Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: The slot thingy  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Daveos

• Members
Re: The slot thingy
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 08:28:44 PM »
The new slot system is an excellent way of slowing things down and I think it's a great move.  In many previous worlds, players would have double figures of medium/large aircraft on order by now, but now things have to be budgeted much more carefully as C-checks etc come around.  I can imagine many players skipping C-checks because they've splashed out on slots and suffering with hits on their CI.

Slowing growth early on has been a problem in every world and it keeps things exciting and interesting for longer.

From looking around it also seems to allows players at smaller hubs to build up their own little empire, adding routes more quickly than the those at the larger bases.

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
The new slot system is an excellent way of slowing things down and I think it's a great move.  In many previous worlds, players would have double figures of medium/large aircraft on order by now, but now things have to be budgeted much more carefully as C-checks etc come around.  I can imagine many players skipping C-checks because they've splashed out on slots and suffering with hits on their CI.

Slowing growth early on has been a problem in every world and it keeps things exciting and interesting for longer.

From looking around it also seems to allows players at smaller hubs to build up their own little empire, adding routes more quickly than the those at the larger bases.

+1 . Look at me  ;D

Online [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 09:07:16 PM »
Look at you ? ;) you got only 2 planes ?

AydiAir

• Former member
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 09:29:46 PM »

It's worked a treat for me! ;)

Not looking forward to those C checks though, I'll need to start saving up.

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 09:51:37 PM »
Look at you ? ;) you got only 2 planes ?

hey theres more coming!  ;D

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 10:38:03 PM »

Yup.  +1 from me as well....

Without the high slot costs I am paying (at ORD etc), I would have at least 2x aircraft at this time....

Online [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 11:12:59 PM »
Yeah +1 it is surely better than before.

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 04:51:42 AM »
Opening a route from Beijing cost me $750k.
Opening 2 routes from Orlando cost me $29k.

Orlando can handle more than 4 times departures per hour than Beijing. Both are large airports, accepting flights 24 hours a day. And the only thing that Beijing win over Orlando is pax demand but the difference is small.

So, what is the logic behind the slot pricing formula? It makes life much much easier at Orlando than Beijing.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 06:34:54 AM »
Pek has less slots available or you used peak rush hour time. Slot price reasons are shown on route open/edit page, hover over info icon.

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 07:47:35 AM »
Pek has less slots available or you used peak rush hour time. Slot price reasons are shown on route open/edit page, hover over info icon.

I know that. Less slots available, expensive. But under this condition, as I said, it makes the game a lot easier if I choose to base at big airports in USA. And I think this is the reason why people likes to squeeze themselves at top airports instead of trying luck at other airports. More slots available is already good enough for a player to expand fast and the cheap price due to many slots available is just perfect for us to lead the game. It is totally different at PEK where the slots is already limited making us hard to expand (especially the airport has a lot of domestic demand) plus the extreme high price further restrict our expansion. This generally meaning airlines based at US or big airports having more slots will win the game. Shall we have something to balance it out?

DanDantes

• Former member
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 08:00:06 AM »
Slot reduction?

It's a slot increase - it stars with ~50% slots compared to what it used to, and ends with ~150% what it used to...

this is to better adapt to the expansion of airlines.

I agree, its better the it used to be. Now u really have to plan, save, then save some more and then buy the right slots.
Dan

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 08:21:06 AM »
I agree, its better the it used to be. Now u really have to plan, save, then save some more and then buy the right slots.
Dan

While we are planning and saving for the right slots, someone might just simply grab whatever slots available. He might not have the best planned routes but you still can't expand due to no available slots.

Offline type45

• Members
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2011, 09:01:27 AM »
I know that. Less slots available, expensive. But under this condition, as I said, it makes the game a lot easier if I choose to base at big airports in USA. And I think this is the reason why people likes to squeeze themselves at top airports instead of trying luck at other airports. More slots available is already good enough for a player to expand fast and the cheap price due to many slots available is just perfect for us to lead the game. It is totally different at PEK where the slots is already limited making us hard to expand (especially the airport has a lot of domestic demand) plus the extreme high price further restrict our expansion. This generally meaning airlines based at US or big airports having more slots will win the game. Shall we have something to balance it out?

I think this is something like "real vs game play", in reality PEK DOES have limited slots......if this kind of situation is needed to be removed, maybe we should build a world that every big airport is copied from LHR/JFK so that everybody can build the same kind of airlines ;)

btw slot supply in real world is affected by a lot of factor, from runway, air space, terrain to regulation (FAA vs ICAO), not only demand......

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2011, 09:33:58 AM »
While we are planning and saving for the right slots, someone might just simply grab whatever slots available. He might not have the best planned routes but you still can't expand due to no available slots.

How this one can have money and you not?

And in all honest, my friend. What happened? You were one of the top WorldLink players in at least two gameworlds and this is, sorry to be harsh, the total opposite of what you say since you are back. :/ So don't complain and rule the airport - as always :)

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 10:37:26 AM »
How this one can have money and you not?

And in all honest, my friend. What happened? You were one of the top WorldLink players in at least two gameworlds and this is, sorry to be harsh, the total opposite of what you say since you are back. :/ So don't complain and rule the airport - as always :)

I mean not because of money to buy the slots only. It is like players with different styles which 1 party would like to spend the slots wisely while the other party just wish to grab whatever slots available to restrict his competitor. He don't care how big he can grow with his route planning but he just want to stop you from developing. And he can do this by starting with routes to small airports which do not charge high fees for slots.

Of course I can do the same thing, flying to small airports which most of them need $0 for a slot but I don't want to run an airline with 100 ATR at a big airports and leave all big routes without supplying seats. The slot fees difference is too huge. Let say I want to create a route from PEK to SHA, it cost me ($400k + $330k) but if I fly PEK to HET it only cost ($400k + $0). You can see this clearly at PEK now as all the airlines focus only on those small unpopular airports and they just started to build routes to the main airports now.

• Members
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 10:57:34 AM »
Slots won't run out fast in this game world :) They seem limited sometimes but airports grow fast.

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 11:12:04 AM »
Ya, everyone says it will grow to 150% till the end of the game. But still I found it better to restart at Orlando and shifted there ;D

• Members
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 12:08:44 PM »
Most of these people have played DotM#2 where slots were very rare (60% start, up to 200% later) at start and now it's impossible to use all of them. It's also not possible to "close" airports like Haneda or Heathrow with endless props.

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 01:24:01 PM »
Opening a route from Beijing cost me $750k.
Opening 2 routes from Orlando cost me $29k.

Orlando can handle more than 4 times departures per hour than Beijing. Both are large airports, accepting flights 24 hours a day. And the only thing that Beijing win over Orlando is pax demand but the difference is small.

So, what is the logic behind the slot pricing formula? It makes life much much easier at Orlando than Beijing.

The first slots are really cheap.  You get a new airline discount, and also new business at the airport (or whatever it is called) discount.  Wait until you have 100s of slots.  The prices will get close to PEK prices....

Offline michael

• Members
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2011, 10:58:22 AM »
Just scheduled an A321 four times a day, total cost was 6.1 Million. I have an A340 that needs scheduling, but I need to leave it for a while and recover from the A321 scheduling  ;)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.