Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Is DOTM the hardest world?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
Is DOTM the hardest world?
« on: June 15, 2011, 06:58:39 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is in agreement with me on this.

I have always found the DOTM game to be far far harder than JA and MT. JA it is pretty easy to survive at almost any airport as the likes of the C46 and DC3 make a 20 pax route totally profitable and the nice low fuel prices make profits nice and big. And in the MT world there is generally pretty big demand around so again, lots of routes are nice and juicy and profitable. An example would be me and Bristol, in a JA I managed to run a pretty massive and successful airline from BRS and a fairly competent one in the MT worlds. DOTM though, useless. DOTM always seems to have the lower pax numbers of JA but very high fuel consumption.

Only me or others?

Ghosty

• Former member
Re: Is DOTM the hardest world?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 07:14:38 PM »
Personally for me I found MT harder. I was based out of Lima, so it could have been me picking a bad base, but I do see what you mean about the routes and planes fitting well.
I'm currently operating out of Montevideo - Uruguay (MVD) in DOTM and I'm turning a relatively good profit, however because it is a size 3 airport my growth is much slower. Making the game more interesting not harder I feel. More interesting because you need to plan ahead much more and keep some money for the unexpected.  :)

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
Modern Time scenarios have the problem of lack of good aircraft for some routes.

There's no really good prop and no really good thin or big widebody and the narrowbodies offer only a small range of seats and range. And these "problems" last till mid or last third of the gameworld and some very useful aircraft like B777 normally aren't available long enough to replace a whole existing fleet.

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »
There's no really good prop...

ATR 72 and Dash -Q400?

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 07:30:17 PM »
Both appear after game world has reached 50% or, in case of Q400, 66,6%. As I said.

F27 is not a bad prop, too, but it's just average. It hasn't the range of the Q400 or Fokker 50, it's not fast as the Saab2k and not economic as the ATR and Fokker 50.

wapp11

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 02:15:33 AM »
In the past I have personally found the MT world to be hardest, JA the easiest, DOTM in the middle.  Not sure why.

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 02:22:26 AM »
I find DotM the easiest, JA the middle, and MT the hardest.

When fuel is at $1400, it's hard to say any other gameworld is harder.
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

Online ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 02:37:24 AM »
I have to agree with wapp. JA is a joke....fuel is $30 and the aircraft have capacities that fit with the time frame. The 70's and 80's brought along wide body aircraft that were too big for the demand at the time, but everyone ordered them because they didn't want to be left behind. It was nothing in the US to fly a 300 passenger DC10 with 70 people on it. With gas dirt cheap, though, and regulation on the airlines' side, everyone still made a profit. Because of that, there are few capable narrowbody aircraft the fit the demand of the time frame until the M80 and 733 are introduced. I know in DOTM2, the M81 was available from day 1, but the real workhorse of the M8X's is the 83 which will begin deliveries in 1984, I think. the 732 is good for its day, but does not have the legs required to be a workhorse in this time frame. Because of this, DOTM scenarios get interesting. This may not make then HARDER per say, but makes planning a little more interesting. As for Modern Times scenario, that $1400 fuel is killer. If you don't have a lean operation by 2007, you are done.

Don
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 01:39:07 AM »
This has been the most challenging scenarios I've played. I think the difficulty definitely surpasses the previous DOTM. I've really enjoyed this one and think that Sami got the custom formulas for fuel and economy just right.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 02:52:59 AM »
I would say that DOTM is an easy scenario from the perspective of profitability given the low fuel prices that exist for much of the game world (though Jet Age is even easier). However, the difficulty for some in DOTM is understanding how to chose the best aircraft mix for an airline's geography. If you're in LAX, then you've got no business flying DC-9s - you need a plane capable of transcons to make your money, however, in Atlanta, they're a great choice. There's also the fleet migration work that can be done to upgrade from first gen to second gen jets.

I would say that MT is the hardest of the scenarios due to the fuel prices and rampant availability of efficient jets to all players. Just about any jet works for any mission in that scenario (i.e. the 737 and A320s are versitile enough to fly just about any domesticish route) so you really don't have to think about your plane choice.

This has been the most challenging scenarios I've played. I think the difficulty definitely surpasses the previous DOTM. I've really enjoyed this one and think that Sami got the custom formulas for fuel and economy just right.

I'm tempted to join in. Are there any airports ripe for a battle?

Zabuti

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 07:58:23 AM »
hello

this is my first DOTM. I've been playing AWS occasionnally, but this time, starting was... tough !

Sounds like a game world harder than MT, but this is maybe because i'm used to MT.

but I like the huge difference and everything you learn in other game worlds doesn't help much here apart from experience basics.

let's see what it turns out to be :-)

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 12:40:35 PM »
I would say that DOTM is an easy scenario from the perspective of profitability given the low fuel prices that exist for much of the game world (though Jet Age is even easier). However, the difficulty for some in DOTM is understanding how to chose the best aircraft mix for an airline's geography. If you're in LAX, then you've got no business flying DC-9s - you need a plane capable of transcons to make your money, however, in Atlanta, they're a great choice. There's also the fleet migration work that can be done to upgrade from first gen to second gen jets.

I would say that MT is the hardest of the scenarios due to the fuel prices and rampant availability of efficient jets to all players. Just about any jet works for any mission in that scenario (i.e. the 737 and A320s are versitile enough to fly just about any domesticish route) so you really don't have to think about your plane choice.

Fuel prices are all relative and considering the most fuel efficient aircraft available right now (737 and 1-11), fuel prices are rather high in DOTM at $300+.  On top of this, interest rates have been 20% with inflation nearly as high.  I leased a brand new 1-11 worth ~$11.5 million at the time and 3 years later when I renew the lease the value of the aircraft is almost $16 million.  Most have had to reset prices every real day as inflation pushes up average prices ~$1/day.  On top of all this, the most efficient aircraft, if you can get them within a reasonable amount of time, fly only ~65% full due to the fact demand is fairly low at this point in history and on the routes that can support 100 seat aircraft almost always has competitors.  Even the largest airline in the game by most metrics that is based in Japan (King Airways) with virtually zero competition has a load factor of only ~70%.  Frankly, the only reason I'm turning a profit is because of business class.  If I didn't have a 2-class config on all my aircraft and flew 100% coach I wouldn't be making a single dollar.  Granted I'm 100% US Domestic, but the international routes have even more competition than my domestic routes.

In terms of joining, there are several airports ripe for the picking in the US--CVG, FLL, DEN, SLC, and many others...

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »

I'd say you've missed the hardest battle now as there is decent used aircraft availability and fuel and inflation have calmed down a bit (fuel ~$300/ton). I can't think of any big openings in Asia at the moment but I'll check later.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 02:20:33 PM »
In terms of joining, there are several airports ripe for the picking in the US--CVG, FLL, DEN, SLC, and many others...

I was thinking bigger than those ;-).

Maybe King needs some competition?

I'd say you've missed the hardest battle now as there is decent used aircraft availability and fuel and inflation have calmed down a bit (fuel ~$300/ton). I can't think of any big openings in Asia at the moment but I'll check later.

Ticket prices should climb quickly even though fuel will probably hold steady.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 02:25:19 PM »
Maybe King needs some competition?

Same thing as always. My demand is nearly filled while airports like Chicago, Atlanta, Paris, Amsterdam or many others still offer lots of demand and also have only big airline there.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 02:53:50 PM »
Same thing as always. My demand is nearly filled while airports like Chicago, Atlanta, Paris, Amsterdam or many others still offer lots of demand and also have only big airline there.

I see what you did there  :o

I haven't tried out Europe yet, so maybe EHAM or LFPG could be entertaining...

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 10:15:40 PM »
I don't find it harder, but slower than Molasses in January to progress in my opinion.

Zabuti

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 06:52:11 AM »
What makes it harder is the number of players in the game. IRL, there were much fewer airlines back in those times (approx; one per country)

But i like the challenge... And I wonder how can I develop with 20 000 profit a week LOL

patience is the key ;-)

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 12:03:39 PM »
What makes it harder is the number of players in the game. IRL, there were much fewer airlines back in those times (approx; one per country)

But i like the challenge... And I wonder how can I develop with 20 000 profit a week LOL

patience is the key ;-)

This actually varies depending on the country. The US deregulated the airline industry in the late 70's leading to an explosion of new carriers forming across the nation.

Zabuti

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »
This actually varies depending on the country. The US deregulated the airline industry in the late 70's leading to an explosion of new carriers forming across the nation.

didn't know that. Thx ;-)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.