Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: A flight can delay 6 days for its return flight?  (Read 1472 times)

vitongwangki

• Former member
A flight can delay 6 days for its return flight?
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:21:20 PM »
http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Planning/WSSS/KORD/

Just curious that why 6 asterisks on Jumbo_shrimp's flight.
What does it mean?
(For every asterisk, my understand is one day delayed for the flight arrive.)

Chavaquiah

• Former member
Re: A flight can delay 6 days for its return flight?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »
My understanding is that those are flights that arrive before they leave.

Oh, the joy of time zones!  8)

vitongwangki

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:56:21 PM »
My understanding is that those are flights that arrive before they leave.

Oh, the joy of time zones!  8)
Is it ever possible for a 764ER with tech-stop, flying over 8000NM within 8 hours? Equipped with Olympus Engine?

Chavaquiah

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 04:59:51 PM »
Absolutely, if the flight crosses the International Date Line in the appropriate direction (i.e. going east).

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Date_Line

Crossing the IDL travelling east results in a day or 24 hours being subtracted, so that the traveller repeats the date to the west of the line. Crossing west results in a day being added, that is, the date is the eastern side date plus one calendar day. The line is necessary in order to have a fixed, albeit arbitrary, boundary on the globe where the calendar date advances.

vitongwangki

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 05:14:37 PM »
Absolutely, if the flight crosses the International Date Line in the appropriate direction (i.e. going east).

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Date_Line

In this case even I add back 24, it just cost 8hrs for whole return flight.

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 05:44:06 PM »
Nope. He's flying into a secret base, you shouldn't know where it is.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »
http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Planning/WSSS/KORD/

Just curious that why 6 asterisks on Jumbo_shrimp's flight.
What does it mean?
(For every asterisk, my understand is one day delayed for the flight arrive.)

6 stars is based on passenger rating of the flight.  On a scale of 1 to 5, JSW flight was rated 6.  It must have something to do with the beverages served in Yakutsk:  ;)

http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,34230.0.html

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 11:07:22 PM »
It must have something to do with the beverages served in Yakutsk:  ;)

Don't remind me.  My head still hurts   :)

vitongwangki

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 02:10:05 AM »
6 stars is based on passenger rating of the flight.  On a scale of 1 to 5, JSW flight was rated 6.  It must have something to do with the beverages served in Yakutsk:  ;)

http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,34230.0.html
How about if you post about the scheduling screencap with the cursor on that flight, just want to see if it is bug or not. :)

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 03:04:39 AM »
How about if you post about the scheduling screencap with the cursor on that flight, just want to see if it is bug or not. :)

No, it is not a flight time bug.  Maybe a display bug.  The flights take the amount of time that is expected for this route.  22:10 one way, 21:40 the other way:

vitongwangki

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 03:08:23 AM »
No, it is not a flight time bug.  Maybe a display bug.  The flights take the amount of time that is expected for this route.  22:10 one way, 21:40 the other way:

Then please Sami fix this display bug :)

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 03:09:08 AM »
good scheduling

Offline FlyTO

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 03:41:46 AM »
good scheduling

Good scheduling but 764s flying 3 routes a week shouldn't be making any moneys.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 03:46:30 AM »
There were two bugs I reported in 1.2 that seem relevant. One was that crossing the date line was adding/subtracting 24 hours to arrival times when it shouldn't be. Sami said that'd be fixed for 1.3, I assume it has been. It certainly still exists in 1.2, I just created a DOTM route from UUEE-NTAA that takes off at 1220 Tuesday in Moscow (0920 Tuesday UTC) flies for 22 hours, and lands in Tahiti at 2115 Monday (0715 Tuesday UTC), which gives a flight time of -2 hours.  :o

The other issue, which I don't think was going to be fixed (I remember not being able to convince Sami it was a bug, I'll try and find the thread), is that the *** to indicate +1, 2 or 6 days are measured from the tech stop, not the original departure.

If a flight leaves Singapore at 1155 Friday (355 Fri UTC), flies 21.40, it should land at Chicago at 1935 Friday (135 Sat UTC). If that first bug hasn't been fixed, then the plane would land at 1935 Thursday, which would explain the ******.

If the first bug has been fixed, but the second hasn't, that would also explain the ******. Leave Singapore 1155 Friday (355 Fri UTC), Leave Yakutsk at 0055 Saturday (1555 Fri UTC), reach Chicago at 1935 Friday (135 Sat UTC). All the flight times are then correct, the issue for the display is the flight has departed Yakutsk on Saturday, arrived in Chicago on Friday, hence the 6 stars.

Can't tell which of those two it is without a screenie of 'copy this route' showing which days it takes the slots from. Any chance we can have one?

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 03:55:29 AM »
http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,28027.msg143491.htm is the thread I'm talking about. The problem with the dateline was changed, the problem with the stars for arriving next day being based off when it leaves the tech stop rather than when it leaves the original base was not.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 04:11:12 AM »
There were two bugs I reported in 1.2 that seem relevant. One was that crossing the date line was adding/subtracting 24 hours to arrival times when it shouldn't be. Sami said that'd be fixed for 1.3, I assume it has been. It certainly still exists in 1.2, I just created a DOTM route from UUEE-NTAA that takes off at 1220 Tuesday in Moscow (0920 Tuesday UTC) flies for 22 hours, and lands in Tahiti at 2115 Monday (0715 Tuesday UTC), which gives a flight time of -2 hours.  :o

I remember you reporting that bug, and I followed the threat with interest.

The other issue, which I don't think was going to be fixed (I remember not being able to convince Sami it was a bug, I'll try and find the thread), is that the *** to indicate +1, 2 or 6 days are measured from the tech stop, not the original departure.

If a flight leaves Singapore at 1155 Friday (355 Fri UTC), flies 21.40, it should land at Chicago at 1935 Friday (135 Sat UTC). If that first bug hasn't been fixed, then the plane would land at 1935 Thursday, which would explain the ******.

If the first bug has been fixed, but the second hasn't, that would also explain the ******. Leave Singapore 1155 Friday (355 Fri UTC), Leave Yakutsk at 0055 Saturday (1555 Fri UTC), reach Chicago at 1935 Friday (135 Sat UTC). All the flight times are then correct, the issue for the display is the flight has departed Yakutsk on Saturday, arrived in Chicago on Friday, hence the 6 stars.

Can't tell which of those two it is without a screenie of 'copy this route' showing which days it takes the slots from. Any chance we can have one?

The bug has been fixed as far as calculation of dates and the slots taken.  But there are numerous display bugs (including those stars).  Maybe I should post in the bug forum.

As to your point, a flight leaving SIN at 1155 Friday does indeed land at 1935 Friday in Chicago. 

More interesting is the flight from Chicago to Singapore:

It leaves Chicago at 1940 Wednesday.
Lands in Yakutsk at 2345 Thursday (crossing the dateline)
Leaves Yakutsk at 0105 Friday
Lands in Singapore at 0940 still Friday

So the comment on the edit screen should say +2 days on ORD-SIN (it says +1)
SIN-ORD should say nothing, despite crossing the dateline.  (it says -1)

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 04:45:24 AM »
More interesting is the flight from Chicago to Singapore:

It leaves Chicago at 1940 Wednesday.
Lands in Yakutsk at 2345 Thursday (crossing the dateline)
Leaves Yakutsk at 0105 Friday
Lands in Singapore at 0940 still Friday

So the comment on the edit screen should say +2 days on ORD-SIN (it says +1)
SIN-ORD should say nothing, despite crossing the dateline.  (it says -1)

I'd actually remove that 'crossed dateline' notification entirely, but if it stays in, I think it's better the way it is. It leaves at 2130 wed, lands at 940, presumably Thursday. But it's crossed the dateline, so +1 day = Friday.  It then leaves Singapore at 1135 Fri, lands at 1935, presumably Sat based on flight time/heading east. But it's -1 day for the dateline, so it actually lands on Friday. The +1/-1 indicate the difference from what it appears to be, rather than a +2/+0 indicating the overall day change. Changing to +2/+0 would be even more confusing, I think. It'd also mean there should be +1/-1 notifactions for any flight that lands on a different day to when it takes off.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 04:52:05 AM »
I'd actually remove that 'crossed dateline' notification entirely, but if it stays in, I think it's better the way it is. It leaves at 2130 wed, lands at 940, presumably Thursday. But it's crossed the dateline, so +1 day = Friday.  It then leaves Singapore at 1135 Fri, lands at 1935, presumably Sat based on flight time/heading east. But it's -1 day for the dateline, so it actually lands on Friday. The +1/-1 indicate the difference from what it appears to be, rather than a +2/+0 indicating the overall day change. Changing to +2/+0 would be even more confusing, I think. It'd also mean there should be +1/-1 notifactions for any flight that lands on a different day to when it takes off.

Can you copy to my new bug report so that Sami notices it?

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 05:03:19 AM »
done.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 05:54:51 AM »
Good scheduling but 764s flying 3 routes a week shouldn't be making any moneys.

Thanks.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.