Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: growing  (Read 668 times)

magictouch

• Former member
growing
« on: June 08, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »
how long does it or will it take me to grow my airline its been going for 5 months and ive just started to turn a profit i don't expect to grow quickly but would like an idea how long till it grows a bit and i can buy some new planes any advice would be welcome cheers

Offline LemonButt

• Members
Re: growing
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
how long does it or will it take me to grow my airline its been going for 5 months and ive just started to turn a profit i don't expect to grow quickly but would like an idea how long till it grows a bit and i can buy some new planes any advice would be welcome cheers

http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Info/Airline/1410

You've made some decisions already that are working against you being able to grow profitably.  You only have 2 aircraft and you've already got 2 fleet types.  You should try to stick to 1 fleet type starting out so your costs will be lower as it's much easier to maintain 2 of the same aircraft.  You also have some very old aircraft (15+ years old), which means they are going to be much more expensive to maintain than new ones (ABCD checks are all much more).

I'm not sure what to tell you at this point.  You basically have two options--declare bankruptcy and start over with better fleet commonality/new planes or you can try to work your way through to make your current fleet better, which is going to cost quite a bit if you cancel your leases early.  You should try to stay away from the Russian/older models as they are fuel hogs and fuel is the biggest expense you'll have in this game.  I see you're still in the demo, which means you picked a heck of a scenario to get your feet wet because fuel/interest rates in this one are very expensive and give you much less room for error.

If I were you, I'd restart your airline with better aircraft that are newer and more fuel efficient.  The 727/737 and BAC 1-11 are good choices if you can get them on the used market (it refreshes several times per game week).  The good aircraft are tough to get used because everyone wants them.  My airline is 100% BAC 1-11 and I ordered every single one new from the factory where I had to wait 2-3 game months before my first aircraft arrived.  You may want to consider starting with brand new aircraft with low maintenance costs and good fuel efficiency--you'll have to wait a couple real world days for delivery, but you'll make more money quicker than dealing with 20 year old used aircraft.  Case in point would be your An-10 you have--you're 5 months into the simulation and after 1 year you have to do a C-check, which is going to cost you $1.5 million.  You're going to be giving back most of your profits in maintenance :(

ksjoet

• Former member
Re: growing
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:00:27 PM »
You also have some very old aircraft (15+ years old), which means they are going to be much more expensive to maintain than new ones (ABCD checks are all much more).

I don't think this is an issue when you are starting up with used aircrafts on a lease. This is because the lease price is very low compared to a new plane of the same type and the total cost will be less as the lower lease price makes up for the higher maintenance costs. Also picking up older aircrafts saves you from a higher initial cost (4 month lease) to be payed upfront, meaning you can get more aircrafts faster. Just remember to try and get aircrafts with good deals (where sale price typically is lower than the value) and try to get one with a good engine type. D checks should also be far ahead and you should get rid of the airplane when a D check is closing in. If you really pay attention and there are loads of used planes on the market you can look for planes with C checks for 10-11.9 months, lease the plane for one year and then dump it right before the C check is due. This saves you money, but is alittle more work.

This gets you starting and growing fast and when you've established yourself you can start ordering new planes by getting yourself in the production queues.

To get a better comparison of the airplanes and leases you can check out this Excel sheet:
http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,31027.0.html
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:10:54 PM by ksjoet »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.