Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Yak-42 Crash  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
Yak-42 Crash
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:27:38 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14822582

For those who are interested yet another old Russian aircraft has crashed. 36 have been killed.

Ilyushin

• Former member
Re: Yak-42 Crash
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 03:08:38 PM »
Certainly the russian airplanes are running through very sinuous roads currently. What a shame.

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »
I've jusd read that it was carrying the Lokomotiv Hockey Club. Apparently 2 survivors now.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:14:03 PM »
I saw this too.   :'(

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:10:58 AM »
Certainly the russian airplanes are running through very sinuous roads currently. What a shame.

Do they already know what happened then? I think it's a bit premature to blame the Russian aircraft without mentioning ANOTHER incident with an Air France A343, disconnecting the AP at times nobody's expecting it.
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 07:26:23 AM »
Do they already know what happened then? I think it's a bit premature to blame the Russian aircraft without mentioning ANOTHER incident with an Air France A343, disconnecting the AP at times nobody's expecting it.

I'm not blaming the Russian airplanes! I simply said that they're transiting turbulent times, lack of luck, karma prosecution, whatever suits you best.
I am in the industry, sort of, and there's nothing more appalling than premature easy conclusions or opinions that don't bring nothing to the table. I always say to my peers that we need to wait and be patient because there're capable people investigating and that they most certainly will, after some time, elaborate preliminary and final reports.
I.E. I'm not placing any guilts nor blaming the aircraft. Why would I? I wasn't there, nor flew in a Yak42, or hold any title that enable to make accident studies.

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 08:29:09 AM »
I guess you're right. Although I do think the media loves it when it happens in Russia or Iran or countries like that but when a similar sized aircraft crashes in the US, it hardly makes the news. The fact that this time some ice Hockey was involved obviously magnifies everything.

Terrible shame..
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 09:09:56 AM »
I hear you. Last Friday a CASA 212 crashed in the sea in Chile killing 22, and the news stood for almost 5 days, in part because there're very few aircrashes in S. America, but mainly because one of the passengers was the most notorious male TV presenter of Chile.
Anyway, the common sense is to blame the pilot first, as in the CASA. The young female co-pilot is being labelled as the responsible, or the one who made a mistake while pilot-flying the airplane into a tiny island in the Pacific 800nm offshore, trying to land (and no alternate) in a 3000ft runway surrounded by cliffs and attacked by strong winds, with lots of gusts, up and down drifts due to mountainous terrain, windshear and stuff.
Of course everybody knows how to handle the situation, everybody is expert on the matter.
Everything that is said extra-officially is cheap and has no weight, so better shut up and appear to be an idiot rather than speak out and confirm it. We need to let the trained people do the job.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 11:43:12 AM »
I guess you're right. Although I do think the media loves it when it happens in Russia or Iran or countries like that but when a similar sized aircraft crashes in the US, it hardly makes the news.

This is completely an inaccurate.  Honestly, where do you get your information??? 

They report on every plane crash.  Local news picks up every C 172 that ditches in the woods.   Recently, a plane crashed at an air show (reported)... another man fell from a biplane at an air show (reported).   An American Chinook was shot down in Afghanistan (reported)...  The last commercial flight that had a fatal crash domestically was Colgan Air Flight 3407 and it was on TV non stop... Heck, we saw videos of CRJs landing at JFK with the gear up last year.   And since the 10th anniversary of 9/11 is in 3 days, they've been running air safety reports for weeks.   You are just WRONG.   

Seriously, so many of you continually make it sound like Americans are the coldest bastards on the planet.

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »
You know Swiftus, you are right in that aspect. The hysteria comes when its about airplanes falling with people inside. Here in Argentina there are bus (50pax) accidents every two weeks, and it is soooo normal that they are broadcasted for 1/2 a day maybe. But when a plane goes down....And that's what I said in my post.
You were talking about live coverage of no-wheel landings an the like. It made me remember one day when I was watching the local news (yes, local, ie Buenos Aires traffic havoc, this minister that minister, robbery etc) and then flashnews! they went directly to an ABC cable news reporting a plane in the LAX area with landing gear problems! LAX! and it wasn't even a commercial plane, it was a Cessna 310! I watched the poor little twin holding for about 10 mins until commercial! Remember I was watching a local channel in Buenos Aires uh.

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 12:37:31 PM »
This is completely an inaccurate.  Honestly, where do you get your information??? 

They report on every plane crash.  Local news picks up every C 172 that ditches in the woods.   Recently, a plane crashed at an air show (reported)... another man fell from a biplane at an air show (reported).   An American Chinook was shot down in Afghanistan (reported)...  The last commercial flight that had a fatal crash domestically was Colgan Air Flight 3407 and it was on TV non stop... Heck, we saw videos of CRJs landing at JFK with the gear up last year.   And since the 10th anniversary of 9/11 is in 3 days, they've been running air safety reports for weeks.   You are just WRONG.   

Seriously, so many of you continually make it sound like Americans are the coldest bastards on the planet.

Yea, I have to agree. In the UK it is the same, every crash is reported. If someone has crashed a microlight into a hedge it gets into the local news, if someone was killed crashing a C172 it will get on national news. The Red Arrow that came down a few weeks ago was in the news for several days. When Manx2 Flight 7100 crashed that was in the news for ages, and that was only a small crash killing six. BA 38 was in the news even longer! Look at AF447, its still lingering now and again.

The point that these Russian crashes and the like get in the news more often is they happen more often. I'm pretty sure if a jet of a similar size came down in the US or Europe it would be on the news. Think of the reaction if something the size of a Tu-154 crashed over Lincolnshire, it would be in the new for weeks and weeks. 

Zabuti

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »

Hello

I also work in the industry, and I can tell you that this "incident" was very different from the AF447 (gratefully).

But the info was relayed by a reporter in a French newspaper called Figaro, and this reporter (F. Amedeo) really has something against the Air France company. He's also got access to secure data and does not hide it. I do not know how he's got that access, but I believe we need a second thought since his aeronautical analysis are shameful.

Take the time to think, read the BEA reports in English (they are usually far from what's interpreted in the press) and then make up your own mind.

Food for thought

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 11:42:10 PM »
I guess you're right. Although I do think the media loves it when it happens in Russia or Iran or countries like that but when a similar sized aircraft crashes in the US, it hardly makes the news. The fact that this time some ice Hockey was involved obviously magnifies everything.

Terrible shame..

If 42 people died in an aircraft crash in the US, I wouldn't be able to NOT hear about it for at least a week.  It would be about the ONLY thing discussed for at least 2 solid days with staggeringly impossible amounts of conjecture about what happened.  The media hardly "loves" when a plane goes down in a former Soviet-bloc and/or ally nation, and the fact is that, if anything, the media barely even MENTIONS when a plane goes down anywhere outside of the US, Western Europe, or the seemingly-important industrialized parts of Asia unless it happened to be packed full of citizens from said areas.  If not for the fact that there were former NHL and European hockey players on that plane it would have literally not gotten more than a blurb across the bottom of the screen on CNN let alone screen time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:45:17 PM by Sigma »

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 12:04:48 AM »
If 42 people died in an aircraft crash in the US, I wouldn't be able to NOT hear about it for at least a week.  It would be about the ONLY thing discussed for at least 2 solid days with staggeringly impossible amounts of conjecture about what happened.  The media hardly "loves" when a plane goes down in a former Soviet-bloc and/or ally nation, and the fact is that, if anything, the media barely even MENTIONS when a plane goes down anywhere outside of the US, Western Europe, or the seemingly-important industrialized parts of Asia unless it happened to be packed full of citizens from said areas.  If not for the fact that there were former NHL and European hockey players on that plane it would have literally not gotten more than a blurb across the bottom of the screen on CNN let alone screen time.

I think they give TU 154 crashes in Iran a good amount of attention here in the US.    We always have to hear about the US embargo on plane/plane parts to Iran and thats why they are flying old Soviet aircraft but are catching up quickly. 

Ilyushin

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 09:34:42 PM »
44 deaths, 1 survivor. :(
The icehockey player passed away as well. Only the flight engineer lasts. Hope he will be ok.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »
44 deaths, 1 survivor. :(
The icehockey player passed away as well. Only the flight engineer lasts. Hope he will be ok.

It will be some solace if he does live and tell us what happened so that it never happens again.

Ilyushin

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 07:24:28 AM »
It is odd to see the icehockey team playing on YouTube.
Great sport, I practiced it as well.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.