Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: 3 years down...16 boring years to go  (Read 6268 times)

Offline LemonButt

• Members
3 years down...16 boring years to go
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:25:51 AM »
Anyone else bored with this scenario already?  I have 30+ new planes on order still and get 1 or 2 deliveries per real game day, but have extremely few options to fly them to due to slot restrictions.  I've got a fair amount of slots left in Taipei (thankfully) but all of the destinations are booked solid.  Anyone else feel like this game has already ended for them?  I've got 80 planes out of Taipei and realize that most routes will be longer range due to my isolation, but damn near every route within a 3000 nm radius I'm already flying or can't schedule due to slot restrictions.  It won't be too long before i'll be stuck with new planes with 3 year leases with no routes to fly :(

L1011fan

• Former member
Re: 3 years down...16 boring years to go
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 01:44:13 AM »
I will agree that it does seem that way and I think its time demand were pushed up on all city pairs. But hang in there, it does start moving quicker, but this time just not as quick as the previous jet age games. I have a Boeing 707-320B that was all set to fly SJU-MAD. Its doing SJU-BOS duty now. Not what I had intended but luckily the demand to BOS was there. :P

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:46:46 AM »
Yep. But not only all destinations are blocked, also my base has no slots left. So I wait every year for new slots at my airport and some destination airports that are still unserved, but mostly I already have enough seats even for future increase of pax on most routes...

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 04:02:41 AM »
So when do more slots become available?

I realise that pax demand is dynamic and increases by a small percentage at intervals but surely slots increase will be wholesale as airports expand, yes?  I haven't seen any yet - does this appear in the announcements?

I enjoy the game being 'slow' at the moment - it gives me time to be a perfectionist - tweak every detail rather than just storming ahead to be huge.  I think more and more of my future income will come from leased-out a/c though. I REFUSE to pay tax so I just keep ordering aircraft I know I'll never fly.

Offline EYguy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:37:29 AM »
Slots should increase about 1 slot per hr every year, but this doesn't happen every year. Tokyo Haneda didn't have any slot increase in the last 2 yrs...
The slots are usually released for purchase on Jan 1st of every year, but this is the only thing I know. LHR had some new slots at the beginning of this year but Haneda hadn't any for the 2nd year in a row.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:22:24 PM »
So when do more slots become available?

I realise that pax demand is dynamic and increases by a small percentage at intervals but surely slots increase will be wholesale as airports expand, yes?  I haven't seen any yet - does this appear in the announcements?

I enjoy the game being 'slow' at the moment - it gives me time to be a perfectionist - tweak every detail rather than just storming ahead to be huge.  I think more and more of my future income will come from leased-out a/c though. I REFUSE to pay tax so I just keep ordering aircraft I know I'll never fly.

In regards to being a perfectionist, I think of maximizing fleet utilization.  Unfortunately due to the slot situation, I have many aircraft only flying a few hours/day as they cannot fly anywhere else at other times :(  Thankfully the profit margins are huge and it doesn't matter.  Also, if you are buying aircraft to lease out, there has to  be someone who actually wants to lease a plane, which is becoming more and more scarce.

GEnx

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 01:27:31 PM »
LB, I think there is still lots of stuff you can undertake.. Keep in mind that the demand will increase a whole lot in the forthcoming years so eventually, you'll be able to serve lots of routes into Europe. Also, streamlining your fleet is a very nice way to keep you occupied and to be honest, the slot situation at TPE isn't that bad. Especially compared to European and US airports, TPE still has more than enough daily slots left.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 02:33:20 PM »
LB, I think there is still lots of stuff you can undertake.. Keep in mind that the demand will increase a whole lot in the forthcoming years so eventually, you'll be able to serve lots of routes into Europe. Also, streamlining your fleet is a very nice way to keep you occupied and to be honest, the slot situation at TPE isn't that bad. Especially compared to European and US airports, TPE still has more than enough daily slots left.

You are correct that TPE has plenty of slots left, but where exactly am I supposed to fly?  Tokyo, Bangkok, etc. all have zero or near-zero slots left.  I'd love to add more routes to Europe/US, but planes with the needed range can only be delivered so quickly...I have 21 Tu-114 (longest range plane avail and shortest lead time) on order and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll actually be able to schedule them when they are delivered.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 02:51:51 PM »
In Europe all interesting long-haul airports are also out of slots.

GEnx

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 03:09:09 PM »
You are correct that TPE has plenty of slots left, but where exactly am I supposed to fly?  Tokyo, Bangkok, etc. all have zero or near-zero slots left.  I'd love to add more routes to Europe/US, but planes with the needed range can only be delivered so quickly...I have 21 Tu-114 (longest range plane avail and shortest lead time) on order and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll actually be able to schedule them when they are delivered.

Now that's something a cooperating alliance can perfectly solve. ;)

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 03:17:24 PM »
Nope. Giving slots to other airlines is not allowed. As you may remember I gave away EGLL slots in my last Jet Age/WorldLink game and sami pleased me to stop this immediately.

Also it is not allowed to buy slots at the start of the game and rebuy them until you have aircraft for this. It's part of the slot hogging rule.

In fact there are no possibilities if you want to stay legal.

GEnx

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 03:20:55 PM »
Right but then you weren't actually based there. When an alliance member streamlines his fleet, mostly slots will be freed (e.g. they did when I replaced my C46's) and it is perfectly legal to notify another alliance member that you are releasing those particular slots. That's different than just giving them away.

Sulton111

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 02:46:44 PM »
Im flying out of BRS all routes are being served unless i can pick up long haul aircraft also BFS is toally full on short to mid haul routes

so my 2 bases i really cant do anything - i have already done route utilisation and sold my c46s so my average aircraft age is much lower than it was im fighting for scraps which dont pay

so not really sure what to do next any ideas?

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 03:27:47 PM »
Nope. Giving slots to other airlines is not allowed. As you may remember I gave away EGLL slots in my last Jet Age/WorldLink game and sami pleased me to stop this immediately.

Also it is not allowed to buy slots at the start of the game and rebuy them until you have aircraft for this. It's part of the slot hogging rule.

In fact there are no possibilities if you want to stay legal.

If I remember correctly you were grabbing slots purely to re-distribute them to other players as you saw fit. While very admirable that you would help out that way, it is not the same as someone dropping a route so that an alliance-mate can start one.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 03:43:19 PM »
Nah, I mainly grabbed them to make sure the guy at EGLL can't use them :D

I see the difference, but just wanted to make some fun of all the new and mostly stupid rules that appear here everywhere instead of solving the problems ;)

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
Slots should increase about 1 slot per hr every year, but this doesn't happen every year. Tokyo Haneda didn't have any slot increase in the last 2 yrs...
The slots are usually released for purchase on Jan 1st of every year, but this is the only thing I know. LHR had some new slots at the beginning of this year but Haneda hadn't any for the 2nd year in a row.

Thanks for the head up!  I just manged to get 19 - that's NINETEEN new daily slots at HND because I just happened to online on 1st January.  Totally forgot the time - just coincidence and I probably would not have even bothered looking had you not mentioned it.  None of the other Japan based airlines got any as far as I can tell so I hope none of them read this!  :P  :P  :P

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »
Anyone else bored with this scenario already? 

No.

Offline lazerr11

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 03:34:39 AM »
Why can't it be modeled into the game if all the slots are taken at an airport, but there is still pax demand, that neighboring airports all of a sudden have an increase in pax demand?  For instance, ORD is full, so people start flying out of Midway.  I know this isn't supposed to be a mirror image of real life, but this is something that could be put into the game to make it better. 

forsberc

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 09:56:40 AM »
Why can't it be modeled into the game if all the slots are taken at an airport, but there is still pax demand, that neighboring airports all of a sudden have an increase in pax demand?  For instance, ORD is full, so people start flying out of Midway.  I know this isn't supposed to be a mirror image of real life, but this is something that could be put into the game to make it better. 

This is coming 1.3. I'm not sure about slots affecting it, but supposedly, it will be CITY based demand, not airport.

http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,3260.60.html  <- That is a good article. Check around the forum a little bit too and you'll find some more info.

Oh, and ya, I'm not bored yet either. I am currently running a small aircraft commuter outfit with 10-50 seat planes. It's a fun challenge as you don't get the huge profits as in the larger aircraft.

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »
This is coming 1.3. I'm not sure about slots affecting it, but supposedly, it will be CITY based demand, not airport.

http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,3260.60.html  <- That is a good article. Check around the forum a little bit too and you'll find some more info.

Oh, and ya, I'm not bored yet either. I am currently running a small aircraft commuter outfit with 10-50 seat planes. It's a fun challenge as you don't get the huge profits as in the larger aircraft.

City based demand won't be ready for 1.3, it's a big leap forward from we currently have.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.