Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: tips  (Read 2012 times)

bob123

• Former member
tips
« on: August 16, 2011, 02:17:19 PM »
can anyone give me a few tips on starting a airline that won't go bankrupt.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: tips
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:21:03 PM »
Well, that question is a bit too vague. But the "standard things" always apply (see newbie guides, FAQ etc); use planes from the same fleet group, choose base carefully, minimize expenses and maximize incomes.

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:22:24 PM »
What planes will i make a healthy profit

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »
What planes will i make a healthy profit

A320-200 or A321

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »
thank you

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:11:12 PM »
any other planes because none of those are avlible to lease and what types of routes

minerva

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:26:43 PM »
It really depends on your base and the kinds of routes available to you.  If you have a lot of destinations with decent demand (above 300 pax) under 450 NM from your base then go with turboprops: Q400s or ATRs.  If short haul routes of 400-1500 NM then A32X or B737; ranges above that and you should consider B757 and A300/10. International Long Haul and then you are looking at B767 and A330/40. Avoid B777 and B747. 
The key thing is, identify what type of route your base has lots of, find a/c that fit that profile and stick with them (and only one fleet type, if you can) until all the demand is filled.  Only once you are profitable beyond your first set of C checks should you consider another fleet type.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:47:44 PM »
The biggest mistakes you've made with the one you just started are to have 3 planes from different fleets, having a 12 seat plane, and scheduling your planes for the minimum possible turnaround time, which results in delays and your company image becoming negative.

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 12:40:35 AM »
thank you, you think i should start over

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 01:30:36 AM »
Looks like you have restarted. You're going to run into problems pretty quickly again though. You still have short turnarounds, which will cause lots of delays, and make your CI plummet. Flight 005 to MCO has a 35 minute turn, gets back to JAX at 1820. Then you're sending it out again after just 25 minutes on flight 007, another 25 minute turn at MCO, and it get backs to JAX at 1955, then sits idle for 10 hours. It's sometimes justifiable to shorten the turns in order to jam in an extra route, and hope the extra cash outweighs the problems with delayed flights. But you could set all your turns to 45 minutes, and still fly the same 4 routes and have the plane back before midnight.

You've also given your 2nd plane a 1520 route to MCO. The manual explicitly says don't EVER schedule two flights to the same place at the exact same time, because the system will treat them as a single flight, and penalise you for it too. That route is under 200 pax, your flights on it need to be a minimum of 1 hour apart.

No reason you can't fix those things now and still be successful, but if you don't fix them, you'll have negative CI and going bankrupt again within a game month or two.

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 02:49:39 AM »
I am just starting to look for money maker planes right now I will hopefully redraft again and you can help me through it btw what airline do you run

Riger

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 03:02:53 AM »
One of the mistakes that are often made is one of impatience.  You really have to start out slow but getting the right things done properly.  In the long run, a low CI will hurt you and the things that impact that CI should be nurtured ....  marketing, adequate turn around times, aircraft in good condition, frequent flights to a destination and many other things. Set it up properly in the beginning and then walk away from it for a real life day or three.  If you set it up right, just monitor it for a bit and then take the next step ....

When you rush things, you end up with aircraft that are very tired flying too many legs to too many places with turn arounds that are too short and LF's that go nowhere causing your CI to go into the red and your money even further ....

along with all the other advice from other players, my tip is : PATIENCE

Best Regards

Richard

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 03:33:59 AM »
Richard's answer is the best answer. :laugh:

wtdawg

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 03:59:06 AM »
When you start, pick two cities to fly to that have enough demand for at least two flights a day (preferably more), with little to no competition and DOMINATE those routes.  And stick to a single plane type.  This will allow you to gain capital to use for expansion.

The mistake I see failed start ups make is 1) they grab any plane available, but even more of a problem is that 2) they want to fly to a whole bunch of cities right away.  I've seen just launched airlines with seven cities on their timetable.  This will kill an airline faster than the multiple plane types.  You have to have staffing for every city you fly to, so why go to seven cities when you can have the same passenger demand serving just two (plus your base)?

Only when my airline is going good do I fly to cities that have demand for just one flight a day - and that's usually because it just happens to fit the time schedule I need a particular plane to fly. 

Good luck!

ceilidh

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 06:07:45 AM »
just a quick question out there.. if you are not expanding on routes... and no plans to for atleast a year.. can you lay off ur route stratagies deptartment?

Riger

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 07:51:12 AM »
just a quick question out there.. if you are not expanding on routes... and no plans to for atleast a year.. can you lay off ur route stratagies deptartment?

Ceilidh ..

I am sure some of the bigger guns will weigh in soon however, it is my own strategy to never mess with the staffing numbers, I set it to auto and leave it there.  I don't think the game actually considers the type of staff you have, it only knows how much it thinks you should have an measures the delta accordingly.  If you have less staff than it anticipates you require then you will find an increase in delays due to "Staff shortage", which will in turn have a negative impact on the profits and the CI.

Every few game months I do a detailed review of all the incomes and expenses, the staffing and delays etc....  specifically looking for unexpected problems, not to try and curb ongoing costs.

Hope this helps and answers your question.

Best Regards

Richard

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 08:50:35 AM »
I am just starting to look for money maker planes right now I will hopefully redraft again and you can help me through it btw what airline do you run

If you click on someone's username, you can see all their airline names. Mine is Nullas Anxietas, based in Sydney. Not the best example to look at though, as I have not been very patient, and while I chose a 2nd fleet group at the start in order to get more slots and more routes, I'd have done better to not get them at all, since I plan to phase that group out eventually. I managed to lease 10 planes in two weeks, leaving me maxxed out on loans and with 0 cash, and then it cost me $12 million to schedule the routes. Much riskier than I intended it to be, thanks to not realising how dramatic some of the changes for 1.3 were.

If I was starting up in JAX now, I'd choose MD-80s as my initial fleet. Big enough, available enough and cheap enough to start up with You should get 3 planes with your initial 6 million. You have lots of routes good for them, stuff between 500-1000 nm that will take 6-9 hours for a round trip, plus stuff like Denver, Vegas and various Californian airports for later too. I'd plan to use them for 3-6 years before phasing them out. Long term, I'd plan on one fleet of 737/a320, and one of ATR/Q400s. Probably ATR, because they're also very available, so you can expand with MD80s & ATRs. But don't get your first ATR until you have at least 5-10 MD80s, and you are struggling to find any more on the used market.

For my initial routes, I'd choose to fly to ORD. Should take about 7 hours 30 with 65 minute turnarounds. It can handle 6 MD80 flights per day easily, and it's currently empty apart from one daily jumbo flight. I'd set the turnarounds to ~80 minutes, whatever makes the flights exactly 8 hours apart, so a 7am takeoff returns to base at 1340. First plane would fly at 0700, 1500, 2300, with the third flight not going tuesdays. Second plane would fly at 1100, 1900, 0100, with the third flight not going Sundays. 3rd plane, same deal of 3 8 hour flights, this time to Houston. 4th plane, which I'd lease as soon as I could get take a loan to get up to $2 million in cash, 3 times a day to Newark. Then keep expanding from there.

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 01:15:03 PM »
how do i take out a bigger loan

starrymarkb

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »
A320-200 or A321

They pop up - I've just managed to get one after refreshing about 6 times in 30 mins... (at work so hitting refresh between customers) about 3 popped up.

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 01:32:05 PM »
cool

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.