Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: How do you motivate unmotivated staff?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
How do you motivate unmotivated staff?
« on: May 25, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
When I started at my new base there was no aircraft decent enough to amke even a small profit from o nthe used makret and because of the poor way in which auto hire staff is on as soon as you create your company I had staff surplus to requirements so I fired them all and reduced pay to zero afterwards. (couldnt get any decent aircraft and wasnt going to pay them when I had no income coming in).  Eventually I found a couple of decent used aircraft and now I cant motivate my staff and my CI is continuing to drop and I am suffering a ridiculous amount of cancellations adn delays over 40% in both cases!!! I cant very well afford to pay my staff 4 x what they are worth to motivate them into the very low +10 morale bracket!

So come on SAMI how do I get them performing better without holding a gun to their head and threaten death if they dont work???  :-\
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:15:05 PM by ukatlantic »

Offline MidlandDeltic

• Members
Re: How do you motivate unmotivated staff?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 03:41:19 PM »
When I started at my new base there was no aircraft decent enough to amke even a small profit from o nthe used makret and because of the poor way in which auto hire staff is on as soon as you create your company I had staff surplus to requirements so I fired them all and reduced pay to zero afterwards. (couldnt get any decent aircraft and wasnt going to pay them when I had no income coming in).  Eventually I found a couple of decent used aircraft and now I cant motivate my staff and my CI is continuing to drop and I am suffering a ridiculous amount of cancellations adn delays over 40% in both cases!!! I cant very well afford to pay my staff 4 x what they are worth to motivate them into the very low +10 morale bracket!

So come on SAMI how do I get them performing better without holding a gun to their head and threaten death if they dont work???  :-\

So you sacked some staff and paid the rest nothing?  I think my morale would be rock bottom in that case :)  In short, you will have to grin and bear it I suspect.  To raise CI you will  have to spend a LOT on general marketing campaigns.

MD

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:52:13 PM »
So you sacked some staff and paid the rest nothing?  I think my morale would be rock bottom in that case :)  In short, you will have to grin and bear it I suspect.  To raise CI you will  have to spend a LOT on general marketing campaigns.

MD

No I sacked ALL staff then dropped the wages to nothing, not the other way round - :o

Offline MidlandDeltic

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »
This was your home base, right?  First, are you now paying your staff, and have sufficient employed?  To get morale up you will have to pay over the odds, and possibly hire more staff than necessary, accepting the loss for a spell.  You say there were no suitable aircaft, but I note you have a Viscount - they have been available continuously in this game.

Frankly, I would have bankrupted and started again!

MD

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 05:39:54 PM »
This was your home base, right?  First, are you now paying your staff, and have sufficient employed?  To get morale up you will have to pay over the odds, and possibly hire more staff than necessary, accepting the loss for a spell.  You say there were no suitable aircaft, but I note you have a Viscount - they have been available continuously in this game.

Frankly, I would have bankrupted and started again!

MD

I'm going to b/k again, but it is ridiculous, there needs to be a function where you should be able to sack the staff first and then drop wages without the wages having any bearing on future morale as you had no staff in the first place to drop it to -100! What a poor personnel management sytem we have, I didnt think it was too bad apart from the constant requests for stupid pay rises at the ened of the day the staff ask for a level of pay and the company negotiate down but you can't even do that here without upsetting the poor little darlings  ::)

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »
If the amount of staff that must be fired small and your airline big, it could be a move to employ them - also you don't need them anymore.

When you have fire huge amounts of people, 3-6 month worldwide TV campaign could help.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 09:07:45 PM »
Staff morale raises or decreases SLOWLY according to what their salary is (vs. the country's nominal salary, or their request for payraise) and what their number is (vs. the required number).

It takes at least a few months for the morale to raise let's say 30 points.

(and player actions like staff sacking can make the morale drop FAST)

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:11:36 PM »
Staff morale raises or decreases SLOWLY according to what their salary is (vs. the country's nominal salary, or their request for payraise) and what their number is (vs. the required number).

It takes at least a few months for the morale to raise let's say 30 points.

(and player actions like staff sacking can make the morale drop FAST)

Your not kidding! it went to -100 instantly, I've had a better start 5th time around  :-[,

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 09:35:23 PM »
Maybe something that should be fixed.

If I fire 200 of all 200 small pilots and hire 200 medium ones, staff shouldn't be angry at me. And how can a group have a moral of -100 when nobody's working in this group?

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 09:36:29 PM »
Maybe something that should be fixed.

If I fire 200 of all 200 small pilots and hire 200 medium ones, staff shouldn't be angry at me. And how can a group have a moral of -100 when nobody's working in this group?

They don't. But if you rehire them, then they have a morale of -100. and you have to rehire in order to restart your airline.
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 09:43:40 PM »
I think what I wanted to say is clear. It's realistic to fire people and as long as re-train isn't possible in AWS, the moral decreases shouldn't this overextreme.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 10:22:08 PM »
People are let go in real life too. Especially if a carrier is losing money. Hate to do it, but sometimes...

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 06:52:11 AM »
They don't. But if you rehire them, then they have a morale of -100. and you have to rehire in order to restart your airline.

Sorry you are wrong and are giving poor advice - again .  I had NO Staff in ANY group (was hopng to save costs whilst I waited for a couple of new aircraft) and when I did rehire it still dropped Morale to -100 even for the groups that had NO staff in the first place at the end of the day I can understand for staff that were sacked initially to have low morale but to automatically effect other groups where there was no staff in the first place and to such a huge degree it it shouldnt happen.  An example in a RL scenario would be BA their Cabin Crew weren't happy with their pay offer as widely publicised in the news, however it didn't effect their Pilots Morale or the Ground Staff at Check-In, those guys still got up every day and went to work and offered a service to their passengers inline with what they would do normally and so did some of the cabin crew who didnt agree with the strike action in the first pace, but their morale was didn't lower because of the new terms and conditions that BA were attempting to impose on the Cabin Crew as it didn not affect them directly.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 09:04:12 AM »
You cannot cheat by firing all staff just to save costs and then some days/weeks later rehire everybody and expect the morale to be normal +50-70.

Offline MidlandDeltic

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 09:56:16 AM »
An example in a RL scenario would be BA their Cabin Crew weren't happy with their pay offer as widely publicised in the news, however it didn't effect their Pilots Morale or the Ground Staff at Check-In, those guys still got up every day and went to work and offered a service to their passengers inline with what they would do normally and so did some of the cabin crew who didnt agree with the strike action in the first pace, but their morale was didn't lower because of the new terms and conditions that BA were attempting to impose on the Cabin Crew as it didn not affect them directly.

You obviously were not reading the Pprune forum on the BA dispute.  Morale across the airline WAS affected, as the dispute (by SOME of the CC) caused everyone to wonder about their futures.  To add to the simile, the Mixed Fleet staff (recruited on new conditions) certainly have concerns.

Look at it this way - even new employees know, or get to know, the company history fairly quickly, and IRL if you work for a "hire and fire" type operation your morale is always fragile particularly in times of downturn.

I think you are making a mistake in trying to start, then wait for the ideal aircraft.  Get a plane in the air, even on a one year lease, to get started.  Even with no aircraft, spending on the few start-up staff in the short term is better than encountering the issues you clearly are.

MD

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »
I agree.

That said, I think that the required staff should be 0, or very few management personnel before you've even scheduled your first aircraft.
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »
You cannot cheat by firing all staff just to save costs and then some days/weeks later rehire everybody and expect the morale to be normal +50-70.

I was NOT attempting to 'cheat', that wasn't the case  :o   I was trying to save paying out any money whatsoever in order to save for when a decent aircraft/s came up for lease (as it stood the first day the airlinewas in existance it lost $7k in staff costs for staff I didnt want to have yet) be that 1 week or 2 months later. As it happend within a week some stuff did come up, now I dont expect morale to be automatically rasied to +50 or + 70 and that was not was I was wanting!! But I don't expect to see all staff have a -100 morale I would expect severely lowered moral for the groups which were initially sacked but not -100 across the board.  Anyway its done now and I restarted and am doing alright.

Offline Unbornio

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »
Sack everyone and whip everyone back into their place!  :laugh:

OR

Set an example by setting your salary at 0, so other employees may follow.
Beta Tester

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.