Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: ticket pricing for supersonic jets  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Andriy

• Members
ticket pricing for supersonic jets
« on: May 02, 2011, 01:37:07 PM »
Is there any special "provision" in the game for pricing on supersonic (Tu144/Concorde) jets? It would make sense that one would pay a much higher price for flying Concorde than flying B707 on the same route - but does it work in the game?

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
Re: ticket pricing for supersonic jets
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:39:21 PM »
Should there be one? Yes (both in my opinion and in real life)
Is there one? No (increasing price will kill your LF just like it would on any other plane)
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 01:45:18 PM »
Is there any special "provision" in the game for pricing on supersonic (Tu144/Concorde) jets? It would make sense that one would pay a much higher price for flying Concorde than flying B707 on the same route - but does it work in the game?

Aircraft speed is taken into account on passenger preferences, but not to the stage where you could raise the prices by any significant amount.

To use them effectively, try fitting them with all high density or standard business as those fares are roughly three times higher than economy and reflect more real life pricing (considering the service offered on Concorde wasn't really economy class).

Just make sure your CI is high enough to fill your aircraft as there is some "magic carpet" protection not allowing you to usually operate an aircraft with full C/F class config unless your CI is high.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 03:08:41 PM »
Passengers flying BA from LHR to JFK/JFK to LHR on Concorde used to pay a massive premium for what was basically no better than an Economy Plus seat. The speed and the service was the attraction. I think fares were around 12,000 return!

Offline Andriy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »
Thats the point! And I think it could be easily "programmed", just some factor (x3 or x5) for TU144/Concorde seat pricing - that way it would be start becoming interesting to operate those planes as well as make the game more reallistic

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:22:04 PM »
The Concorde/Concordski is a massive failure in this game.  Avoid it like the CRJ1

GEnx

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:41:11 PM »
Passengers flying BA from LHR to JFK/JFK to LHR on Concorde used to pay a massive premium for what was basically no better than an Economy Plus seat. The speed and the service was the attraction. I think fares were around 12,000 return!

That's because the speed was the premium, not the seat. However, if 3x Concorde pricing is included in AirwaySim, I suspect many airlines to massively order the type and flood any sufficiently Y-seat demanded long haul route with them, which means your only real option will be the Concorde for long haul.

I mean, it really is a special kind of flying, something only business passengers would fly. Therefore, I think the economy demand of a certain long haul route does not reflect the demand for a Concorde flight, but the business class demand certainly does.. Which would mean that the current model is actually quite accurate. Only business passengers flying the Concorde would make it work, that's the point. I really think a full high density C-class configured Concorde reflects the real world quite accurately.

To make a long story short: everything is modeled the way it should be. :)

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:09:24 PM »
That's because the speed was the premium, not the seat. However, if 3x Concorde pricing is included in AirwaySim, I suspect many airlines to massively order the type and flood any sufficiently Y-seat demanded long haul route with them, which means your only real option will be the Concorde for long haul.

I mean, it really is a special kind of flying, something only business passengers would fly. Therefore, I think the economy demand of a certain long haul route does not reflect the demand for a Concorde flight, but the business class demand certainly does.. Which would mean that the current model is actually quite accurate. Only business passengers flying the Concorde would make it work, that's the point. I really think a full high density C-class configured Concorde reflects the real world quite accurately.

Word.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:53:27 AM »

I agree with everything but the last sentence.  While it could be done better, I think that there should be a demand for this type of travel all by itself.

Ilyushin

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 11:43:20 AM »
You will make a profit in HD seating only if you own the aircraft with a fuel price at around $30-50.. So don't bother leasing them! (This only counts for the Tu-144)

GEnx

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 12:59:13 PM »
I agree with everything but the last sentence.  While it could be done better, I think that there should be a demand for this type of travel all by itself.

What kind of demand type are you thinking of? Because I still think the demand for the Concorde is defined as business travelers (for example, those who want to save valuable business time traveling from North America to Europe for a business meeting).

Offline ACDennison

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 04:43:34 PM »
I'd support a 'supersonic premium' of around 2x ticket price, no more though.  You could even have this set as part of airline pricing, varying from 1.0 to 2.5x basic rate (over 2.0 would cause your LF to fall though, so 2x would be the realistic limit).  A good idea overall :)

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 05:08:58 PM »
I'm in the believe that the Concorde never broke even in revenue service, the fuel spike around late 70s killed any hope that the aircraft could be the way of the future. They were kept operational just because of the "Concorde maketing".

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.