Why is RyanAir so persistent?

Started by MRFREAK, May 24, 2011, 04:37:59 PM

MRFREAK

I wish to start a debate.  :o

Why is RyanAir so persistent, that they are whining over the fact that the authorities has closed down the airspace over north england? All the other companies thinks its a shame and that there's nothing to do about it. But why must RyanAir whine about it? Do they simply not care about peoples safety comes first? Are they just greedy? Are they right about the fact that the ashcloud isn't dangerous? Or is it just one of Michael O'Leary's (sorry for these words and no harms ment by it) stupid attention w***ish "advertising"?

or what do you guys think?  :-\

ucfknightryan

I think that O'Leary will say/do just about anything to get the press talking about Ryanair, as opposed to having to pay for ads.  It's why, every once in awhile, they talk about charging to use the toilet.  They'll never actually do that, because a) if they did they'd have drunk tourists urinating in the cabin rather than pay and b) it would probably depress drink sales, but it's a great fallback to get the media up in arms.

alexgv1

Simple really, no planes in the sky equals no money generated to pay staff, rent, etc. I'd be ranting too. It's not like it's an act of God stopping them from flying it's just the stupid EU not knowing what it's dealing with again.

The funny thing is, more modern engines are actually more succeptible to loss of thrust from ash because of higher TETs (turbine entry temperatures) due to materials advances. That's why you never saw this problem before the 1980's. Think the first case was the RB211 on a 747-400 (the BA captain was a nice guy). Hence there has been no developmen really in detection or avoidance of this problem.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

GEnx

Quote from: ucfknightryan on May 24, 2011, 04:57:58 PM
I think that O'Leary will say/do just about anything to get the press talking about Ryanair, as opposed to having to pay for ads.  It's why, every once in awhile, they talk about charging to use the toilet.  They'll never actually do that, because a) if they did they'd have drunk tourists urinating in the cabin rather than pay and b) it would probably depress drink sales, but it's a great fallback to get the media up in arms.

In my opinion that is quite negative publicity. Just like their idea of standing-places in the aircraft, it's absurd and only contributes to Ryanair's already poor image. The only reason I'm flying them is because they're so bloody cheap, not because they appear in the news so often.

alexgv1

Quote from: Quinoky on May 24, 2011, 05:08:20 PM
In my opinion that is quite negative publicity. Just like their idea of standing-places in the aircraft, it's absurd and only contributes to Ryanair's already poor image. The only reason I'm flying them is because they're so bloody cheap, not because they appear in the news so often.

As they say there's no such thing as bad publicity...

Hence why they pull the odd PR stunt.

Like in my CI thread, depends if they're chasing public awareness or public perception.

GEnx

Quote from: alexgv1 on May 24, 2011, 05:13:07 PM

Like in my CI thread, depends if they're chasing public awareness or public perception.

Well it's fairly obvious that they only want to raise awareness, since their one and only selling point is being cheap. Their service is really quite s***, plainly put. :P

NorgeFly

Michael O'Leary is a joke! Listening to him on TV today he clearly has no clue what he is talking about... for a start he didn't seem to know whether he was talking the UK CAA, the IAA or NATS half the time. But why let the facts get in way of a good rant!

castelino009

Quote from: NorgeFly on May 24, 2011, 06:41:33 PM
Michael O'Leary is a joke! Listening to him on TV today he clearly has no clue what he is talking about... for a start he didn't seem to know whether he was talking the UK CAA, the IAA or NATS half the time. But why let the facts get in way of a good rant!

He is a disgrace to aviation industry- even plane makers don't want to sell him planes anymore, what more I can say  :P

cheers
VJC

alexgv1

Quote from: V.Castelino on May 24, 2011, 06:53:16 PM
He is a disgrace to aviation industry- even plane makers don't want to sell him planes anymore, what more I can say  :P

cheers
VJC

Funny, a couple of years ago Boeing was gagging to sell him planes he was buying 737-800s with 30-50% off the list price, just because he bought when the books were looking thin.

I think his threats to change to Airbus might have damaged his relation with them a little bit though.

But you can't argue with a man running over 300 737-800s and at his peak took delivery of 52 per year (1/week).

MRFREAK

Quote from: alexgv1 on May 24, 2011, 05:13:07 PM

As the biggest man in danish travelling business Mr. Simon Spies said and i quote here; "Even bad publicity is good publicity"

But still... Michael O'leary is a very annoying person. RyanAir once got kicked out of Aarhus Airport in Denmark, simply because the danish aviation association found out that they paid much lesser than the other airlines flying there, which got Aarhus Airport to claim more money, RyanAir refused, and then they got kicked out. I'm not quite sure, but i think they also got a fine for that.

Also i heard something about RyanAir got into bad situation with Shannon Airport, can anyone confirm this as once again, stupid publicity stunt or was that the real deal?

GEnx

Quote from: MRFREAK on May 24, 2011, 08:31:23 PM
As the biggest man in danish travelling business Mr. Simon Spies said and i quote here; "Even bad publicity is good publicity"

Right, but let's be honest here.. Does any of the Ryanair kind of publicity came across to you as "good publicity"? The only thing they did was p*** people off, in fact this very thread confirms this yet again.

NorgeFly

Quote from: Quinoky on May 24, 2011, 08:34:37 PM
Right, but let's be honest here.. Does any of the Ryanair kind of publicity came across to you as "good publicity"? The only thing they did was p*** people off, in fact this very thread confirms this yet again.

Yeah that's true, yet millions of people choose to fly with them every year! I never have and never will.

slither360

Quote from: Quinoky on May 24, 2011, 05:08:20 PM

See, this is exactly what they want.

They aren't going to convince anyone that they are a "quality" airline, so they don't waste their time. They pull stunts like this, and the world finds out that they are a s*** airline with cheap prices. And when one needs to fly somewhere cheaply and doesn't care if it is a s*** airline, the first place they look is RyanAir, whether or not they know that the airline is s***.

Very simple

GEnx

I know, Cactus. That's what I said in an earlier post: they are only raising public awareness since they have nothing to offer except dirt cheap flights.

[ATA] - lilius

I know that Ryanair are making plenty of questionable deals here and there and Im not fond of it everytime. However, I wonder when it comes to safety if they even have a record of incidents?

"they have nothing to offer except dirt cheap flights." - do they need anything else?

GEnx

Quote from: lilius on May 24, 2011, 09:30:04 PM
"they have nothing to offer except dirt cheap flights." - do they need anything else?

With their business model, definitely not. And that's exactly why, like I said, they only need to (and only do) raise public awareness in order to get their business going.

[ATA] - lilius

Quote from: Quinoky on May 24, 2011, 10:01:00 PM
With their business model, definitely not. And that's exactly why, like I said, they only need to (and only do) raise public awareness in order to get their business going.

ok, got it  :)

alexgv1

Quote from: lilius on May 24, 2011, 09:30:04 PM
However, I wonder when it comes to safety if they even have a record of incidents?

From an inside source: As far back as the 1980's one thing that was never compromised was safety at Ryanair. Safety is the number one thing in any airline, low cost or not. Period. (At least for Western airlines, Adam Airlines in SE Asia was closed down for their bad maintenance a few years ago).

However, all LCCs have been coming under criticism for pilots making bad judgements (e.g. overspeed landings, continuing unstable approaches, etc.) because they are under such pressure to meet their tight schedules that they cannot afford the time lost for a go around.

EYguy

I fly Ryanair only when there's no other option.
When you fly for business and you have to pay for every kilogram you put on the a/c, you realize that Ryanair is not cheaper than other airlines. I wuld rather fly Lufthansa paying a bit more but without the worry of how much weight I take aboard, or what to do if a volcanic cloud messes up everything, I can get peltny of drinks during my flight and if the company makes a misteake, they pay for it without whining.

O'Leary is the classic irish: he plays the wisemouth but as soon as he see some troubles he starts whining like a child. When the business is not doing as he expected to, he starts shooting to everyone. Oh, look, Ireland is almost broke and the banks are tightening the ropes for the credit to companies? O'Leary says that he will "think about" the next a/c order...

O'Leary is just an accountant that should do what accoutants do: sit in an office filling in Tax Office forms and shut up his mouth, leaving the business to people who run airlines for a living.
And stop whining about a rule which is hitting hard everybody in the industry.

castelino009

Quote from: NorgeFly on May 24, 2011, 08:38:06 PM
Yeah that's true, yet millions of people choose to fly with them every year! I never have and never will.

me too, until I have no other choice and only way to fly I wont fly that airline.