Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Player #s  (Read 1803 times)

Monk Xion

• Former member
Player #s
« on: July 09, 2011, 03:17:06 PM »
410 Players in the game so far  :o

Idk its gunna be a huge blood bath... I may switch bases so I wont have to deal with a lot of competition....

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Player #s
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 03:20:25 PM »
410 players and yet I still joined to an airport with NO other airline flying to it or based at it, and dozens of routes with demands exceeding 200 pax/day.  ;D

In other words; the global pax demands etc could easily support even 1000(+) players. But since everybody is just looking at JFK, ATL, LHR etc, the number has to be a bit lower.

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »
410 players and yet I still joined to an airport with NO other airline flying to it or based at it, and dozens of routes with demands exceeding 200 pax/day.  ;D

In other words; the global pax demands etc could easily support even 1000(+) players. But since everybody is just looking at JFK, ATL, LHR etc, the number has to be a bit lower.

Thats true. Im in San Juan and people are setting up routes like crazy to me. But i do have some secret weapon airports  ;D

Ansettaddict123

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 03:38:05 PM »

Just had to choose that base didnt you :P

i call unfair competition to my expansion plans  :laugh:

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »
ok found a base with huge domestic demand and some SH Intl demand. Only airline flying there  ;DI cant tell u where it is tho.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »

Some players just want to live dangerously.  1 in 7 chance of survival at a huge airport, assuming all players have equal skill...  Usually these airport have at least 1 of the top 10 or 20 AWS player, meaning the chance of survival of an average player goes down to perhaps 1 in 50....

I noticed that after Dantes based in LHR, only 1 other airline based there after him.  Only 4 airlines so far at LHR...

Offline oggie84

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 07:21:42 PM »
Some players just want to live dangerously.  1 in 7 chance of survival at a huge airport, assuming all players have equal skill...  Usually these airport have at least 1 of the top 10 or 20 AWS player, meaning the chance of survival of an average player goes down to perhaps 1 in 50....

I noticed that after Dantes based in LHR, only 1 other airline based there after him.  Only 4 airlines so far at LHR...

Maybe we should all change our names to DanDantes  ;)

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 07:28:30 PM »
Maybe we should all change our names to DanDantes  ;)

Haha maybe :laugh:

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 07:49:25 PM »

It seems the overal attractivness of LHR has extremely decreased. In DotM#2 there was no serious airline for the first two years and now there's only one serious airline and nobody else is really trying.

I think sami's anti-slot-hogging actions are the cause for this, not to mention "new" and "unexperienced" players always failed there hard.

And, honestly, it's possible to say now which airlines would most possibly survive and which airlines will fail soon... 24h ftw :)

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »
It seems the overal attractivness of LHR has extremely decreased. In DotM#2 there was no serious airline for the first two years and now there's only one serious airline and nobody else is really trying.

I think sami's anti-slot-hogging actions are the cause for this, not to mention "new" and "unexperienced" players always failed there hard.

And, honestly, it's possible to say now which airlines would most possibly survive and which airlines will fail soon... 24h ftw :)

+1 here. Im just curious as to how long it takes before somebody realizes I'm making a dent in PBI...

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 08:00:58 PM »
+1 here. Im just curious as to how long it takes before somebody realizes I'm making a dent in PBI...

Is there a special reason why you don't max out one route before adding another? Or why you fly this far away in general?

I'm just curious.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 08:01:42 PM »

I have not really seen the new slot system in action, but my understanding is that in later part of the game, the slots go way up.  With LHR always being slot constrained (more passenger demand than the slots can accomodate) eventual increase of slots to 200% should make LHR more attractive, overall.

One other problem I saw with LHR was that it is next to impossible to run a competent competitor out of business (because his routes are protected by lack of slots).  With extra slots later on, it should be easier for the strongest LHR airline to run everone else out of business...

What am I missing?

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 08:05:12 PM »
Is there a special reason why you don't max out one route before adding another?

One reason I don't is because when you start with 0 RI, and you supply 100% of the demand, your LFs are going to grow only slowly.

When you, instead, supply 2 routes to 50%, you should start out with decent LFs right from the beginning....  Once the RI rises, I add aircraft to 100% without LF hit...

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
What am I missing?

- Only 150% of slots till end of the game.
- Starting with 60% slots and Test Game showed these slots will run out fast (in DotM slots haven't ran out fast, mainly because lack of good long-range aircraft in the first years)
- the competition thing you named
- business/first class only not possible anymore
- the curfew annoys lots of people, especially in 1.3 with the time system
- lowered f/c income in 1.3 on most attractive ranges out of LHR

Basically more disadvantages than advantages in my eyes. Not mentioned Heathrow is simply too easy while time consuming things like "organisation of slots", curfew etc. take much more time than at nearly every other big airport.

One reason I don't is because when you start with 0 RI, and you supply 100% of the demand, your LFs are going to grow only slowly.

When you, instead, supply 2 routes to 50%, you should start out with decent LFs right from the beginning....  Once the RI rises, I add aircraft to 100% without LF hit...

Basically the question was to Monk Xion... however, my experience is RI is ok with one destination, too. I'll send you a PM when first days are gone to clarify.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:08:19 PM by Curse »

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 08:23:53 PM »
Is there a special reason why you don't max out one route before adding another? Or why you fly this far away in general?

I'm just curious.

Im testing out strategy atm. ;D I may put both planes on only 1 route to max them out. When i began in the 1.3 beta, I used the  strategy of doing 2 destinations 2x daily and found it to work really well. I had 65% LF on each one... rising to 88%-90%.

Idk thats my experience with it. I do agree that maxing out 1 route is also good... but in my opinion it would work best with smaller a/c (not A300 size).

I def do think that flying multiple routes (i.e 3 or more destinations) 1x daily is not the best way to start your airline out at first.

And +1 to what Jumbo Shrimp said
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:26:16 PM by Monk Xion »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 09:37:34 PM »
- Only 150% of slots till end of the game.

Hmm.... I thought it went to 200%.  But 150% is still an improvement.

- Starting with 60% slots and Test Game showed these slots will run out fast (in DotM slots haven't ran out fast, mainly because lack of good long-range aircraft in the first years)

That's a good point, and you are competing with everyone trying to grab them, not just your LHR competitors...

- business/first class only not possible anymore

That has been there for some time in 1.2

- the curfew annoys lots of people, especially in 1.3 with the time system

The time system makes things harder.  Maybe I would not have gone for ORD if I knew that.  ORD is -1 hour vs. the East coast of the US, which already cuts down on red-eye flight opportunities.  With the preference for flights to be spread out, I can really have only 1 or 2 red eye flights to the same destination....  So keeping the aircraft busy at night will be extremely difficult.  East coast of the US (including ATL) will not be as severely affected as ORD.  You may have up to ~5 opportunities per destination to have red-eye flights (because of extra distance and extra hour difference between East and West coast).

- lowered f/c income in 1.3 on most attractive ranges out of LHR

Yup, I am seeing a bit of that under 1.3.  I am not sure what prompted the change....  Transatlantic flights used to be a gold mine.  They are still ok.  I will have to see how ULH flights will be affected.  They were somewhat challenging to begin with.  Subtracting extra revenue of C/F is going to make them even more challenging...

Basically more disadvantages than advantages in my eyes. Not mentioned Heathrow is simply too easy while time consuming things like "organisation of slots", curfew etc. take much more time than at nearly every other big airport.

Yup.  An extra reason to do 7 day schedules....

Basically the question was to Monk Xion... however, my experience is RI is ok with one destination, too. I'll send you a PM when first days are gone to clarify.

ok.

DanDantes

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 11:28:07 AM »
Haha maybe :laugh:

Ha ha  :P

Still, this is my first time in LHR so it will be interesting to see how my general strategy pan out. Have a good competitor based there so I expect a nice battle  ;D

Dan

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.