Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: A320NEO etc.  (Read 2652 times)

flightsimer

• Former member
Re: A320NEO etc.
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 08:01:08 AM »
(There's no such aircraft as "re-engined 737" even at the drawing board yet. Even though AA signed a letter of intent for that.)

So you think AA seriously bought 100 paper airplanes? The re-engined 737 has been worked on since before the NEO was officially launched by Airbus. Its continuously been worked on, but has been on the back burner because Boeing really was looking into a new plane. Only recently did they announce that they could do a 737RE without having to majorly change the 737 and this is the reason that were able to finally offer the basic plane to AA as a part of the deal.

They wouldnt remotely offer an aircraft to an airline if they didnt even know a basic configuration for the plane. It is expected that the Boeing board will approve Offer For Sale this fall. They cant design a plane in a mere 3 months time.

flightsimer

• Former member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 08:04:49 AM »
It could be if Curse and I find data on it
1% reduction in fuel flow over current -7B.

Another 1% reduction is coming from further aerodynamic improvements to the frame.

The first -7BE engined 737 was just delivered last week.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 08:28:51 AM »
So you think AA seriously bought 100 paper airplanes?

Yes. Or what I mean that naturally they have planned and investigated it for a time, but I would be surprised if they have anything concrete ready yet (comparable to what A has) since they cannot just simply strap a new high bypass fan under 737 since it simply does not fit due to low ground clearance - or at least that has been the consensus...

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 10:02:14 AM »
Indeed, Boeing has chosen to re-engine the 737. But there're no specs for it yet at all. AA, in a way "ordered the right to order" such plane, but they don't even know what can come out of it.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »
Yes. Or what I mean that naturally they have planned and investigated it for a time, but I would be surprised if they have anything concrete ready yet (comparable to what A has) since they cannot just simply strap a new high bypass fan under 737 since it simply does not fit due to low ground clearance - or at least that has been the consensus...

So you are saying that if there is going to be a 737 generation 4, it will have to be a bit wider in order to have the room for what is needed to make it taller (Like landing gear and the new engines themselves, for instance).  

And if you want to talk about low ground clearance, look at the MD90.  I wonder how many of them have scraped tails.   Good thing their engines are on the empennage.

flightsimer

• Former member
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »

ok, thats where you are misinformed then. (that wasnt meant in a smart way if it sounded like i was being smart)

About 2-3week prior to the AA order, Boeing announced that they could fit the CFM- Leap X under the 737NG without having to do any major modifications. They also have said that with the smaller fan of 70in (smaller than standard leap X but a few inches larger than the current engine) they will still be able to achieve 12-14% fuel savings with just the engine alone. The 737 leap x will have a optimized design that will allow the decrease in fan size but retain the whole efficiency gain. From everything they have said, it appears that CFM will remain the sole supplier.

flightsimer

• Former member
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 08:44:24 PM »
Indeed, Boeing has chosen to re-engine the 737. But there're no specs for it yet at all. AA, in a way "ordered the right to order" such plane, but they don't even know what can come out of it.
there are also no specs for the NEO, just a projected decrease in fuel burn by 12-15%. AA still wouldnt commit to an order without any type of gaurantees.
So you are saying that if there is going to be a 737 generation 4, it will have to be a bit wider in order to have the room for what is needed to make it taller (Like landing gear and the new engines themselves, for instance). 
The 737 has already been raised a few inches from when the NG was made. The clearance needed to put a full size (76 or 78 inch i believe) Leap X or GTF engine under the wings was 8 inches. That increase was possible with simply moving the nose gear down 8 inches like airbus did with the A330F. It also would have had the blister to house the gear. However, to do that would still have been a lot.

As for tailstrikes, they dont happen very often, but every plane (even airbus') can have them. Thats a pilot issue though
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:01:15 PM by flightsimer »

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 12:16:08 AM »
The NEO has been oficially launched. The 737RE hasn't during the negotiations with AA, Boeing gave AMR a candy in order to get a deal. Now, they need to commit.

flightsimer

• Former member
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 08:49:28 AM »
The NEO has been oficially launched. The 737RE hasn't during the negotiations with AA, Boeing gave AMR a candy in order to get a deal. Now, they need to commit.
All the NEO has is the ability to be offered to the airlines. Its configuration is not firm as of now.

Offline MRFREAK

• Members
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 09:23:03 AM »
Let's just say, from this time to another THERE WILL BE NO NEOS!!

Offline mark320

• Members
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 09:13:19 AM »
Well considering some P/L Charts are not exactly accurate, i think we can use some poetic licence and have interpolate the Neo's P/l Chart.

regards,

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.