Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Any pointers?  (Read 847 times)

jordanD

• Former member
Any pointers?
« on: September 07, 2011, 05:14:18 PM »
I'm running a small airline with 2 717's, a company image in the low-mid 20's (which I don't think is horrible for such a small airline), and my planes are pretty heavily utilized. I'm just not making a dime though. Load factors are in the low to mid 80's, yields are decent, pricing is slightly above default. I ran pretty far into the red getting the airline up and going, made a lot of it back into the black, but now I'm going back into the red again. Any pointers? It's pretty difficult running with just 2 aircraft since one of them going into maintenance kills my profits, but I just don't have the cash to get anymore planes right now. Any tips? Or is bankruptcy pretty much the only option at this point?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Any pointers?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »
Running a 2 plane fleet isn't really large enough, so try to get at least 5+ planes and it gets easier. But without knowing the situation any better it's hard to tell on how to achieve this.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:05:27 PM »
I'm running a small airline with 2 717's, a company image in the low-mid 20's (which I don't think is horrible for such a small airline), and my planes are pretty heavily utilized. I'm just not making a dime though. Load factors are in the low to mid 80's, yields are decent, pricing is slightly above default. I ran pretty far into the red getting the airline up and going, made a lot of it back into the black, but now I'm going back into the red again. Any pointers? It's pretty difficult running with just 2 aircraft since one of them going into maintenance kills my profits, but I just don't have the cash to get anymore planes right now. Any tips? Or is bankruptcy pretty much the only option at this point?

I tried running a 717 airline as well and got upto about 5 aircraft (all 717) with the same deal as you (80%+ LF, even with C class seats).  I ended up bankrupting also due to the maintenance.  The game is skewed heavily towards large aircraft and props being the only viable options for aircraft.  Your best bet is to BK and go with the 737 (which is more fuel efficient than the 717) or props like the Dash-8 if you are looking at ~100 seater flights.  The problem with this is that these aircraft are always in high demand and you'll either have to watch the used market like a hawk or wait many months for delivery of a brand new one.

stefan.aj@hotmail.com

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:21:25 PM »
1) You dont have enough seats in your planes
2) You should start out with shorter routes if possible
3) Your schedule is to complicated with night stops not at base airport
4) Some of youre turnrounds are to short, wich is why your regularity is only 80%

Do you have default pricing on tickets?

Offline FlyTO

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
I can lease you some B753, E195 or A320s if you're interested.

jordanD

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 12:58:41 AM »
1) You dont have enough seats in your planes
2) You should start out with shorter routes if possible
3) Your schedule is to complicated with night stops not at base airport
4) Some of youre turnrounds are to short, wich is why your regularity is only 80%

Do you have default pricing on tickets?
I believe having an all coach class configuration I could only squeeze 100 seats in there. I put 8 biz class seats and they hold 98 total, I figured the biz class ticket prices would offset the difference.
Shorter routes is a tough one, I pretty much took what wasn't being flown and had enough demand.
The night stops allowed me to squeeze in an extra daily flight as opposed to having the airplane terminate around 1900-2000. Had to do some schedule tweaking to get squeeze enough flights in. Looks like I'll be bankrupting and giving it another shot!

stefan.aj@hotmail.com

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 11:15:04 AM »
I use the following configurations with succes on my B 717s:
1) Y115
2) Y110 C4
3) Y105 C8

Peanutoil

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 11:23:37 AM »
I use the following configurations with succes on my B 717s:
1) Y115
2) Y110 C4
3) Y105 C8

Reconfig the 717 into HD config is not always feasible. Remember don't fly the HD config-ed plane too far away. I seldom fly them out of 500NM range.

stefan.aj@hotmail.com

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 11:50:59 AM »
I fly HD configured B717 from Cebu to Bangkok, wich is 1378 NM, and it works out really good. No competition on the route though.

Peanutoil

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 01:48:39 PM »

Competition can kill if he uses Standard configs
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:50:59 PM by Peanutoil »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.