Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: LF problem  (Read 1432 times)

GDK

• Former member
LF problem
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:35:36 AM »
I'm the only one flying this route, using an A319 (9.4 years old) and an A320-200 (3.3 years old) supplying a total of 282 seats on this 280 pax demand route. RI is now 84 and CI 40. When I opened this route, the LF grows slowly but after some time it started to fluctuate abnormally, most of the time below expected. I update the ticket price every time I see the fuel price change and I always set it to default pricing.

I have more than 1 routes having this problem, directly reducing my income.

Offline SAC

• Members
Re: LF problem
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »
What time are your departures ?   If they are closer than say 45mins then the load will be split between the two flights !   If a route has less than 1000 demand I space departures by 1 hour to be certain LF's will not be reduced.
...it's not over until I say it's over

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:00:54 PM »
What time are your departures ?   If they are closer than say 45mins then the load will be split between the two flights !   If a route has less than 1000 demand I space departures by 1 hour to be certain LF's will not be reduced.

The departure time of these flights are all separated more than 1 hour.
I have around 15 routes having these problem and it is very painful, making me survive but unable to expand normally.

minerva

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 02:29:29 PM »
I've a number of routes with similar fluctuations and low LFs despite having a CI of 90 and RI of 100, no or limited competition, and well spaced departures. I did have some problems with spacing of departures (using the gaps in the schedule of LH aircraft on SH routes is no longer a good idea, I've discovered), but once I fixed those, some of these problematic routes remain.  I haven't yet been able to isolate what has changed or why these one aren't working like the rest.  Unfortunately, I've also made a couple of poor long-term decisions lately and those and my just-getting-by on what I have, means I'm now in a downward spiral.  I like the changes to 1.3 to make growth more challenging, but I'm puzzled by exactly why some otherwise sound routing decisions have proved so problematic.

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 03:45:35 PM »
The LF dropped to as low as 28% and this is ridiculous+unacceptable.
I bet this is one of the reason why so many airlines with big fleet went BK recently.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »
Is it possible that demand dropped?

The interval between flights is dependent on the demand of the route.  If the demand fell slightly to whatever point the system determines a larger interval is needed, your flights may have gone to a point where they are now getting penalized.

Can you try to move one out another hour and see what happens?

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »
The LF dropped to as low as 28% and this is ridiculous+unacceptable.
I bet this is one of the reason why so many airlines with big fleet went BK recently.

The route has a full competition. There are two airlines sharing the demand, both providing approx. 100% demand worth of seats.

And you are only staring at the load factor number, while you must look at the seats sold figures. Since you are flying with a widely different sized planes there (ATR, Dash-8, A321) so the LF on a larger plane is bound to be lower than with a smaller plane, if they both have roughly the same amount of seats sold.

=> Nothing ridiculous detected.....

minerva

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 06:41:13 PM »
Sami,
sorry, but are you looking at the same flight GDK posted on: KMIA-KSLC?  I can't tell the history of the route, perhaps there have been other airlines on it that have since dropped it, by right now it shows only GDK's airline supplying c. 100% demand using A319 and A320.  If he is having wild fluctuations on that without competition, surely some other variable is at work?

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 06:51:55 PM »
The flights are only 55 minutes apart in departure time at 1815 & 1910, so I would assume it was this causing the problem.

EDIT:  With regard to the other flights with a similar problem:

- You also have 2x flights departing Miami - Grand Cayman departing at the same time of 0515, so they won't perform well. 
- Also to Kingston you have departures at 1225 & 1320, which is less than the recommended hour gap.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:56:12 PM by Daveos »

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 09:24:10 PM »
The flights are only 55 minutes apart in departure time at 1815 & 1910, so I would assume it was this causing the problem.

EDIT:  With regard to the other flights with a similar problem:

- You also have 2x flights departing Miami - Grand Cayman departing at the same time of 0515, so they won't perform well.  
- Also to Kingston you have departures at 1225 & 1320, which is less than the recommended hour gap.

I knew the Grand Cayman and Kingston route and I'm going to edit it when I get another ATR. The weird thing is the 2 flight starting at 0515 is still having LF at an average of higher than 50%.

What about my KMIA-MMPR and KMIA-CYWG?

The route has a full competition. There are two airlines sharing the demand, both providing approx. 100% demand worth of seats.

And you are only staring at the load factor number, while you must look at the seats sold figures. Since you are flying with a widely different sized planes there (ATR, Dash-8, A321) so the LF on a larger plane is bound to be lower than with a smaller plane, if they both have roughly the same amount of seats sold.

=> Nothing ridiculous detected.....
I think you are talking about KMIA-MYNN but I have no problem with this route, still making good profit at this level of competition.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:30:38 PM by GDK »

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 07:57:34 AM »
True, I mislooked it (opened by LF info only)

Offline Pai

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:18:37 AM »
can I borrow this thread to ask a similar question?

How can we get the optimal LF?

One of my route, KDTW - KTYS,
departs 15:15 and back to base at 19:55 everyday, 7x a week.
RI is 100 for a while, ticket price is at default (reset frequently)
The demand is 170 pax/average and I use a leased A320, standard seat config.
No competition

I get a LF about 70-72%, and based my v1.2 knowledge I should expecting 85%+?

Does this because of my relatively low CI (30)?

Thanks
Pai
Lunar Airways

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »
Yea, maybe the CI caused it. I get my highest LF of around 90% with 40CI and 100RI.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.