Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Calling all carriers based in Africa on AWS, just checking but...  (Read 2497 times)

L1011fan

• Former member
by this time, weren't transatlantic flights from CMN, DKR, LOS, ACC, ABJ and the country of Zambia ( I forget the code for their main city) to JFK running full bore by this time? I know they weren't daily, but they were successful back then at a frequency of a few times a week by their respective national carriers. Royal Air Maroc has been flying to JFK for what seems like forever and Pan Am had success with their West African service. Isn't it time to raise demand by now? I know it wouldn't be needed daily by this point but I could see filling a large plane up 3-4x a week from some of these cities. Just a question. I'd like to see it happen and, yes, I know AWS isn't mimicking real life, but the service did exist then and it would be nice to see AWS give West Africa to North America a go with higher demand. And yes of course I want my carrier to be able to fill up an L-1011-500 3-4x a week ;). Any African carriers in AWS agree? Sami, its your call, but could we give it a go? :)

L1011fan

• Former member
Time for transatlantic from West Africa?...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »
About now is the time we had West African carriers as well as U.S. carriers flying to the African West coast such as DKR, CMN, ACC, LOS nonstop. Is some demand to fill up a wide body trijet 2-4x per week on its way for EACH carrier? Had to check again. Heck, Air Zambia was flying to JFK for quite awhile in the 80's (except their government collapsed down the road). Egyptair, Royal Air Maroc, Pan Am were all doing transatlantics in the 80's without stopping in Europe. Of course not daily, but I think the time for this to occur on DOTNM2 is now upon us.  Sorry to be a nuisance but I really believe in this. Probably just to JFK/IAD at this point in the game and I think we should give it a go, please??? ;D

Online philkirk99

• Members
Re: Calling all carriers based in Africa on AWS, just checking but...
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 06:41:52 PM »
I was born and brought up in Casablanca and know that Royal Air Maroc had a 2xweekly B747 service to New York which continued to Montreal and then a weekly service on a Saturday to each destination on it's own. I agree about having a better pax figure demand for African flights. For example, I know that in the 80's. British Caledonian had a B747 specifically operating on the LGW-LOS route with 52 First class seats in it and the first class cabin was virtually full every day !!! I understand that the game cannot be totally historically correct with everything but I believe African carriers (especially West African), have a hard time. In the 80's, Air Afrique was running a large network of flights into France from places such as DKR.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:45:41 PM »
Let's hope that city based demand helps large capitol cities in Africa like Khartoum and Lagos, as well as the recreational ones like Dar Es Salaam... I think this is the solution for your guys problems. Especially with demand between former colonies, etc.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:10:08 PM »
Yes it is really time that demand was raised to transatlantic levels for all large African cities. At this point I should be able to fill a couple of 747's a week to JFK and YYZ if not widebody trijets. Right now the demand from CMN to JFK is 90 people per day. At this point in the game it should triple that by now. Same for DKR, LOS, NBO among others. Africa is really getting ignored here. >:(

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 06:11:52 PM »
Let's hope that city based demand helps large capitol cities in Africa like Khartoum and Lagos, as well as the recreational ones like Dar Es Salaam... I think this is the solution for your guys problems. Especially with demand between former colonies, etc.
West Africa is a big one too. Especially DKR, CMN, and LOS. Even ACC, and ABJ for that matter once or twice a week.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:10:11 AM »
Yes it is really time that demand was raised to transatlantic levels for all large African cities. At this point I should be able to fill a couple of 747's a week to JFK and YYZ if not widebody trijets. Right now the demand from CMN to JFK is 90 people per day. At this point in the game it should triple that by now. Same for DKR, LOS, NBO among others. Africa is really getting ignored here. >:(

90 people per day is 630 per week. A couple of 747s per week is 650 per week. Seems it's about right.

To fill 2 747s a week, you need demand to be made triple what it should be, allowing you to instead fill a daily 747, or you need the gameplay mechanics drastically changed to allow unfilled demand from one day to carryover to the rest of the week.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 11:05:15 PM »
90 people per day is 630 per week. A couple of 747s per week is 650 per week. Seems it's about right.

To fill 2 747s a week, you need demand to be made triple what it should be, allowing you to instead fill a daily 747, or you need the gameplay mechanics drastically changed to allow unfilled demand from one day to carryover to the rest of the week.
I have been warned this strategy will not work and the other days will not carry over. The demand actually needs to be changed with in the game from I've heard.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 02:34:54 AM »
Manually tripling the demand on a few selected routes just because there's someone who wants to fly two jumbos a week doesn't make sense. Particularly when tripling the demand means they'll be able to fly a jumbo a day on the route. If you want to fly 2 jumbos a week on a route because that's what there was IRL, then you need to wait for the demand model to be changed from being strictly daily. You could also add to your 737 fleet with some fitted out for max range, and use a tech stop in Bermuda. Fuel's cheap, there's heaps of 50-90 seat routes to all parts of North America, so they might even turn a profit while those routes grow over the next 12 years. Be an interesting experiment.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Manually tripling the demand on a few selected routes just because there's someone who wants to fly two jumbos a week doesn't make sense. Particularly when tripling the demand means they'll be able to fly a jumbo a day on the route. If you want to fly 2 jumbos a week on a route because that's what there was IRL, then you need to wait for the demand model to be changed from being strictly daily. You could also add to your 737 fleet with some fitted out for max range, and use a tech stop in Bermuda. Fuel's cheap, there's heaps of 50-90 seat routes to all parts of North America, so they might even turn a profit while those routes grow over the next 12 years. Be an interesting experiment.
Hmmm...I could give it try. My airline has a lot of cash and a few assets, no loans out. Lets try and see what happens. (Just remember by this time in the real world they had full wide bodies galore, considering the destinations by this time. )  :-\
And yes I know we are only mimicking and not everything is at was in the real world.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 10:02:11 PM »
Well nothing in that aircraft category that would make it to BDA. I'll just sit tight and hopefully AWS will catch up.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 05:26:02 AM »
A 737 will make it to BDA, just not with a full set of seats. But an airport like CYYT/YYT is only 2100 nm away, and will reach everything but the west coast. Fly through CYYG/YYG, and you can even reach LAX with your longest leg being 2616 nm. A 737-500 will do 2610 nm with 120 seats. Change the seating to 102/15, and now you can reach every US airport not in Alaska or Hawaii without seats being lost. Heaps of 50 seat routes there. You'll only have LF of 40-60%, but that will steadily increase over the next 12 years of gametime, and 40-60% should still turn some profit. It'd be a risky expansion plan, but I'd probably still be doing it, particularly if there were lots of shorter routes to Europe, North Africa, Turkey & the middle east put on a 7 day schedule, and particularly if I needed to upgrade a dozen old 727 & 737-200s anyway.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »
A 737 will make it to BDA, just not with a full set of seats. But an airport like CYYT/YYT is only 2100 nm away, and will reach everything but the west coast. Fly through CYYG/YYG, and you can even reach LAX with your longest leg being 2616 nm. A 737-500 will do 2610 nm with 120 seats. Change the seating to 102/15, and now you can reach every US airport not in Alaska or Hawaii without seats being lost. Heaps of 50 seat routes there. You'll only have LF of 40-60%, but that will steadily increase over the next 12 years of gametime, and 40-60% should still turn some profit. It'd be a risky expansion plan, but I'd probably still be doing it, particularly if there were lots of shorter routes to Europe, North Africa, Turkey & the middle east put on a 7 day schedule, and particularly if I needed to upgrade a dozen old 727 & 737-200s anyway.
So do you think an all premium Y layout would work? OR C and PY?

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 07:09:47 PM »
Why use all Y? One C seat = 3 Y seats for revenue, and all the USA routes have a little bit of C demand. Why remove the chance to sell those seats?

If I had your airline, I'd be replacing the old 727/737-200s with 737-400/500/600. They'll fly almost all your routes to Europe, Middle East, Turkey, North Africa, and plenty of those have C demand. They'll also fly the LH routes to the USA. Work out a 7 day schedule, get 7 planes to fill it. Rinse & repeat, take over the world. As long as you can get hold of the planes, you probably won't need a 2nd fleet group, so lots of money saved on maintenance/commonality once you've changed over.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:24:32 PM »
Why use all Y? One C seat = 3 Y seats for revenue, and all the USA routes have a little bit of C demand. Why remove the chance to sell those seats?

If I had your airline, I'd be replacing the old 727/737-200s with 737-400/500/600. They'll fly almost all your routes to Europe, Middle East, Turkey, North Africa, and plenty of those have C demand. They'll also fly the LH routes to the USA. Work out a 7 day schedule, get 7 planes to fill it. Rinse & repeat, take over the world. As long as you can get hold of the planes, you probably won't need a 2nd fleet group, so lots of money saved on maintenance/commonality once you've changed over.
I did it! Flying a 737-500 via YYT 6 times a week. I will be converting the plane to 114Y/5C as I see JFK has a bit of demand for C class. Lets see what happens!

Online spiff23

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 05:21:36 AM »
since I have to assume that it would be a nightmare to program something that allows you to run 2/3 flights a week and soak up demand...especially since I think there's a built in control now so you get penalized for flying more than double the seats (still exist?)...maybe a solution for Africa and some of the other locations where daily service is impractical is to do some type of programmed assignment where demand on a route like Dakar-JFK spikes to 200 on MWF but is 50 on TuThSaSu...or where Dakar-Doula goes to 120 on W, but is 20 on all the other days.  It would add a challenge element in trying to figure out how to set up the schedule; while at the same time mirroring much of the developing world where flights to/from and within are often on 2-4x a week frequencies.  A 1980s/90s schedule of BCal is full of 1-3x a week flights to all sorts of places in Africa from London (Malawai, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, etc. etc.) 

Not to change continents but same might apply to parts of Asia and South America.  For example, there are several carriers that fly to places like Katmandu, Calcutta, Chennai, etc. from Europe; but this is impossible in any year in AWS.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.