Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Streamlining  (Read 836 times)

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
Streamlining
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:01:39 PM »
Yo all.

I'm looking towards the streamlining of my fleet. Currently I use B727-200Adv and B737-200Adv for short haul and DC10s for long haul. I want to keep using the DC10 for the foreseeable future so want to replace and combine the B727 and B737 fleets. What is the best choice for this? I'm leaning toward the MD-81 to leave me with only two fleet groups for everything from the same builder.

And would adding a fourth fleet group to do this risk killing me?

Any other suggestions?

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
Re: Streamlining
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
BAC 1-11  :laugh:

(this was for you, Curse  ;))
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

Ilyushin

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:03:05 PM »
Try the Airbus A320-100, also for commonality with the upcoming -200 and other models in the 320 family.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:06:32 PM »
Depends on when you want to replace them all.

The M80's are in the middle of the two you're flying right now as far as capacity, and you'll get the 727-200Adv legs back with the M83 when it comes out. I much prefer the 757 for domestic hauls because of its versitility to do long and thin routes and it will accomodate your growth through the 90's.

If you don't need the legs of the 757, then the A320s can be a good pick and allow you to move up to the A321 later in the game.

It really depends on where you're based.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:07:10 PM »
Hi Dave. The A320 production queue is really short at the moment (compared to 737 and past game worlds). It might be a good alternative if you can afford to wait until the end of the decade to replenish your fleets (I am waiting until then to replace my factory new 727-200Advs with them). But that might be a problem if you are running mixed fleets of older, used aircraft.

If you need an immediately available plane then the MD81 is a good choice and I know of a few people using these to replace 737s and 727s. Just remember that although it looks nice on your airline page, there is no advantage running an all McDonnell Douglas airline. But keeping to two fleets is a good thing.

EDIT: Actually could you provide us a link to your airline please?  :)
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 06:11:20 PM »
http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Info/Airline/1839/

I know its small but the 727s are already costing me a fair bit now my C-Check season is coming. I've always thought that running the same manufacturer is good for costs. Surely two McDonnell Douglas fleets will be cheaper than two fleets, one Airbus and one McDD. And my 727s are not factory fresh, a decade wait will see them pushing 20 years.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 06:13:16 PM »
http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Info/Airline/1839/

I know its small but the 727s are already costing me a fair bit now my C-Check season is coming. I've always thought that running the same manufacturer is good for costs. Surely two McDonnell Douglas fleets will be cheaper than two fleets, one Airbus and one McDD. And my 727s are not factory fresh, a decade wait will see them pushing 20 years.

Thanks.

I would love that but this isn't programmed into the fleet commonality. Many people are calling for commonality discounts. But right now two fleets cost just the same no matter whether they are two Boeings or one Boeing and an Airbus, etc.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.