Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Got Bored, trying to build a Micro airline  (Read 2684 times)

Offline JMsoo

• Members
Re: Got Bored, trying to build a Micro airline
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 04:46:10 PM »
Basically is the second game year where I'm not touching my Airline. I have a fleet of 6 CRJ that include 100/200 and 700 plus one Airbus a321 from where I'm based I have basically monopoly plus load factor at an average of 83%+ and more optimal ticket price.

As it is impossible to find a used Airbus and or Boeing, Utopia lease one as now I don't have any money plus I must wait decades for the delivery I choose CRJ ok they have a capacity of 52 seats but cheap maintenance, good starting point I think, at the really beginning I manage to lease more and more and earning slowly money and within few months I could start to lease CRJ 1900 80 seat and keep growing my airlines but its seems to be impossible as now I pay more and more fees and so far my ticket income can't cover it my usual balance now being jumping from -100k to +50k never more. It is also impossible also the plan to repay early the loan and yeah get a new one!

I was reading other post where they writing that with regional jet you can't make money and yes is true, because at the beginning with the same fleet I had a really good margin but the increase airport fees and so on just kill your airline!!

so now I don't know what to do? I'm operating from an airport with basically no competition, a part for my airbus a321 (which it make lots of money) I have a fleet with the same family of aircraft where  most of them quite yung with really cheap maintenance 83%+ load factor maximising their uses and I'm not making profit!

I think my condition are ideal for grow but something is missing! yeah No Airbus No party!

have fun

Jivan
African Airline International...Your Place on Sky...

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 06:41:05 PM »
Knock knock Finland... Anyone home?

We never had a reply on this matter yet many topics do cover this pain.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 07:22:01 PM »
swiftus has made extensive small airline test in the past and I have that data available when I am starting to make the changes related to it. Basically handling/pax fees and staff costs to be changed.

Offline JMsoo

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »
Should I consider my business a dead man walking?  :D

I will wait till I can get a new loan but in 2007 maybe so far coz yes still jumping from - to + up and down is just frustrating when you see major airlines orthering 20+ Airbus in a row  :'(

African Airline International...Your Place on Sky...

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 10:42:32 PM »
swiftus has made extensive small airline test in the past and I have that data available when I am starting to make the changes related to it. Basically handling/pax fees and staff costs to be changed.

I look forward to the airline I will make in Anchorage Alaska one day.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 10:50:35 PM »
I look forward to the airline I will make in Anchorage Alaska one day.

Sorted when cargo's implemented.

Keep some DC-3s in the air in modern times, Ice Pilots style.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 11:43:51 PM »
Sorted when cargo's implemented.

Keep some DC-3s in the air in modern times, Ice Pilots style.

A C check would cost more than the plane.

flightsimer

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 01:15:54 AM »
A C check would cost more than the plane.
Its tricky. Im training to become part of a crew member on a C-123K and we do all the maintenance on it ourselves. All the carriers that fly these old propliners do the maintenance themselves as well, meaning they are only paying for labor and parts with no mark-up. For example, a rebuilt R-2800 is going to cost about 50-60k. An entire cylinder (and associated parts) for one of these engines is around $1000-1500. We paid 1200 for a complete cylinder assembly last week after we had a cylinder head crack on us coming back from a show. We have had to replace one engine once in the nearly 20 years we have operated the plane. Our last cylinder change was over 2 years ago as well. Now granted, we an air show bird, so we dont fly that often, but for the most part they are really reliable and dont cost that much to maintain.

However, for the ice pilots for example, there is no plane that can replace their DC-6s, C-46s or DC-3s. And they obviously are still making money with them even through all the expenses or else they wouldnt have been able to purchase 2 L-188s and I believe I read they just got a third or have a third one coming.

This is deffinately an area where the system would have to be modified so its not just so cut and paste for every airline type.

Just as the old saying goes, the only replacement for a DC-3 is another DC-3

I too think it would be awesome to run a bush airline.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:18:22 AM by flightsimer »

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 01:51:44 AM »
reading this thread it appears that 'bug' = impatience?

In my opinion the number one reason for b/k is -
Impatience leads to grabbing the first plane(s) you can that 'seems to be OK' rather than waiting for the correct plane...grow fast at any expense and crash faster? ** I have B/K many times by using this approach **

For sure there is a benefit in being online more often to grab the 'right planes' when they pop-up, but its definitely not a guarantee, as you may be the person that just logged on and couldn't believe your luck when you got the Airbus xxx

Changing the used plane market to an auction system will see the already established players outbidding the newer players...while the new players wait around like seagulls for the established players to upgrade their original planes.

The game Monopoly has been around for ages and I have played many games, but I am yet to build a motel on Mayfair within the first round of the game board....yet no-one asks for the rules to be changed.
When you play a game of Monopoly you have a strategy (or game plan) you know that you will need time and patience to apply your strategy if you want to win....and yes .....you have luck in the form of 'roll of the dice' so no different than the luck of the 'used aircraft market' ......unfair???
Perhaps new Monopoly players should only have dice with '6' on all six sides...to give them a helping hand?

Regards Darryl

hybris

• Former member
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 02:25:34 AM »
As I said many times. Staff levels should be "seat" based not "number of plane" based.

I ran an EMB120 airline out of Lyon once and it was great to do. (but it still had ABCBA). What killed my airline were ridiculous slot costs and extreme high staff volumes (1 staff member on 10 pax)

Sami needs to fix this to keep the game enjoyable for those who get bored operating big boys over and over again.

I'm agree, I'm having the same problem for the staff. My "small" company is having profit, but part of its is eaten by a simple basic marketing campaign and above all by staff costs. So I can permit other SMALL aircraft slowly. But I will be in your same situation when I will have the same number of aircrafts.
---
Eleritz, you're right to give suggests to others, but I think to be good in this scenario is relative. You're right, no fleet mistake. But, I decided to declare bankrupt before, also because I had to wait 3 years for the fleet I choosed (you are waiting 37 aircraft of this fleet). I'll repeat it again, I think there's a strong component of "first come, first serve".

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 02:42:49 AM »
alot of these changes are coming.  be patient.  there were many more pressing matters that he had to attend to with 1.3.  This is now becoming more of a 'front burner' issue.  I REALLY have been looking forward to moving freight/bush piloting in Africa or maybe Alaska.  It will be great to deliver foodstuffs to outlying cities.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.