Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: What is the best aircraft to start off with ?  (Read 1231 times)

Winstonread

• Former member
What is the best aircraft to start off with ?
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »
i was wondering what is the best aircraft to start off with in the game to grow the airline as quick as possible. For me so far the DC-9 has been the best , i am a novice so was wondering what you pro's think?

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
Re: What is the best aircraft to start off with ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:10:43 AM »
DC-10, back when it was affordable.

Then A300, L1011, those kinds of planes.

For smaller ones, DC-9, BAC 1-11, Boeing 732.

Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »
There is no "best" aircraft (in such simple terms). It all depends on where you are located, what routes you intend to fly etc.

But the ones mentioned by Bob are safe choices.

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:19:16 AM »
Although the important thing is once you pick a fleet, STICK WITH IT. If you already have DC-9, don't add a 732, stay with DC-9. Fleet commonality is important.
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

Offline TranceAvia

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 06:00:26 AM »
agree with the above but the much ignored BAC 1-11 (especially the 475 and 500 varients) are fantastic aircraft. i'm running DC-9's based on their availabilities at the moment however...

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 01:39:36 PM »
agree with the above but the much ignored BAC 1-11 (especially the 475 and 500 varients) are fantastic aircraft. i'm running DC-9's based on their availabilities at the moment however...

While I would have preferred to start with the 1-11 in this game world, it uses medium pilots. My long term plans do not include the need for the pilots and I'd rather not have to fire them.  It would have done better for me than the DC9s that I chose to fly, but at least I don't have to take a CI hit...

Offline TranceAvia

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »
Thats a good point you raise. However my most successful game to date (the last version of this game) was built on the BAC 1-11 and it was the backbone of all the other types I added. It should not be over looked.

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 06:53:06 PM »
Thats a good point you raise. However my most successful game to date (the last version of this game) was built on the BAC 1-11 and it was the backbone of all the other types I added. It should not be over looked.

It depends a lot on the airport you start at; since frequency has a decisive impact on pax and load factors, the decision to fly an a/c below 100 seats can be crucial for competitive battles that may lay ahead. Even on a 400pax route, you can run the risk of quickly getting stuck with six/seven 732 when your competition opts to fly even higher frequency with smaller aircraft.
Cheers,
Denis

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »
It depends a lot on the airport you start at; since frequency has a decisive impact on pax and load factors, the decision to fly an a/c below 100 seats can be crucial for competitive battles that may lay ahead. Even on a 400pax route, you can run the risk of quickly getting stuck with six/seven 732 when your competition opts to fly even higher frequency with smaller aircraft.
Cheers,
Denis

1.3 has capped the frequency benefit at 5x daily, so it would be moot in your described example.

Either way, I honestly have not seen great evidence that the frequency bonus is really all that great. From what I can gather, it gives about a 10% load factor boost to the frequency hound at the expense of significantly higher costs per seat flown (in excess of the revenue generated by the additional loads)...

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 11:35:42 PM »
1.3 has capped the frequency benefit at 5x daily, so it would be moot in your described example.

Ok, I guess I haven't noticed that yet.
Cheers,
Denis

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.