Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: kinda noob question  (Read 963 times)

• Former member
kinda noob question
« on: July 20, 2011, 08:51:40 PM »

im back after a long time away from the game and alot of things have changed

i joined late so im trying out a small regional airline filling the void on the 50 -60 pax routes till a new game starts 
and learning the ropes again

I have one question on the old style 2 legged flights
in old game i played i used to do say Dublin to Manchester and fill up there on pax then on 2 new york for example
i understand that has stopped now for my question

I have a number of routes i have spotted outside the range of my little fokkers so is a refueling worthwhile as no one
else is running these routes and how do i go about it ...cheers folks  for taking the time to read this 

El Nino airlines .... 

• Former member
Re: kinda noob question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:24:45 PM »
I would get an appropriate aircraft for what you propose. A little fleet UN-commonality will not hurt you. I personally wouldn't fly on a flight that operated in a that manner (on a Fokker with fuels stops). Get a 707 or a DC-8, add a few C Class seats for now and do your transatlantic if you can fill up the seats and your revenue would rise faster too. Just my take on that situation.
Don't try to do this by refueling planes that weren't designed for such routes. :)
P.S. I am assuming your trying to go transatlantic if I read this right. If the routes are all on your own continent, then yes, a refueling stop is one way to do it. Or get an appropriate aircraft to fly the route nonstop. As I mentioned having 2 types is really not going to make much of a difference. Fleet commonality is important, but having 2, even 3 types when you've been around a little while is not THAT hazardous.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:30:48 PM by L1011fan »

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:13:16 PM »
cheers for the advice i normally base myself in dublin but now im in the good old US of A so no trans alantic flights just coast to coast really
i have a Dc 9-50  and 3 fokkers didn't want to go to 3 diff types of aircraft as im running on tight margins as it is
should have went the fokker route from the start the routes im looking at are avg 1600 1700 NM and  pax cap is avg 50-60
no aircraft suits but a refuling stop on a fokker is bang on

im not trying to become a huge player in this world too late for that but more a steep learning curve back into the game
till a new world starts missed the start of TMW5 as was at a music festival all week long

cheers again for the advice   

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:14:52 AM »
this game world is barely 25% complete, I dont see how it could be considered to be too late to join.

I'll drop some advice in here once I get back to my computer, but in short, the smaller the plane the shorter the  route needs to be if you ever expect to cover your fixed costs. I wouldnt fuel stop anything smaller than a 727-200 in this scenario or a 757 in atb or mt

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 02:53:38 AM »
I'm not sure what the demand out of ELP looks like overall, but the distances that you have the F28s flying will be barely proftiable for you at the higher end of their range without a fuel stop. I also see you have routes flying between 0000 and 0500. Starting with 1.2, there's a pretty significant penalty if you're taking off and landing in that time zone.

With regards to your DC9, unfortunatly, the MD-81s are bigger and have better economics at about the same lease price. If you watch the market they're usually pretty easy to pick up. If you're flying 1500nm, you want at least room for 150 pax.

So, I took a quick look at demand to the top 10 US cities, and it really isn't all that great. If you can build up enough to open a base elsewhere, thats certainly possible, but overall, I think you'll have a tough time with the demand level there.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.