedule, I'll schedule it, delete all those new flights from my planning page (haven't yet done this for my last ATR group, hence having it in my notepad), and wait for more planes to do it again.

To schedule it, I set up a flight to Orsk at Monday, 0715, then copy it 6 times to the other days of the week. I set up a flight to Marsa via TJK, monday 1415, then copy that 6 times to the other days of the week. I'll always start on Monday, and I'll go through the schedule in order (makes adding the routes to the schedule easy, I find), so Orsk, then Brno, then Kristiansand, etc. Do that for all of them, and I'll have 84 flights, I then schedule 12 each to each of 7 planes. I've attached a picture of a part of my ATR schedule. It's a different 7 day group to the one above, but it works exactly the same way. As you can see, I have almost zero downtime each week, other than the 5 hours for A-check. Every flight is 45 minutes after the previous one lands.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.