Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: I Love You But You Just Dont Work  (Read 845 times)

Online ekaneti

• Members
I Love You But You Just Dont Work
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:59:47 AM »
Ok, I tried a challenge but its turning out harder than I expected

Using Russian Planes in the USSR

Even the more "efficient" IL-18 and AN-24/26 are nearly impossible to make money. MX is sky high (I cancel the leases on my planes before C check and just get new ones saving $500,000 per aircraft)
Markets in USSR are small usually not more than one flight per day so RI is very slow to build
Distances are large which makes flights fuel intensive but even with relatively low fuel prices it is impossible to make consistent profits. Siberia-Moscow flights withing range of the IL-18s are chronically unprofitable even with 80% LF.

I am not using TU154 or TU134s, but IL-18s. I am making at best $150,000 per week. But it gets eaten up quickly by when MX comes due. On top of that LFs are very slow to build.

Ill be transitioning to western aircraft as soon as I can  :'(

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
Re: I Love You But You Just Dont Work
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 04:03:53 PM »
It's good to see you've tried the Soviet Union with Soviet Aircraft, but it just shows how poorly they perform in the AWS theatre.  I think you've done a brave trial, maybe once/eventually/at some point in the far distant future when city demand is modelled it may be a different story, but for now it's a shame it can't be made viable  :-\.

Offline Minto Typhoon

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:11:28 AM »
The 18's are a good money earner if you remember to allocate enough cash for the c checks. The lease costs are tiny, they fly fast, have good capacity, a great range and are reliable. I've become the largest airline in china through using the '18's - a fleet of i and d versions are the ones to acquire and I'm operating nearly 50 of them. 

Don't knock them so quickly as they are a good way to build scale whilst awaiting for modern aircraft to arrive.

Offline Dan380

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:07:13 PM »
I remember I did this in one of my first AWS games. Very tough but was a lot of fun. I think I was using Tu154, IL86 and maybe one more type I can't remember, in a Jet Age game. The main problem I found was that there was no choice in aircraft, i.e. for long haul the only option was the IL86. Which meant I had to make do with aircraft that weren't suited for the markets I needed. Subsequently high costs > low LFs.

Many IRL russian airlines have historically been strongly subsidised by the government, and the same with the manufacturers, they sold cheap to russian airlines in return for subsidies. AWS doesn't simulate this and that's part of the problem. Recently we've seen the rise of more private operators in russia, and oh what do you know, they're all buying western aircraft.  ;)

Online ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:19:32 PM »
I found the IL-18s to be pretty good until fuel went up over $300. I was making over 350k per week until fuel and C checks hit at the same time. $900,000 for C-check is too much to sustain. So I dump the planes and get new ones as C check expires.

China is much much smaller than the USSR with 5x the population so I bet a lot of your flights are short and you have multiple daily frequencies in your markets. This helps a lot to gets your loads up and keep costs down. AWS game is heavily biased to short haul flights as fares are highest per mile flown on short flights. I ran an airline in the Philippines in Modern World using only ATR-72s flying markets as much as 7-9x daily and even with fuel at over $1000 I was making over a 30% profit margin, none of my flights were over 500 NM. I was consistently the most profitable airline in the game.

In the USSR the only markets that are short range and large for multiple flights are DME/SVO to LED. Other than that youre looking at long haul single daily flights which are very hard to build to profitability. My DME-LED market is making about a 35% margin even with competition.  :o

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.