Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Base airport restriction removed?  (Read 2514 times)

Offline knobbygb

• Members
Base airport restriction removed?
« on: June 12, 2011, 10:20:45 AM »
I just noticed that somebody started a second base at my homebase EWR which is the 19th biggest worldwide airport.  OK, not just 'somebody' but somebody HUGE who is going to completely screw everybody else there.  :(

I thought it was not possible to open bases in the top 20 airports. Was this removed and did I miss the announcement? Or are the "top 20" airports NOT simply the 20 that show up top on the list?

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
Re: Base airport restriction removed?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »
Newark is and was always the biggest base possibility in the US.

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:40:24 AM »
Ah right, thanks...  I specifically chose it because it was in the top 20 too - or I THOUGHT it was. I should have looked into this further.

So what are the top 20 then if they're not the first 20 in the list sorted by passengers?

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:44:05 AM »
I don't know. My first idea was Newark is not a Top20 airport in a different time line that sami used for this system, but even in Modern Times #4 in 2014 Newark is #19 and the only city that changed it's rank is Denver.

So maybe there was some adjustment to the demand or simply the percentaged bars have been changed. I might remember when I left AirwaySim for a while last quarter 2010 Newark was no Top20 airport. But that's just a supposition.

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »
Thanks.

I checked in Jet Age too and it's number 16 there.

When it gets time that I can open another base I'll try some of the other top airports and find out for sure which ones are "the 20".

ucfknightryan

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:47:34 PM »
I tried to post this from my phone the other day but Tapatalk wouldn't let me.

Large airports that are not open in whatever time period you are playing in count toward that total of 20.  Both KDEN and KDVX count toward the total, as does KDFW even if it isn't open, as do both airports in Bangkok, and the large airport in Jakarta.  I might be forgetting some too, it's been awhile since I counted all this out and I forgot to write it down somewhere.

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »
Thanks. All makes sense now. A bit of a confusing way of doing it but I can see how it's necessary from a simplicity point of view.

Actually, I'm quite enjoying the challenge of trying to survive.  The new person at EWR has dumped pretty much 180% to 200% capacity on nearly every decent route out there (and I'm sure will get the rest in the next few weeks). I'm gradually moving the least profitable aircraft over to my second base as and when needed and I think I'll just about scrape through. It's an interesting twist to the game and no hard feelings to Mr Dantes.  It just grates to give up all those VERY expensive slots I toiled for. The other guy at EWR who does a lot of domestic has just the one base and I can't see how he'll survive - must be bleeding cash right now.  Anyway, nothing wrong with a bit of "negative growth" - I'd much rather hang on than simply quit and start again - that'd be too easy.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »
Something like F27 should hurt Dantes expensive DC-9 really hard. Maybe BAC 1-11 are also an option.

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 04:09:17 AM »
Yeah, I have all the possible F27 routes covered already (up to about 450nm anyway) and they're all making a decent profit. I can't see him adding the extra fleet type just to get at those. Might experiment with them on slightly longer runs now.

The third guy bk'd overnight actually. A shame really because I notice he's not restarted and has no active airlines right now. Another disillusioned customer...

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:53:44 AM »
That's not Dantes fault. There are ways to withdraw, especially at a base airport.  Like said, get more efficient aircraft and use props as often as possible. :)

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 07:24:16 AM »
I just noticed that somebody started a second base at my homebase EWR which is the 19th biggest worldwide airport.  OK, not just 'somebody' but somebody HUGE who is going to completely screw everybody else there.  :(

I thought it was not possible to open bases in the top 20 airports. Was this removed and did I miss the announcement? Or are the "top 20" airports NOT simply the 20 that show up top on the list?

That player is quite a marauder and destroys every hub he goes into >:(

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 07:47:15 AM »
Dantes Air is a great reason why we should NOT have multiple hubs AND A-B-C-B-A routings

DanDantes

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 10:31:08 AM »
Oh dear, looks to me like it is Dan bashing time  :'(

Oh well, I better give a few answers before this gets out of hand.

knobbygb, leme know what routes I fly 180%-200% and I will change that. Never was intentional and as I dont have props so I sometimes need to put 2 DC9s return routes on a 150pax demand to fill that demand.

That player is quite a marauder and destroys every hub he goes into >:(

I remember you, it was Miami and Pittsburg in the last game. Yeah I remember you or rather the complaining that you did on a daily basis. Dont know if you understand this game that well. Opening up bases is a option in the game and is allowed. How do I destroy? I guess you mean I take over. Take a page out of knobbygb, instead of quiting your home base like you did, fight and adapt. knobbygb has a good chance to if he changes his strategy like Curse suggested..

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 01:14:34 PM »
It was PHL and it is impossible for an airline with $50m in net worth to win against an airline with $2b in net worth who floods every market and is willing to lose money in one hub because he is making tons in other hubs.

DanDantes

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 01:34:57 PM »
It was PHL and it is impossible for an airline with $50m in net worth to win against an airline with $2b in net worth who floods every market and is willing to lose money in one hub because he is making tons in other hubs.

Welcome to the world of capitalism. You will learn one day. Meanwhile if u need any help then please just ask.

Dan

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 02:31:42 PM »

It's not impossible at all. But maybe it's impossible for you.

Have you tried to contact Dan? For some kind of deal or just ask him to leave?

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 09:42:38 PM »

As much as everyone everywhere hates Mr. Dantes, every player in the game has the same exact opportunity to do what he does.  Why should he be penalized for exploiting an opportunity that others have failed to seize?  My airline has a negative net worth and I have 55% and 60% market share on the two routes to O'Hare that I compete with him on.  He's running DC9's and I'm beating him with 1-11's, so it can be done.  Furthermore, the DC9 burns ~40% more fuel than a 1-11, so I can tell you without a doubt that I am earning more profit than he is on those routes.  The key to success is patience--you're going to have to wait for competitive planes and you're going to have to strategically plan your growth to maximize your utilization and profit margins.

wapp11

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 12:53:55 PM »
Welcome to the world of capitalism. You will learn one day. Meanwhile if u need any help then please just ask.

Dan

Amen!  It took me a year to figure out how to play this game... It was when I started reading the guides from the largest players, and asking them for help is when I really figured out how to play.  (granted I'm no where near the level as Dan or Curse.)

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 08:19:45 PM »
Well Dan, as I said, I'm enjoying trying to adapt and survive and I think I'm doing not so badly. I like the challenge.  I notice the other three or four quit pretty quickly which is a shame.

Perhaps I was a bit over-the-top with the "180% to 200% on every route" comment. It just seemed that way at first - it all happened so quickly! I've no problem with what you're doing - all within the rules of the game etc. It's not as though you're actually trying to shut anyone down. Now, if you followed me to my 2nd and 3rd hubs and did the same... I'd take it personally  ;D 

I can't help wondering, to be honest though - don't you get kinda bored doing the "same" thing in every game? Is it really a challenge? Don't you every have the urge to start somewhere small and build up a smallish, efficient 2nd tier airline like many other do?  Not criticising you at all - just wondered.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 11:43:19 PM »
I can't help wondering, to be honest though - don't you get kinda bored doing the "same" thing in every game? Is it really a challenge? Don't you every have the urge to start somewhere small and build up a smallish, efficient 2nd tier airline like many other do?  Not criticising you at all - just wondered.

I allow myself to answer this because his and my gameplay are similar.

Are you a follower of a sports team or a athlete? Football? Tennis? Olympia?
How often these people think "oh, today I'm not gonna go for #1, a perfect #16 would be much more interesting!"?

How about your school time?
You ever tried not to get the best mark?

That's how things are. What's the challenge to choose a smaller airport like Port Moresby, get 10-20 economical props and maybe 5-6 narrowbodys for longer routes (what could be done in 1-2 game years, maybe faster in modern times) and then... wait ~20 years till the game ends?

Honestly the challenge to run a very big airline top airline is more challenging. Nobody is interested if your small regional airline has statistics spot #244 or #263, where there is a big difference for big airlines all from #1 to #20. It's not just get some random aircraft and throw them on some routes. And one has more often something to do and not just wait till game world ends because expansion is extremely limited - or at least expension is limited much later into the game.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.