Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: The slot thingy  (Read 3408 times)

jumbo Mouse

• Former member
The slot thingy
« on: July 11, 2011, 02:55:38 AM »
Hello

Does anyone agree with me?, the slot deal has gone sour.! Yes in the past slots where cheap and hoarded easily to dominate an airport.  I was guilty and had many F27 s and eventually owned most of the slots, but this has changed not 1 fold but unfortunatly 2 fold.

Either, the slot prices are increased drastically (like they have), making it unviable and costly to get a few F27 s to hoard, or reduce the number of slots available, but for heavens sake dont do Both.  Just the price hike was enough to curb the slot grabbing, but the slot reduction and slow growth has compounded the problem 2 fold.  I know the slots grow gradually, but there is no need to have both restrictions implented, it kills the game, either big price hike or reduced slots, not both.

EDDF with 23 flts slots per hour in 2000 s, thats crazy!!

Sami please choose either price hike or limited capacity, not both.........tkx

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
Re: The slot thingy
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 03:18:24 AM »
Slot reduction?

It's a slot increase - it stars with ~50% slots compared to what it used to, and ends with ~150% what it used to...

this is to better adapt to the expansion of airlines.
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 04:42:33 AM »
Slot reduction?

It's a slot increase - it stars with ~50% slots compared to what it used to, and ends with ~150% what it used to...

this is to better adapt to the expansion of airlines.

The 50% reduction at the beginning seems like a bit too much.  Some 3 to 4 weeks into the game, when most players have 1 or 2 aircraft, LHR already has 73.18% slot used up...

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 04:44:11 AM »
The 50% reduction at the beginning seems like a bit too much.  Some 3 to 4 weeks into the game, when most players have 1 or 2 aircraft, LHR already has 73.18% slot used up...

Good, this is the idea ;)

Slows rampant growth of airlines early...
Editor of AeroBlogger

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:04:59 AM »
please choose either price hike or limited capacity, not both.........tkx

Please read the 'changelog' of v.1.3 to understand what's this about and how it works...

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 12:25:52 AM »
I get what you're trying to do Sami, really, I read the changelog and agreed with it. But in practice its a little bit weird. I have the ability to run another plane and grow, and its ordered. Except, the slot prices are SO exorbitant out of my hub (YUL) that I may actually be better off letting the plane sit on the ground rather than try to fly it. If I buy the slots needed to fill the planes hours, I'll find myself in the neg and its too risky to do that at this point in the game. That can't have been the point of the modifications.

Thoughts?

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 12:58:24 AM »
Am I the only person who has never had slot problems ın eıther MT5 or DOTM2 even beıng based ın top 50 aırport?
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 01:03:01 AM »
I get what you're trying to do Sami, really, I read the changelog and agreed with it. But in practice its a little bit weird. I have the ability to run another plane and grow, and its ordered. Except, the slot prices are SO exorbitant out of my hub (YUL) that I may actually be better off letting the plane sit on the ground rather than try to fly it. If I buy the slots needed to fill the planes hours, I'll find myself in the neg and its too risky to do that at this point in the game. That can't have been the point of the modifications.

Thoughts?

why lease the plane if you can't afford to pay the initial lease cost and the costs to schedule it?

Offline [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 01:06:47 AM »

Thoughts?

If you don't can afford the plane, and cost for the slots, then don't lease the plane ?

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
Ha Ha Ha...I was making the point that the costs for slots are so high that its really radically altering game dynamics (I've scheduled and am flying the plane, thank you very much, I'm not a complete idiot).

I think what jumbo and I are saying is that its gotta be one or the other - tighter slot limiting or higher pricing. Because right now its not just making it hard to slot hog, its also constraining growth.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 12:05:25 PM »
I think what jumbo and I are saying is that its gotta be one or the other - tighter slot limiting or higher pricing. Because right now its not just making it hard to slot hog, its also constraining growth.

I find this to be amazing.  Finally, we delay the mid game where most people quit just because they are bored.

Offline cutchie

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 12:30:03 PM »
Ha Ha Ha...I was making the point that the costs for slots are so high that its really radically altering game dynamics (I've scheduled and am flying the plane, thank you very much, I'm not a complete idiot).

That's a good thing IMHO. I've had more fun at the start of this world than in any other; the period where the market is wide open and anyone could come out on top has been prolonged and it's a lot more exciting!

AydiAir

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 01:00:51 PM »
That's a good thing IMHO. I've had more fun at the start of this world than in any other; the period where the market is wide open and anyone could come out on top has been prolonged and it's a lot more exciting!

I have to agree, it's really exciting to see that some major routes are still untouched! Slowing down the pace at which we can acquire routes makes this stage of the game longer, which is better imho.

cht7520

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 01:12:21 PM »
Am I the only person who has never had slot problems ın eıther MT5 or DOTM2 even beıng based ın top 50 aırport?

Same here

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »
Don't get me wrong guys, I'm having fun. And I totally agree that this is keeping some players (the you-know-whos) from running away with massive leads off the top. So cool with that.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I am hoping the pace picks up just a teensy bit...

Meh, or maybe I just chose a bad base city  ;D

---------------------------------------------------

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 03:39:55 PM »
Same here
You guys were based at the same airport  :P

not a fair comparison
Editor of AeroBlogger

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 04:49:55 PM »
Same here

I am at BOM in DOTM 2 and less than half the slots are used. Even the 500 and 2300 hours still have 20+ slots open. In MT5, however, PEK is just about maxed out between 0500-2355. Several hours are out of slots and about 8 or so more have 1 or 2 slot sets left.

Don
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 07:14:56 PM »
You guys were based at the same airport  :P

not a fair comparison

Well surely the fact that there was an abundance of slots even with two competing airlines shows this point. Very good comparison I'd say.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline type45

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 07:56:02 PM »
I am at BOM in DOTM 2 and less than half the slots are used. Even the 500 and 2300 hours still have 20+ slots open. In MT5, however, PEK is just about maxed out between 0500-2355. Several hours are out of slots and about 8 or so more have 1 or 2 slot sets left.

Don

Airport slots in China is always a problem in real life - and in AWS too :P Even with strong political support, those Taiwanese airlines still failed in getting more "normal (compare with those  red eye)" slots at PVG, SHA and PEK for their additional direct flights between PRC and ROC, when Chinese carriers use their own slots at good time to do this. It also happened in the past AWS game worlds. I think the very first thing in PEK is to get as many slots as you can and make your competitors running out of room for development......

btw this situation is not limited to those big cities, but also many regional hubs. Last year I had jump-seat ride on a Dragonair flight from HKG to KMG. The planes are just like an endless stream and there is only 1 runway to handle them. On the return flight we get a gate hold for 20 mins (because we are English-using flight during domestic rush hours ;) ), spending another 20 mins on taxiway and waiting for departure. It just feel like going back to Kai Tak, and remember this is a domestic hub only......

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.