Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Not sure what to make of this, had great hub, routes all to myself....  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Sanabas

• Members
Re: Not sure what to make of this, had great hub, routes all to myself....
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 05:58:54 PM »
This game starts with $6 million on startup, doesn't it? I'm talking about 3 (actually 4) MD-8x on startup. Or 6 737-200s. Yep, neither is fuel efficient. But the leases are cheap for the number of seats, and they are available. That's basically all that's there in the 100-200 seat range currently. The others in that group are Avros & 717s, which are equally inefficient on fuel, and cost far more to lease, and the BAe 146 & 737-3/4/5. Those are probably workable too, but there are less available.

If you want to go bigger, there are a300s and L1011s there, but they are really old, plenty thirsty, and you don't have too many routes out of Bradley for them. Can still be done though, I started my airline a few years in with 2 a300s, and grabbed more a300s & CRJs whenever I could get a loan for more. I'm now 2 years old, and am about to start phasing out the a300s.

If you want to go smaller, there are plenty of dash-8s, An-140 & F50s there. Very fuel efficient, but slot costs will mount quickly. Personally, if I was starting in Bradley, I'd go for 4 MD-8x, and then grab more of them and one of those 3 props whenever cash was available.

Why write 'but apparently they have horrible fuel burn stats'? Why not look up what the fuel burn is? MD81 burns 22.5kg per pax per hour. 737-200 26kg, 737-5 21.25kg

As for your turnarounds always being less than 5%, you only had 1 plane, so it was very easy to see exactly what your routes are. Since you've just restarted, I can't actually quote them.  :P But your late night flight to Detroit had a 45 minute turnaround, which is well over 5%. Your new schedule has 65 minute turns each and every time, which is 1.4%. So no worries.

So, I've now got a few questions for you. If there's a good reason, please explain it. If there's no good reason, think whether there's a good reason to change. Currently, you're running at 1.4% chance of delay on every turnaround, yet you have a 4 hour gap from the end of your detroit flight to the start of your Atlanta flight. Why not make the turns for those 3 flights 70 minutes, and reduce the chance of delay to the minimum 1%?

Your 2nd plane has 2 flights and a 7hr, 20 min gap. A round trip to Atlanta takes 7 hr 25. If you put a 60 min, 8% delay chance turn in the middle, it takes 7.20, and so fits perfectly. If you don't want to use an 8% turn, why aren't you flying a slightly shorter route instead? There are multiple empty routes available.

You've chosen 3 routes: Orlando can handle 10+ flights per day, and takes 8.20. Atlanta 10+, has 6 competitor's flights already, and takes 7.25, or 7.35 with 1% turns. Detroit can handle 2 flights, and has 2 competitor's flights already. The competitor has an ATR, so will likely increase that to 4 daily flights. 2 Atlanta flights leaves a 9.10 gap for the third flight, more than enough for another Orlando trip. Why are you flying to Detroit? Why fly twice to Atlanta and twice to Orlando instead of 4 times to Orlando?

A quick look at route planning says that along with the empty Orlando route, there's an empty route to Nashville (1-2 planes, just under 7.20 round trip), Chicago (10 planes, under 7.20, and the competition flies 2 jumbos a day), Indy (empty, 1 plane), Midway (empty, 1-2 planes). If your first 5 planes go twice daily to Orlando, once to Chicago, then the next one 3 x daily to Chicago, when the 7th plane arrives you'll be able to set up a 7 day schedule to just those 2 airports, flying 10-11 times daily, and fill both routes.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 06:05:48 PM »
Aaaand.....

You've just ordered plane #3. This time, you've picked a 10 hr 15 route to Dallas (6 planes, 1 jumbo competition), and an 8hr 15 to Minneapolis (3 planes, empty).

WHY?

One other little thing. Depends how long you'll be online for. You've just added 2 planes' worth of flights to your schedule, but they won't start flying for 7 RL hours. There will be 2 weekly staff payments before then. If you created them now, but didn't actually put them on the schedule until after the staff get paid in 6 RL hours, you'd save a decent chunk of cash, and every little bit can help on startup. If you won't be online to do it, no worries.

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 12:49:26 AM »
this is why I stay away from the U.S. :P

I find that putting turnarounds at 1hr on mainline aircraft routes is more than sufficient. Also, make sure to go into your personnel area and stop paying yourself. I laugh at all the people who actually take pride in how much money they waste paying themselves. Every airline I've made has gone well, and it was down to pure idiocy on my end (choosing bad aircraft, not logging on when I'm getting 16 aircraft delivered, avoiding checks to hold up money etcetc). If I were you, I would just fly to one city and serve the demand completely - I'm guessing that would be either Chicago or Atlanta. Then just move onto the next city, and continue down the list until you're down to routes that require either bigger (and longer-ranged) or smaller aircraft. I heard Bradley somewhere.. Did you mean Bradley, Connecticut or.. ? If so, I would look up all the demands before making any decisions. ;)

Cheers,
ICEcold

Offline GlobalCEO

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 03:11:38 AM »
What I did, after learning from my mistake, was start with the 737-200ADV then after the first C check I had my replacements coming in... the 717-200. These, i've found to be a great replacement for them because they fly a little faster, have the same turnaround time and you can max out the seats to meet the same load factors.

So far so good but I just took out a massive loan to expand to a new base and we will see how things work out....

Offline Pai

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »
I saw airlines with MD80 only fleet backed in about 2 game years, at fuel price around 600.
so pls stay away to those MD80s older than 15yrs

Pai
Lunar Airways

Par Avion

• Former member
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »
Hey Sanabas,

You mentioned a point that I was curious about. Am I correct that I can create the routes (and buy the slots) and then avoid assigning them to an aircraft until the aircraft is delivered and I won't pay the extra staffing costs during the couple of weeks while they're being delivered?

Many thanks!

Shane

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 01:53:08 PM »
Yep. Staff demands are based on scheduled routes, and staff are paid every Tuesday at midday. So if you are online and trying to save every last dollar, don't actually schedule the route until after the last Tuesday before the plane is delivered.

Par Avion

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
Yep. Staff demands are based on scheduled routes, and staff are paid every Tuesday at midday. So if you are online and trying to save every last dollar, don't actually schedule the route until after the last Tuesday before the plane is delivered.

Great. That's really handy to know. In one game I started off by leasing 7 props and immediately routed them all on countless different routes. I probably lost hundreds of thousands right off the bat by having the staff sit around drinking beer for two weeks before the planes arrived. Of course, that airline was probably always going to fail - too many thin routes, too many overheads.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.