Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Settings should be account related, not gameworld related  (Read 400 times)

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
Settings should be account related, not gameworld related
« on: July 02, 2011, 05:17:19 PM »
Hello,

there are more and more settings the user can choose from - ICAO and IATA, turn-around-times for different aircraft etc.

This must be done for every gameworld and sometimes people simply forget.

So my idea is, all these settings can be done on a higher level - in detail;

The account related thing should be some kind of superior in rank than the gameworld related and it should be possible to edit all features, but players should be able to change things for some game worlds.

Example:

This page should be in a similar way account related. If I change something in this account related thing, for example my airline logo, the airline code as ICAO or turn-around-times for DC-8 and A350, these should be the standard settings for all my airlines in future game worlds.

But when I change in a specific gameworld via the currently available page anything, it should stay different for this one game world.
For example I have a different airline livery for Early game worlds (DC-6) than my standard livery (777) is. Or in some game worlds it's ok for me when turn-around-time is 4.4% while normally I prefer 1%. Or maybe I play one time out of North America and want imperial system while my standard setting is metric.

So in short - the general options account related give every gameworld a mask with my preferred settings but I'm able to change them in the game world - but only for this specific game world.

I know, not a big feature, but maybe it can be done with less coding or it gives an idea of some other cool thing :)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Settings should be account related, not gameworld related
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:30:14 PM »

This is technically built in now, but interface is not done, and not sure when it's done.

Works basically so that there are three levels of settings:

- AirwaySim default settings
- User's global preferences
- User's game world preferences

Practical example:
 - I go to profile and set "automatic staffing" to "disabled" (it is enabled by default, since AWS default settings has it so for everyone)

- I join a game world, and game world settings are then taken as a snapshot from "my global preferences". In this autostaff which normally would be ON, will be OFF, as that's your preference.

- When I later change autostaff back ON from "my global settings" the autostaff will still be OFF at the game world, since the game world settings are now separate. But autostaff will be by default ON for all new games you join.

- If you skip previous step (master setting is OFF), and change autostaff ON from "game world settings" (current settings page), the master setting will stay OFF but this game world will have the setting turned on.

..So only point of confusion is that when you edit your profile, the changes will not affect the running & existing game worlds. Although a separate function could be made for this too, but it may be confusing?

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:36:52 AM »
This is technically built in now, but interface is not done, and not sure when it's done.

Works basically so that there are three levels of settings:

- AirwaySim default settings
- User's global preferences
- User's game world preferences

Practical example:
 - I go to profile and set "automatic staffing" to "disabled" (it is enabled by default, since AWS default settings has it so for everyone)

- I join a game world, and game world settings are then taken as a snapshot from "my global preferences". In this autostaff which normally would be ON, will be OFF, as that's your preference.

- When I later change autostaff back ON from "my global settings" the autostaff will still be OFF at the game world, since the game world settings are now separate. But autostaff will be by default ON for all new games you join.

- If you skip previous step (master setting is OFF), and change autostaff ON from "game world settings" (current settings page), the master setting will stay OFF but this game world will have the setting turned on.

..So only point of confusion is that when you edit your profile, the changes will not affect the running & existing game worlds. Although a separate function could be made for this too, but it may be confusing?

Sounds like you need a button similar to aircraft maintenance.  You can add maintenance to the schedule and if an A/B check is expired, you can check the box to perform maintenance immediately.  A similar button could be used to apply settings to current game worlds.

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 04:12:16 AM »

At first, great news you could implement this so fast! And the way you described how things work it seems perfect.

Secondly about the quoted part; either take this as working as intended and spare out such a button or, to add to LemonButt's idea, make something like "reset all gameworlds to User's current global preferences" similar to "reset all routes to standard price".

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.